Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-15-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb01742 View Post
It's frightening and disturbing the loss of empathy and compassion in our society. Social media isn't the cause but I do think it's the main accelerant. We'll look back and see that social media has given us a little and cost us a great deal.
There are opposing viewpoints in this thread about empathy - one side feels that there is a lack of it, and the other feels like there is oversensitivity. The truth may be that there is a bit of both.

When you reference a frightening and disturbing loss of empathy and compassion, I am curious to see as to what time period you are comparing too? I look back in our history and there was no monopoly on these ideals in any generation that I can think of. It could be argued that racism was far worse in our parent's generation that it is now, for example. In fact, in the 19th century, people actually owned other people and considered them as property. So when referencing the loss of empathy in today's society, what period are you comparing it to?

I don't know that society's compassion, or lack thereof, has changed - I really can't tell. Social media allows for a more rapid diffusion of it, versus print media or some slower means of communication. Is it that people have changed, or that they simply have more outlets to vent what they would have felt in a more communication-restricted era?

Last edited by berserk87; 06-15-2019 at 11:37 AM.
Old 06-15-2019, 11:32 AM
needs adult supervision

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserk87 View Post
There are opposing viewpoints in this thread about empathy - one side feels that there is a lack of it, and the other feels like there is oversensitivity. The truth may be that there is a bit of both.
Very true. My lament wasn't so much about this thread in particular but more about how social media has made us, ironically, less social, humane, kind.
Old 06-15-2019, 06:12 PM
slower than you

Really? There were two world wars and a genocide of over six million people in the middle of the last century. They didn't have Facebook.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:00 PM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserk87 View Post
this is a discussion thread on an internet discussion forum. My personal feelings were that this was a horrible crash and I feel sorry about what Froome is going through. I wouldn't want it to happen to anyone.

However, I don't feel that a few insensitive remarks are that big of a deal. I sincerely doubt that anyone involved is out looking at internet forums. I hope not, for their sanity's sake.

But it's probably good that we have a difference of opinion here. The real cesspools occur where there is unanimity of opinion.

I have to say though, that the comments in the local paper have gotten a lot better now that they use facebook commenting. It used to be that I had to remind myself it was good that some of the sicko commenters were taking a break from whatever horrible things they usually did to read and comment on articles. Kept the sheep abductions down.
Old 06-15-2019, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
That's why its a good target for elbow and hammer fist strikes...just sayin'.

W.
Nice, William.

Just watched John Wick 3, and that is apparent in the film.

The following has nothing to do with CF, just an annecdotal observation:

Learning how to fall can help one avoid the dreaded collarbone injury. Martial arts teach this. I still have muscle/ passive memory from learning judo as a child. Have literally landed on my feet in a number of bike crashes. In others, tuck and roll has saved me from injury.
Old 06-15-2019, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
this is a discussion thread on an internet discussion forum. My personal feelings were that this was a horrible crash and I feel sorry about what Froome is going through. I wouldn't want it to happen to anyone.

However, I don't feel that a few insensitive remarks are that big of a deal. I sincerely doubt that anyone involved is out looking at internet forums. I hope not, for their sanity's sake.

But it's probably good that we have a difference of opinion here. The real cesspools occur where there is unanimity of opinion.

I have to say though, that the comments in the local paper have gotten a lot better now that they use facebook commenting. It used to be that I had to remind myself it was good that some of the sicko commenters were taking a break from whatever horrible things they usually did to read and comment on articles. Kept the sheep abductions down.
OMG, truer words have never been spoken! Look at The U.S. of A today. Need I say more?
Old 06-16-2019, 10:54 PM
50 bpm

Re: unanimity of opinion

I find it sanity-inducing to get all my news from The Onion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-16-2019, 11:22 PM
You still here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post
Re: unanimity of opinion

I find it sanity-inducing to get all my news from The Onion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Onion is the best real fake news!
Old 08-10-2019, 01:45 AM

Wow, I just came across this video tonight about Froome's crash and recovery.
After hearing how bad it was, I'm blown away that he's progressed as far as he has. I hope he does make it back at a high level next summer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnLAPyRf7ZI
Old 08-10-2019, 06:37 AM

Part of the recovery is the willingness to do it. That PT has to hurt as hell but IMO doest surprise me at all it is going fast, he is used to suffer, cycling is a suffering sport and anybody doing any sport where you suffer a lot will recover really quick. Is he going to get exactly the same than before? who knows because of the injuries, sure we will see him in the bike tho, personally doubt he will the same, come back to professional cycling? hell yeah...
Old 09-27-2019, 09:34 AM

Froome is coming back to racing in Japan in October. Unreal.

https://cyclingtips.com/2019/09/froo...ama-criterium/
Old 09-27-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Froome is coming back to racing in Japan in October. Unreal.

https://cyclingtips.com/2019/09/froo...ama-criterium/
Check for a motor in his rebuilt femur
Old 09-27-2019, 11:36 AM

Is this one of the races that has a predetermined podium?
Old 09-27-2019, 11:45 AM
Randomhead

I'm glad to hear that he's back.
Old 09-27-2019, 11:51 AM

Considering the extent of his injuries, this is impressive no matter the result.