Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-18-2014, 03:09 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
Just divide gas mileage by per gallon cost and you will get miles per gallon. Its easier to relate for me! Diesel price typically lowers in the winter. Wisconsin diesel =4.00 unleaded = 2.8

Example -diesel in Boulder = 3.60 per gallon, 40 mpg/$3.60 = 11.1 miles per gallon
unleaded in Boulder = 2.89 per gallon, 33 mpg/$2.89=11.37 miles per gallon.
Cept I pay $3.49 a gallon and I doubt a gas JSW would get 33 in my to Westminster and back 4 days a week....at 65mph plus, then around Boulder. 55 mph on 36, bah!!!

I didn't get the TDI to save $, I got it cuz I love how it works, accelerates plus at 63, want it to be my last car. 20 years, 10,000 miles per year, easy.

Altho on a road trip to WI, almost 50 mpg.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
The Golf R wagon is coming for those who want a touch more power...

http://jalopnik.com/the-hot-volkswag...ing-1660045142
Or not. Quoting Road & Track:

So, here's a package that all but panders to the enthusiast audience: the long-expected VW Golf R Variant (that's foreign-market speak for "wagon") debuts this week at the Los Angeles Auto Show, packing a 296-hp 2.0T, all-wheel drive, and the highly desirable long roof. Finally, we thought, VW has found a non-TDI Golf Wagon that Americans might actually be interested in!

And then...reality. In the associated press release, VW notes that European sales begin in Spring 2015. No mention of sales here in the US, whatsoever. So we asked VW of America what the deal is and were informed, "There are currently no plans to bring it here." If you want a silver lining, "currently" is a qualifier of sorts, so start your letter-writing campaigns now and demand the Golf R make the trup to US showrooms (and tell them to send the R400 too, while you're at it).
Old 11-18-2014, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palincss View Post
Or not. Quoting Road & Track:

So, here's a package that all but panders to the enthusiast audience: the long-expected VW Golf R Variant (that's foreign-market speak for "wagon") debuts this week at the Los Angeles Auto Show, packing a 296-hp 2.0T, all-wheel drive, and the highly desirable long roof. Finally, we thought, VW has found a non-TDI Golf Wagon that Americans might actually be interested in!

And then...reality. In the associated press release, VW notes that European sales begin in Spring 2015. No mention of sales here in the US, whatsoever. So we asked VW of America what the deal is and were informed, "There are currently no plans to bring it here." If you want a silver lining, "currently" is a qualifier of sorts, so start your letter-writing campaigns now and demand the Golf R make the trup to US showrooms (and tell them to send the R400 too, while you're at it).
The universe is cruel and uncaring.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Don't have the DSG, 6s manual. Plus Jetta gas is less than 30 mph, my mileage mixed city/hwy always 38-40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by buck-50 View Post
I've had my Gas JSW for 2 years now and my average gas mileage has always been above 30 if I'm doing more than just driving in town, and even then, 31 isn't hard. I've been averaging 32-36 mixed, 38-41 on the freeway...

Switching to ethanol free made a big difference. It seems like the Germans do not like ethanol.
So far, I have been getting 31mpg on strictly city driving and and the temp has been in the teens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Cept I pay $3.49 a gallon and I doubt a gas JSW would get 33 in my to Westminster and back 4 days a week....at 65mph plus, then around Boulder. 55 mph on 36, bah!!!

I didn't get the TDI to save $, I got it cuz I love how it works, accelerates plus at 63, want it to be my last car. 20 years, 10,000 miles per year, easy.

Altho on a road trip to WI, almost 50 mpg.
I got something like 36mpg on the long trip home from the dealer at 65-70mph. Sure the tdi would have been 50, but it's better than 33.

I'm with you on the way they drive though. The tdi is a blast. If I could have found one with a manual, I may have been tempted.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:13 PM
Two wheels good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
Nobody likes ethanol except farmers and their congressmen.
So true.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:30 PM

I've averaged 43mpg since the first tank which was on the house. Pure highway to Syracuse and back I've done 49.5. It's a small light vehicle and is susceptible to winds. Headwinds and tailwinds vary mpg by 5-6.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:59 PM

I usually have a rack on the roof, so that ought to lower my mpg on the high end around 3-4 miles
Old 11-18-2014, 10:01 PM

Which rack?

I'm planng on the low profile whispbars. I hear it doesn't hurt the milage as much.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:15 PM

I have round Yakima bars mounted using lowrider towers on the factory roof rack. On that I have a couple ancient fork mount trays and one wheel holder. I have it as far back on the roof rails as possible and the wind noise is not bad...no whistling...noticeable at times but not loud. With it pushed back on the car I get as much of a faring effect as possible from the windshield. I didn't want to use a faring with that nice huge glass roof.

All that said, I've heard the whisbars are the way to go...fully quiet and possibly (probably) equally aerodynamic. I already had all the rack equipment (and the same for a hitch/rack) and figured I would live with the inefficiency (though for solo trips I usually have my bike in the car and no rack)
Old 11-18-2014, 10:20 PM

I was set on whispbar cross bars and pitchfork trays before I bought the car. A google search looking for the combo brought me to paceline of all places.

Gavingould has the same setup. Hope he doesn't mind me reporting the pic. I think it looks great.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:31 PM

Re: OT: sportwagen

Here are a couple takes on carrying bikes on the JSW . Pardon the massive bike bra and child seat...Neither instance was ideal for aerodynamics!

Old 11-18-2014, 11:10 PM

Nice. Do you happen to know what tint film that is? I've got a guy that shot me a good price but uses 3m film that apparently may mess up the radio reception.

I'm also jealous of those wheels. I would like 17 or 18 in goals for summer use.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:14 PM

If you find Goals in stock, you better leap. I think they're discontinued in the US.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:43 PM

Correct. I have only found them in gray and I want silver.

The karthoum is currently on my list. I wish there were OEM 17in talladegas. Not sure I want to go 18. It probably wouldn't manner as talladegas are expensive. I would need a good deal on a used set.

Last edited by thirdgenbird; 11-18-2014 at 11:48 PM.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird View Post
Correct. I have only found them in gray and I want silver.

The karthoum is currently on my list. I wish there were OEM 17in talladegas. Not sure I want to go 18. It probably wouldn't manner as talladegas are expensive. I would need a good deal on a used set.
The gray goals look amazing on a red JSW. At least, they do on mine.