Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-22-2017, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
A friend of mine plans to lose a large sum of money buying/selling/changing cars a few times a year. By large sum I mean $20kish...it's his thing. the guy has owned something like 50+ cars...

One thing this thread reminds me is being grateful I am a stock size. I have no idea how the OP could entertain sizes from 58-63 but having seen some of his setups in the gallery, these aren't faster backwards shopping carts. 30 frames seems excessive over just spending some money to get a fit but we all have our indulgences.

There's only one or two that were really not within the fit range - the rest could have worked, but weren't just right for one reason or another.

One lesson I did learn, or at least am trying to, is don't get OCD about everything matching as far as finishing kit, group, etc. until you know if you're keeping it long term. Not that big of a deal, but did add hassle and expense.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
If your wife doesn't mind and you don't mind, don't worry about it. I've had two friends drown while on family vacations, which places things in perspective in terms of where life can quickly take you...without you necessarily agreeing to go there. Enjoy life while you can and keep on posting your nice bikes.

Man, that's awful. We are super fragile and all headed to the same place eventually - in the meantime, let's have fun, be our best selves, and take good care of eachother..
Old 08-22-2017, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
that pic is friggin' hilarious.

perspective: most of y'all realize that, if you're married, your wife has bought more clothes than you'll ever know about, brought 'em home, tried 'em on (at least 491 times), then finally changed her mind and returned 'em to store....

that process makes our 39t friend here look like he's conducting mere child's play with respect to his multiple bike nibbles.

That is so true. My wife always does that. Drives me nuts.

Enjoy the hobby in any way you chose. I think we all have one of the healthiest obsessions around.

Funny to think of how different sports allow for different buying standards. I'm a lifelong ice hockey goalie. We are weird about equipment that we like and fits us. I once had a tailor sew extensions on my chest arms combo when I outgrew them in high school because I thought new ones would make me a sieve.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk
Old 08-22-2017, 08:15 PM

I think I only went through about a bakers dozen in the past year. Thanks for making my excessive and impulsive bike buying look a bit tame, but it is a fun and great hobby compared to lots of other things out there. Up until a few weeks ago I had an excessive amount of time and filled it with bike building, buying and riding. I've had the opportunity to own and ride many dream bikes and I am glad I did!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
Wow, you make me and Hilltopper look like amateurs. what a fun year!
Old 08-22-2017, 08:51 PM

The problem isn't that you bought too many bikes... The problem is that you bought them all in the wrong size! Those numbers should all read 55 or 56 SHEESH!
Old 08-22-2017, 09:42 PM

Man I know how you feel. Been there too many times. My luck is, that I have a stack of frames that fit me well, and I ride them on top of being able to ride off the peg 60-63 cm frames..

I've only ever bought 2 that I can think of that didn't fit like I'd hoped (or I didnt know any better upon purchasing). One was my first road frame, second I'm gonna try to sell off to a buddy before too long. I've got a third that is just a touch too small, but I still enjoy the way it rides (and its super cool) and have a friend that will buy it if I ever sell.

You had at least two that I'd have bought, had timing been different, but they are in good places now. Glad you got back on some that fit well and have been able to share your experiences with us all here.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:03 PM

Wow....that's an aggressive list of activity for a year. Heck, I've been through less bikes in 10yrs and I tend to swap out more than most.

Do you really know what your fit measurements are? Looking at your rationale for selling I'd say no. I keep a spreadsheet of my fit dimensions and the specs on every bike I've ever owned. That way when I get the jones to try something new, I can compare it to previous bikes and contrast against why I didn't like that fit. Without that you're just guessing, which sounds like is the case if you're bouncing between 62-58 across so many brands.

Was it Simon or Garfunkel who said it best? "Slow down, you move to fast....you've got to make the feeling last"
Old 08-22-2017, 10:57 PM

I can relate, man. And so can my wife.

Nice honest post.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:59 PM

Alright, if I parse this a little further, here's how they broke down:

For wifey: 1
For the parts (intentional re-sale: 4
Returned: 3
Didn't really ride: 5
Rode a few times: 10
Significant miles: 5
Pending: 3

It's not so crazy when you break it down. But I do wish I'd gone slower on some of these. That's a lesson learned - though going slower on one of them may have meant missing another - can't go back and see what would have been by just changing one variable.

I do have most of the sizing details of the ones I rode a few times and decided weren't for me (but sizing wasn't the only factor); and the ones I've put significant miles on I have all the data. The sizes I listed were nominal, not normalized to account for measuring differences and STA/HTA variation. I still don't really understand stack and reach..

At this point though, I do know that in a traditional road setup (STA/HTA 73ish) I need a 58-58.5TT and 110-120mm stem off a 15-20mm setback post and with 8-10cm drop. That's my comfortable road position for 20-75mi rides over mixed terrain.

What I'm still fuzzy on is what geometry would work best for me for 100+mi rides; and I don't know where I should be for MTB (fireroad/light-XC) or cross - still have more experimenting to do there.

Which means I have a bit more work to do before I have that custom built. Maybe I'll rent something for a weekend..

I also learned a lot about groups. Namely, not a big fan of SRAM even though it worked pretty flawlessly for me - just never liked the feel. I like the shifting of Campy 10 the best, but the hoods don't fit my giant hands that well. I probably like Campy 11 SR/Record the best, but ultimately had an easier time piecing matching stuff together with newer DA/Ult bits - and it just works. Once I settle on the 2-3 frames I'm keeping long term though, I could see them getting Campy. Seems like that may be the winter project.

And I love Deda stuff - M35 bars are my jam - with 3T Ergonova and Thomson bars a close second.

Still working on my optimal saddle - could be the Toupe/Power, but I'm not 100% sold and may need to try some more SMPs.

Pedals - Dura Ace, with Time in second place.

And wheels/tires - have enjoyed the HED C2/Belgium+ variants with Veloflex and latex, the tubular adventure is just starting.

The big kicker - I think I'm finally accepting a 36T may be the best for me

Best part of it all? Finding this place. You all are great. I've learned a ton and really enjoy the camaraderie here...
Old 08-22-2017, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post

At this point though, I do know that in a traditional road setup (STA/HTA 73ish) I need a 58-58.5TT and 110-120mm stem off a 15-20mm setback post and with 8-10cm drop. That's my comfortable road position for 20-75mi rides over mixed terrain.

What I'm still fuzzy on is what geometry would work best for me for 100+mi rides; and I don't know where I should be for MTB (fireroad/light-XC) or cross - still have more experimenting to do there.
What works for 10 miles should work for 100 miles. Get that sorted then worry about fitness and bibs for those long road races or 6 hour rides.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
I think I only went through about a bakers dozen in the past year. Thanks for making my excessive and impulsive bike buying look a bit tame, but it is a fun and great hobby compared to lots of other things out there. Up until a few weeks ago I had an excessive amount of time and filled it with bike building, buying and riding. I've had the opportunity to own and ride many dream bikes and I am glad I did!
I encourage you to keep going, we're the same size. Heck, make this a contest between you and 39t.

Ps. I still ride the Kirk--still my only road bike for now. It has delta brakes on it now and I rode it off road on a dirt path with a bunch of dudes on rivendells over the weekend haha.
Old 08-23-2017, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
I encourage you to keep going, we're the same size. Heck, make this a contest between you and 39t.

Ps. I still ride the Kirk--still my only road bike for now. It has delta brakes on it now and I rode it off road on a dirt path with a bunch of dudes on rivendells over the weekend haha.
The Kirk was a very nice bike and I'd love to see it in its current iteration. I currently have two Pegorettis, a Vamoots and the Praemio R that is in the classifieds. They are all top shelf rides, but with my new job I have less and less time to ride them. Of course I work right down the road from no22 and am up in the air about picking up a drifter or Ryuns day is done in the classifieds
Old 08-23-2017, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post
One word came to mind after reading post #1: RITALIN
One picture came to mind as I read post #1: Weisan pal's garage. Not sure which picture I like more, love 'em both!
Old 08-23-2017, 10:51 AM

Clean, you remind me of me but with bikes instead of Snare Drums. My collection got up to 10 when I took a step back and reassessed the situation. I certainly didn't need that many for the music I was playing. Of course I miss some of them now that I don't have them anymore. A few have really gone up in value based on what I see on auctions and facebook groups. I've managed to keep it at a chaotic minimum of 3 now.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
that pic is friggin' hilarious.

perspective: most of y'all realize that, if you're married, your wife has bought more clothes than you'll ever know about, brought 'em home, tried 'em on (at least 491 times), then finally changed her mind and returned 'em to store....

that process makes our 39t friend here look like he's conducting mere child's play with respect to his multiple bike nibbles.

hahaha. nailed it! only my wife doesn't disguise it at all and primarily shops online as well. result being we usually have five or more boxes a day on our doorstep. so when I get a new bike goodie every week or so within that pile, half the time she rips it open, thinking it's for her.

anyway, Clean39T, sounds like you're having fun with it. a little too much fun, but no worse for the wear because of it. learning a lot about your fit and bike likes/dislikes, at least. and hopefully you're enjoying riding all the more because of it.

me, I'm happy to be down to what I consider to be five "necessary" bikes: two cross bikes, one MTB, and winter and summer road bikes (i.e. fenders vs fast). I've bought and sold five frames in the past year though. and at one point I was trying to justify owning eight completes and having a few frames hanging. happy to have scaled back. for now...