Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-01-2019, 09:29 AM

tie a tube around the clamps so there's a softer rubber interface with better grip
Old 08-01-2019, 09:30 AM
Randomhead

that's not too surprising. Even a pro level Park shop stand at crushing levels of force might swivel. Unless you use it on a seat tube and actually do crush the tube, did that to the first frame I ever built.

People say that Aldi's wood chisels are pretty good, but those usually sell out quickly and they usually only have them a couple of times per year, at most. They were threatening to put in a store near here, but I see the building they were looking at is for rent, so maybe they decided not to do it. The closest store isn't too far, but it's over a big mountain and through a busy road construction site, so I haven't been there.
Old 08-01-2019, 10:24 AM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
People say that Aldi's wood chisels are pretty good, but those usually sell out quickly and they usually only have them a couple of times per year, at most.
Its what Aldi (and Lidl) do, they put -often seasonal- stuff in their shops on a "while stock lasts" basis. This can even be some surplus stuff from a manufacturer with a good name on rare occasion, most of the time it at least will be no worse than standard import stuff, often at very good prices. For home gamer purposes, this will often do the job just fine, especially if it is an item where one isn't likely to have the demand for spares or service in a year or so.

I guess a 7$ chisel set is fine even if it isn't top quality, as it will enable folks to try the technique *before* spending 100+ on a quality set, and no one stops you from getting a really good set later if you find you use them often.

Last edited by martl; 08-01-2019 at 10:27 AM.
Old 08-01-2019, 10:29 AM
Randomhead

It's not difficult to spend $100 on a single chisel. The aldis are reputed to hold an edge for a reasonable amount of time, so that's all you can ask for $7.
Old 08-01-2019, 10:59 AM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
It's not difficult to spend $100 on a single chisel. The aldis are reputed to hold an edge for a reasonable amount of time, so that's all you can ask for $7.
i can get a set of "Kirsch" for 70 too...