Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-21-2019, 06:23 PM

Question Lemond Poprad

https://easternshore.craigslist.org/...976712221.html

I am going to look at this bike tomorrow morning. It appears to cover pretty much all I have been looking for in a bike recently. Any comments, info, suggestions, criticisms are appreciated. Thanks
Old 09-21-2019, 08:07 PM

I remember seeing this on CL a year or so ago, and I discounted it on the basis that it was a repaint. You don't know how beat up and rusty it might have been prior.

http://rothrockcyrcle.wordpress.com/
Old 09-21-2019, 08:50 PM

steamer is on point here. Rust has been a fairly big issue with a lot of Poprads, which is a real shame as they’re very nice bikes.

If it was properly prepped and sandblasted prior to powdercoating then there should be no ongoing surface rust issues, though underlying issues may indeed have been there prior. Since it’s apparently been a year since the job was done, any issues with this should be pretty easy to spot.

The owner’s application of Frame Saver is great as long as it was a matter of prevention as opposed to internal masking. If it had an issue with rust in/on the chainstays, the Frame Saver may or may not have been applied in a way that would allow the spray to effectively coat any previous internal rust and prevent oxygen from contacting the problem area.

If this Poprad is what you’ve been looking for, then by all means go check it out. Make sure you ask pointed questions about the frame condition though and you need to be noncommittal until you’re satisfied with their answers. Maybe take it to a solid LBS to check it out on Monday just to confirm that it is in proper shape. Good luck, I really like Poprads and hope it’s what you expect it to be!
Old 09-21-2019, 10:09 PM
Everything is connected

For $500...go for it....the Poprad is of the best bikes that I’ve ever owned and I wouldn’t be surprised that the seller could list the frame only for that amount.
Old 09-22-2019, 03:16 AM

Poprad

Thanks for the info all posters. I have never looked into Lemonds before and would not have known about the rust issues. I will certainly ask about the frames condition before the redo on the powder coating. I am not committed to this bike, but it has a lot of pluses for me.
Old 09-22-2019, 07:52 AM
undermyfeat...

Mine is a 2001 that I bought a few years ago. When I broke it down and inspected it I found it clean as a whistle. It could go either way. Everyone takes care of their bike differently. In my view, if the seller spent the time and the money to get it looking that nice he probably took care of it. The price is great and they are wonderful riding bikes.
Old 09-22-2019, 07:59 AM

If the Ultegra 9 is a complete group, minus brake calipers, and the wheels are good this would seem like a good deal.

Please keep us posted.
Old 09-22-2019, 02:52 PM

Smile 2 wheels richer

I bought the Lemond Poprad today. Pretty much everything had been upgraded except for the front derailleur and the canti brakes. Powder coated last year and it looks like new. Seller is the original owner, avid bike guy, and it was well cared for. He answered all questions I had. IMO, it was a really good deal. Going to take it for my first real ride on it tomorrow morning. Will post pics when I can. WOO Hoo!
Old 09-22-2019, 02:54 PM
Administrator

new bike day is always a good day!

enjoy!
Old 09-22-2019, 02:59 PM

That’s awesome, congratulations!
Old 09-22-2019, 05:25 PM
undermyfeat...

Wonderful!
Enjoy!
Old 09-22-2019, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBike View Post
I bought the Lemond Poprad today. Pretty much everything had been upgraded except for the front derailleur and the canti brakes. Powder coated last year and it looks like new. Seller is the original owner, avid bike guy, and it was well cared for. He answered all questions I had. IMO, it was a really good deal. Going to take it for my first real ride on it tomorrow morning. Will post pics when I can. WOO Hoo!
Very cool and a sweet deal, enjoy!
Old 09-22-2019, 06:24 PM

Awesome! Always wished I had a Lemond, partly because I'm a sucker for panels. A finish often found on many of his bikes. Enjoy, looking forward to seeing it!
Old 09-22-2019, 06:44 PM

gotta post pics in this thread when done!

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...ghlight=poprad
Old 09-22-2019, 08:27 PM

What was the price? I almost purchased a Poprad a few years ago. Hope you enjoy the bike.