Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-27-2017, 04:40 AM

Anti-Lock Disc Brakes For Bicycles

It shouldn't be too long before a high-end manufacturer makes these. With electronic shifting in place the battery needed to power these is already there.

It's the next logical progression in bicycle technology. I'm wondering how soon Shimano, SRAM, and Campagnolo will take to get these onto mass-produced bikes. Hopefully small manufacturers will see the market too.

Think about it....if you have someone you love, and they are buying a car....would you tell them..."you don't need disc brakes". .... Didn't think so.

I'm thinking of the times I crashed in the rain due to wheel lock up, or the times going down long hills when someone pulled out in front of me.

These will take practice to use, but if you can avoid a traumatic potential life-ending injury with some updated technology, why not!

Cheers
Old 01-27-2017, 05:44 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19wisconsin64 View Post
It shouldn't be too long before a high-end manufacturer makes these. With electronic shifting in place the battery needed to power these is already there.

It's the next logical progression in bicycle technology. I'm wondering how soon Shimano, SRAM, and Campagnolo will take to get these onto mass-produced bikes. Hopefully small manufacturers will see the market too.

Think about it....if you have someone you love, and they are buying a car....would you tell them..."you don't need disc brakes". .... Didn't think so.

I'm thinking of the times I crashed in the rain due to wheel lock up, or the times going down long hills when someone pulled out in front of me.

These will take practice to use, but if you can avoid a traumatic potential life-ending injury with some updated technology, why not!

Cheers
Would also need a computer to sense when the tires were skidding, then feedback to calipers. Sounds heavy, complicated and expensive, IMHO.

Car analogy not quite. 15 mph on a 200 pound bike/rider package vs 4000 pounds at 75 MPH.

Maybe someday on e-bikes..doubt it will be on your 'enthusiast' bike anytime soon.
Old 01-27-2017, 06:27 AM
ergottWheels

According to this, ABS adds less than 1kg weight. Problem is, that weight is considering that the motorcycle already has a battery/motor to generate power.

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocia...motorcycle-abs

I won't say never, but I will say not anytime soon.

It would be harder to convince people they "need" it than it would be to develop the tech.
Old 01-27-2017, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergott View Post

It would be harder to convince people they "need" it than it would be to develop the tech.
No problem...just bribe...or rather pay a handful of high visibility pros under sponsorship to declare them the greatest thing ever and the sheep...or rather consumers will fall right into line. Step number two, petition the UCI to mandate their use for the "safety" of the riders....

Anti lock brakes for bicycles is an idea so dumb that their widespread institution in a few years is almost guaranteed.
Old 01-27-2017, 06:48 AM
ergottWheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chaba View Post
Anti lock brakes for bicycles is an idea so dumb that their widespread institution in a few years is almost guaranteed.
But it will improve your cornering abilities?
With all that free space in aero frames you wouldn't even know it's there?

Old 01-27-2017, 07:15 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by el chaba View Post
no problem...just bribe...or rather pay a handful of high visibility pros under sponsorship to declare them the greatest thing ever and the sheep...or rather consumers will fall right into line. Step number two, petition the uci to mandate their use for the "safety" of the riders....

anti lock brakes for bicycles is an idea so dumb that their widespread institution in a few years is almost guaranteed.
potd
Old 01-27-2017, 08:06 AM

The technology already exists...

Just needs to be modified for disc
Old 01-27-2017, 08:07 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsinill View Post

Just needs to be modified for disc
Already is disc..622mm rotor, rubber compound pads. Yup, the original anti lock brakes.

Have 'em on my Merckx.
Old 01-27-2017, 08:16 AM

I had a motorcycle (honda) with optional ABS brakes. I didn't get the ABS on it. I did a bunch of brake service myself on that bike.

I would never have attempted to service the brakes myself if I had the ABS model based on the procedures and tools required according to the service manual.

From what I've read ABS systems have to get pressurized by a pump, normal hydraulic brakes do not. Lots of complexity.

I think if they built it for bikes even bike shops might balk at what was required to service it.

You'd get into all kinds of system integration issues too.. you might be required to run a particular set of calipers/rotors/wheels to keep it working?
Old 01-27-2017, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Have 'em on my Merckx.
Had them on my Casati, but not for long.
Old 01-27-2017, 08:30 AM

I have just invented air-conditioning for 2017 bicycles. Cycling will never be the same again. Working on a sun-roof moon-roof attachment too. Pm me for details

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-30-2017, 08:58 PM

Dura Ace Anti Lock Braking Systems Due Out 2018

According to several inside industry sources, Shimano's top of the line groupset will feature and updated integrated system. Braking, shifting, and computerized data will be combined using one larger more powerful, yet light weight battery.

Anti-Lock Brakes, integrated optional front and rear lights, electronic shifting, and main computer storing power output ranges and optional GPS systems.

The groupset price is estimated at $5,999 USD, and is expected to debut at .....

...... o. hey. just thought if anyone can make up some fake news on a wing and a prayer and that it might just become true than why not?

Honestly, I hope we see this down the line in the future. I'm not that old, but when I do get old, I'm going to need this technology!
Old 01-30-2017, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Already is disc..622mm rotor, rubber compound pads. Yup, the original anti lock brakes.

Have 'em on my Merckx.
These posts made my day ! Thank you.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:28 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Automatic transmission would be super-easy.

Power steering would be the final step to go full-on cage mode.
Old 01-31-2017, 03:33 AM

Here's someone working on ABS for discs. There's some info here if you happen to have access to IEEE: http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/7346458/
Unlike a simple ABS which simply pulses the brakes, he uses a model based approach to prevent the rear wheel from lifting off or the front wheel from locking.

For power steering, this guy is working on what he calls "steer assist", which is kinda similar in the sense that the steering is powered:
http://bicycle.tudelft.nl/schwab/Bicycle/