Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-22-2017, 05:06 PM

Started with that Madone now I'm here...

*** this is the thread previously known as "What a year its been...confessions of an undisciplined bike buyer..." -- changed because that all sounded too negative when in actuality it's been fun times - so if you're new to the thread - don't worry, life is good, riding is happy, everything is kosh - enjoy the read ***

With an annual ride hitting this weekend, I'm remembering it was about a year ago (maybe in Sept/Oct) that I started going bike-buying crazy. Since then, I've had 30 bikes in some form pass through my garage, some for a very short time (unridden), some for a longer time, and with five currently sticking around.

It all started with a vague feeling that my 6.9SSL front end was a wet-noodle descending, not really liking the SRAM Force on it, and thinking it wasn't worth it to upgrade the parts vs. buying a different bike. From there things got weird...and I'm only just now settling into what I think is a good understanding of what fits and what I like/need/want.

It's been a long strange trip, and I like to think some of my madness has resulted in a number of folks here being happy they got good deals on some really nice bikes. Most of the time it's been a fun process. I love wrenching on bikes. But a couple of them have been a PITA due to inaccurate listings. And all that wrenching, boxing, searching, etc. has taken away a bit from my ride time.

Was it worth it? Most of them, yes. Some of them, no.

This next year will be markedly different though. I have some personal-life commitments drawing away some of the hobby time, and I'm not going to sacrifice training/riding for unnecessary wrenching. That may change depending on how some other things go though. Maybe I'll hit the lottery, quit my day-job, and trade in used bike parts full time

I still have quite a few accumulated parts to clear out as I get the couple that are staying built and fine-tuned. Prices will be trending to blow-out as we get into the fall and my time starts running short...

• New ’12 Trek Madone 6.9 SSL (60) – bought NOS, rode 1,500mi, didn’t like the lack of front end stiffness/tracking at time, but wish I’d kept this one
  • New ’14 Kestrel Legend SL (59) – bought online, sent back, didn’t think I liked the look and was going to keep the Madone
  • Used ’14 Cannondale SS EVO HM (58) – frame only, too small due to cut fork
  • New ’14 Cannondale SS EVO HM (58) – complete, bought online, returned, didn’t like the look
  • New ’15 Cannondale CAAD10 Black Inc (60) – bought on super-sale, didn’t like ride, found the Tarmac
  • New ’15 Niner Air 9 RDO (L) – returned, too small
  • Used ’15 Specialized Tarmac Pro (61) – liked it, kinda felt too big, wanted steel
  • Used ’07 Yamaguchi Team USA (59) – loved it, raced it, rode it, felt too big, wanted to rebuild w Campy, stripped it, rebuilt twice trying to get it to fit, admitted it doesn’t, passed on
  • Used ’12 Lynskey R460 (58) – complete, came as a bit of a basket-case, but a good price, tried it, had other projects in mind
  • Used ’04 Merckx MX Leader 25th Anniv (59) – complete, tried it, didn’t like clearance or bar/stem options
  • Used ‘90s Fat Chance (19) – frame only, looked too small, had other projects
  • Used ‘90s Serotta Colorado III (63) – semi-complete, built it, liked the ride, a bit big, didn’t like bar/stem options
  • Used Felt F1 (61) – frame only, wasn’t in described condition, went back to seller
  • Used ‘10s Zanconato Sportif (58.5) – frame only, liked ride, but not bar/stem options, and should have tried with a straight post given 72.5* STA, felt like I was way out the back and only realized that was due to a 25+mm setback after I sold it
  • Used ‘90s Holland Steel (64) – complete, way too big, not sure why I bought it
  • Used ’07 Holland Ti (59) – stripped to rebuild and got confused on measurements, should never have sold, biggest one I regret.. :L
  • Used ’05 Merlin XLM (22) – complete off PinkBike, parts were bunk, PayPal complaint process left a bad taste, sold the frame, donated the parts
  • Used '00s Serotta Legend/?? (57) – complete, bought for the wheels and fork, passed the frame on to a new owner
  • Used ’05 Merlin Extralight (62) – complete, rode great, too big
  • Used ‘00s Serotta Legend Ti (62) – complete, rode amazing, too big
  • Used ’08 Holland Ti (63) – complete, rode amazing, too big
  • New(ish) ’14 Kestrel Legend SL (59) – complete, great price from Amazon Whse, liked it a lot, liked the fit and geometry, wasn’t sure about frame clearance/style or carbon in general, wanted Ti/Steel in same proportions
  • Used ’11 Moots Rigormootis (20) – complete, package deal, got chance to get 29’er instead, sold frameset
  • Used ’11 Moots Vamoots CR (60) [current] – complete, stripped older DA, rebuilt w DA9100, rides great, fits great
  • Used ’03 Litespeed Ultimate (58) – complete, bought locally, guy needed to sell it and I passed on the deal to the forum folks knowing it was too small for me (most likely – could have made it work)
  • Used ’15 Moots Vamoots (52) – frameset, wife thought it was “too nice”, passed it on to forum member who wanted it initially
  • Used ’93 Keith Anderson (58) [current] – complete, responded to PSA on eBay listing, probably shouldn’t have, donating most of the parts, unsure I’ll keep it even though it has good clearance, but may hold onto it as a rain bike until the custom rando gets built
  • Used ’14 Moots MootoX RSL (20) [current] – frameset, discussed over a month or two with seller, decided to try it, unsure I need it vs. a ‘cross bike, going to build and ride while its up for sale
  • Used ’06 Merlin Works 6/4Ti (59) [current] – complete, bought locally, likely keeping as training bike until next race season
  • Used ’15 Pegoretti Marcelo (58) [inbound] – frame only, responded to PSA on eBay listing, hoping for a good fit and good ride characteristics, may push the Moots CR or the Merlin out the door depending on garage space
  • New Custom [maybe] - Thinking about a custom neo-rando road bike…like for the Race Across Oregon…bad roads, but still roads, all day/night riding…deposit in the Fall, delivery in the Winter.

Last edited by Clean39T; 05-25-2018 at 04:18 PM.
Old 08-22-2017, 05:12 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
With an annual ride hitting this weekend, I'm remembering it was about a year ago (maybe in Sept/Oct) that I started going bike-buying crazy. Since then, I've had 30 bikes in some form pass through my garage, some for a very short time (unridden), some for a longer time, and with five currently sticking around.

It all started with a vague feeling that my 6.9SSL front end was a wet-noodle descending, not really liking the SRAM Force on it, and thinking it wasn't worth it to upgrade the parts vs. buying a different bike. From there things got weird...and I'm only just now settling into what I think is a good understanding of what fits and what I like/need/want.

It's been a long strange trip, and I like to think some of my madness has resulted in a number of folks here being happy they got good deals on some really nice bikes. Most of the time it's been a fun process. I love wrenching on bikes. But a couple of them have been a PITA due to inaccurate listings. And all that wrenching, boxing, searching, etc. has taken away a bit from my ride time.

Was it worth it? Most of them, yes. Some of them, no.

This next year will be markedly different though. I have some personal-life commitments drawing away some of the hobby time, and I'm not going to sacrifice training/riding for unnecessary wrenching. That may change depending on how some other things go though. Maybe I'll hit the lottery, quit my day-job, and trade in used bike parts full time

I still have quite a few accumulated parts to clear out as I get the couple that are staying built and fine-tuned. Prices will be trending to blow-out as we get into the fall and my time starts running short...

• New ’12 Trek Madone 6.9 SSL (60) – bought NOS, rode 1,500mi, didn’t like the lack of front end stiffness/tracking at time, but wish I’d kept this one
  • New ’14 Kestrel Legend SL (59) – bought online, sent back, didn’t think I liked the look and was going to keep the Madone
  • Used ’14 Cannondale SS EVO HM (58) – frame only, too small due to cut fork
  • New ’14 Cannondale SS EVO HM (58) – complete, bought online, returned, didn’t like the look
  • New ’15 Cannondale CAAD10 Black Inc (60) – bought on super-sale, didn’t like ride, found the Tarmac
  • New ’15 Niner Air 9 RDO (L) – returned, too small
  • Used ’15 Specialized Tarmac Pro (61) – liked it, kinda felt too big, wanted steel
  • Used ’07 Yamaguchi Team USA (59) – loved it, raced it, rode it, felt too big, wanted to rebuild w Campy, stripped it, rebuilt twice trying to get it to fit, admitted it doesn’t, passed on
  • Used ’12 Lynskey R460 (58) – complete, came as a bit of a basket-case, but a good price, tried it, had other projects in mind
  • Used ’04 Merckx MX Leader 25th Anniv (59) – complete, tried it, didn’t like clearance or bar/stem options
  • Used ‘90s Fat Chance (19) – frame only, looked too small, had other projects
  • Used ‘90s Serotta Colorado III (63) – semi-complete, built it, liked the ride, a bit big, didn’t like bar/stem options
  • Used Felt F1 (61) – frame only, wasn’t in described condition, went back to seller
  • Used ‘10s Zanconato Sportif (58.5) – frame only, liked ride, but not bar/stem options, and should have tried with a straight post given 72.5* STA, felt like I was way out the back and only realized that was due to a 25+mm setback after I sold it
  • Used ‘90s Holland Steel (64) – complete, way too big, not sure why I bought it
  • Used ’07 Holland Ti (59) – stripped to rebuild and got confused on measurements, should never have sold, biggest one I regret.. :L
  • Used ’05 Merlin XLM (22) – complete off PinkBike, parts were bunk, PayPal complaint process left a bad taste, sold the frame, donated the parts
  • Used '00s Serotta Legend/?? (57) – complete, bought for the wheels and fork, passed the frame on to a new owner
  • Used ’05 Merlin Extralight (62) – complete, rode great, too big
  • Used ‘00s Serotta Legend Ti (62) – complete, rode amazing, too big
  • Used ’08 Holland Ti (63) – complete, rode amazing, too big
  • New(ish) ’14 Kestrel Legend SL (59) – complete, great price from Amazon Whse, liked it a lot, liked the fit and geometry, wasn’t sure about frame clearance/style or carbon in general, wanted Ti/Steel in same proportions
  • Used ’11 Moots Rigormootis (20) – complete, package deal, got chance to get 29’er instead, sold frameset
  • Used ’11 Moots Vamoots CR (60) [current] – complete, stripped older DA, rebuilt w DA9100, rides great, fits great
  • Used ’03 Litespeed Ultimate (58) – complete, bought locally, guy needed to sell it and I passed on the deal to the forum folks knowing it was too small for me (most likely – could have made it work)
  • Used ’15 Moots Vamoots (52) – frameset, wife thought it was “too nice”, passed it on to forum member who wanted it initially
  • Used ’93 Keith Anderson (58) [current] – complete, responded to PSA on eBay listing, probably shouldn’t have, donating most of the parts, unsure I’ll keep it even though it has good clearance, but may hold onto it as a rain bike until the custom rando gets built
  • Used ’14 Moots MootoX RSL (20) [current] – frameset, discussed over a month or two with seller, decided to try it, unsure I need it vs. a ‘cross bike, going to build and ride while its up for sale
  • Used ’06 Merlin Works 6/4Ti (59) [current] – complete, bought locally, likely keeping as training bike until next race season
  • Used ’15 Pegoretti Marcelo (58) [inbound] – frame only, responded to PSA on eBay listing, hoping for a good fit and good ride characteristics, may push the Moots CR or the Merlin out the door depending on garage space
  • New Custom [maybe] - Thinking about a custom neo-rando road bike…like for the Race Across Oregon…bad roads, but still roads, all day/night riding…deposit in the Fall, delivery in the Winter.
Yikes....
Old 08-22-2017, 05:14 PM

Wow! This is either the ultimate warning or the ultimate cautionary tale.

I saw the Yamaguchi sold--such a fine frame.

All any of us can hope is to spend as much time riding the bike as we spend thinking about the bikes.
Old 08-22-2017, 05:16 PM

at least you're not buying crack.

Old 08-22-2017, 05:17 PM

You must be single.
Old 08-22-2017, 05:20 PM
aka RAEKWON

How much money did you loose through buying and selling these many bikes? Sounds fun though, got to try a lot of stuff but the way the market it is, seems like can be a pain to sell stuff (like the guchi that was up for ages and that is probably the coolest bike on that whole list)
Old 08-22-2017, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdw View Post
You must be single.
Surprisingly, no. But I don't have kids. And have a lot of time on my hands... My wife knows I like working on bikes. Plus its not as if all of these were bought full retail and sold for pennies on the dollar. Most have been bought at a good price and sold at a good price. I'm out time and packing material, but not that much money. That said, I probably could have bought a new custom ti frameset fully built and been done with it, and maybe not be in a much different place as far as funds sunk into it - but there's a high likelihood I would have gotten something that was not the right fit given my feeling for that has changed (or come full circle) over the year. So there's that.
Old 08-22-2017, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
How much money did you loose through buying and selling these many bikes? Sounds fun though, got to try a lot of stuff but the way the market it is, seems like can be a pain to sell stuff (like the guchi that was up for ages and that is probably the coolest bike on that whole list)
Trying to estimate that would give me a serious headache.

I ate a little on the Merlin XLM and the Holland Steel - though I also made some good donations to a 501(c)3 off them both (and off a number of the others too).

And some were just returns.

The rest were relatively breakeven - some I probably was up a little, others down a little.

I do have more money tied up in spares at the moment than I'd like to, but I'm working on that. And heck, if I'd put this stash in the market for a year, it's not like I'd be up that much anyway...
Old 08-22-2017, 05:30 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Trying to estimate that would give me a serious headache.

I ate a little on the Merlin XLM and the Holland Steel - though I also made some good donations to a 501(c)3 off them both (and off a number of the others too).

And some were just returns.

The rest were relatively breakeven - some I probably was up a little, others down a little.

I do have more money tied up in spares at the moment than I'd like to, but I'm working on that. And heck, if I'd put this stash in the market for a year, it's not like I'd be up that much anyway...
hey, its cool that you got to try so many bikes

not true on the market though, whatever I put up this year I am up 20% ;0

but it was not fun at all, just put money and wait. BORING
Old 08-22-2017, 05:33 PM

Used bikes

I would be interested in this too-

Hopefully the learning in terms of fit, likes, dislikes, wrenching skills, packing skills, buying and selling skills was worth the haircut on 30 bikes.

Quote:
Old 08-22-2017, 05:35 PM

Wow, you make me and Hilltopper look like amateurs. what a fun year!
Old 08-22-2017, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exapkib View Post
Wow! This is either the ultimate warning or the ultimate cautionary tale.

I saw the Yamaguchi sold--such a fine frame.

All any of us can hope is to spend as much time riding the bike as we spend thinking about the bikes.
It was cathartic pulling the whole list together, that's for sure.

I'm a bit gutted still about letting the first Holland Ti go, but I know Yarg is loving it, so that helps. Same with the Zanc Sportif that likewise went to a great home, helping cool the regret. And I know the Yamaguchi is headed to one now too. Likewise the Legend Ti and other Holland Ti, the XLM and Rigormootis, the Serotta CO-III, Holland Ti, and even the MXL found a collector through eBay who may be on here now.
Old 08-22-2017, 05:37 PM
Boeuf Chane

Hmmm, maybe being hooked on drugs isn't that bad after all...

Old 08-22-2017, 05:39 PM

Quote:
hey, its cool that you got to try so many bikes

not true on the market though, whatever I put up this year I am up 20% ;0

but it was not fun at all, just put money and wait. BORING
My investing skills are teh sucks. Something I should probably get better at. But I kind of came of age in my career through the '07-09 crisis and am generally bearish this entire bubble economy, so I have a hard time buying and holding stocks. Also doesn't help that I watched my Dad lose his entire retirement when Enron went belly-up. At least my house has appreciated - on paper

Last edited by Clean39T; 08-22-2017 at 05:43 PM.
Old 08-22-2017, 05:41 PM
なんでやねん

That's one long and complex fit session