Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-25-2019, 05:22 PM

I’ve had what I think is the same problem on a HED Belgium rim, the third mechanic I asked thought it could be a loose spot weld joining the inner and outer parts of the rim, running a small amount of crazy glue inside the rim (through the valve hole and slowly rotating so makes it’s way around) took care of it.
Old 07-25-2019, 05:24 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavie View Post
I’ve had what I think is the same problem on a HED Belgium rim, the third mechanic I asked thought it could be a loose spot weld joining the inner and outer parts of the rim, running a small amount of crazy glue inside the rim (through the valve hole and slowly rotating so makes it’s way around) took care of it.
Wonder if it could be the ‘mavic Rim syndrome’??
Old 07-26-2019, 06:47 PM

I have the same exact wheels, about 2 yrs old on my Super six evo, been have the same pinging, grinding noise when climbing drivng me nuts, thought it was the PF30 BB all this time, so spent enuf $$ to have it serviced, replaced bearings etc, no good! Then I called HED and they told me it's not the crosssing spokes that need lubing, more likely check the spoke tension make sure they're even, and take the freehub apart, clean, lube and put back in...paying attention not to lose the washer and seals inside....
well it worked!! now quiet as can be.
I say -can't hurt to give that a try, there's a Youtube vid if you need help.

[QUOTE=572cv;2570678]I've a set of Hed Ardennes Plus wheels. Like them fine, but they have a persistent 'pinging' sound coming from the rear wheel. I have already changed ....
Old 07-27-2019, 07:06 AM

[QUOTE=coelacant;2571481]I have the same exact wheels, about 2 yrs old on my Super six evo, been have the same pinging, grinding noise when climbing drivng me nuts, thought it was the PF30 BB all this time, so spent enuf $$ to have it serviced, replaced bearings etc, no good! Then I called HED and they told me it's not the crosssing spokes that need lubing, more likely check the spoke tension make sure they're even, and take the freehub apart, clean, lube and put back in...paying attention not to lose the washer and seals inside....

well it worked!! now quiet as can be.

I say -can't hurt to give that a try, there's a Youtube vid if you need help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 572cv View Post
I've a set of Hed Ardennes Plus wheels. Like them fine, but they have a persistent 'pinging' sound coming from the rear wheel. I have already changed ....

Thanks for the shared insight. I can probably do the free hub work here, which seems like proper maintenance in any case.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-27-2019, 09:23 AM

Gotta say that I had the latest version of plus hubs, the matte black ones, and they absolutely had zero water sealing in the freehub. Every time you hit water they need a bath and regrease. I even called HED about it and they all but told me it was a known issue. Sold those. Won't get them again despite loving the Jet plus rims.
Old 07-27-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stien View Post
Gotta say that I had the latest version of plus hubs, the matte black ones, and they absolutely had zero water sealing in the freehub. Every time you hit water they need a bath and regrease. I even called HED about it and they all but told me it was a known issue. Sold those. Won't get them again despite loving the Jet plus rims.
Hmmmm. I've been debating getting a set of HED Black series wheels for riding in the rain (the Black series has a special sidewall treatment that supposedly improves wet weather rim braking). But if the hubs can't stand up to wet weather, what's the point of the improved wet weather braking?
Old 07-27-2019, 10:00 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Hmmmm. I've been debating getting a set of HED Black series wheels for riding in the rain (the Black series has a special sidewall treatment that supposedly improves wet weather rim braking). But if the hubs can't stand up to wet weather, what's the point of the improved wet weather braking?
Buy the rims, get better hubs, build or have a decent wheelbuilder, build...
Old 07-27-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Buy the rims, get better hubs, build or have a decent wheelbuilder, build...
I would have done just that, but sadly the Black series rims are available in complete wheels only. The Black series wheels are already several hundred dollars more than the comparable standard series wheels, so when you add in having to buy new hubs (and probably spokes), the math just doesn't work out.
Old 07-27-2019, 10:19 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
I would have done just that, but sadly the Black series rims are available in complete wheels only. The Black series wheels are already several hundred dollars more than the comparable standard series wheels, so when you add in having to buy new hubs (and probably spokes), the math just doesn't work out.
Find some ceramic coated rims, like the old Mavics..

Or just the HA Archetypes..nice rims.
Old 07-27-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
There's a set in the classifieds for $900. I9 hubs.

FWIW these were 6 plus wheels, non black braking surface. Perhaps they have changed things?

The other downside to Jets is that they fill up with water in the rain so you really should take the tire off and let them drain overnight or longer after extended rides in the rain.
Old 07-27-2019, 01:22 PM

i doubt this is it but it happened to me

had a flat, then had a bad tube when i tried to fix the flat, then someone lent me one of their tubes. their tube did not have threads on the valve = all smooth so no locknut. the tube installed and inflated fine. good friends are good.

but sometime a few rides later someone said they could hear a clicking noise coming from my bike. i need hearing aids and can't hear little clicks worth a crap. but i did hear it on a really quiet section of road. turns out the valve was moving slightly and clicking against the outside circumference of the valve hole.
Old 07-27-2019, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Find some ceramic coated rims, like the old Mavics..

Or just the HA Archetypes..nice rims.
This is starting to get a bit but ...

Ceramic coated rims have been around a while, and apparantly they work well in we conditions, but they've developed a reputation that the coating can chip off, especially if the rim gets dinged. The reason I was interested in the HED Black seriies is that it doesn't use a coating, its a special surface embedded (machined?) into the brake track, so it can't chip off.

As far as Hard Anodized rims, that would be going in the opposite direction, as HA rims typically are worse in the wet than bare aluminum rims. In fact HA makes rims worse in just about every practical way. Here's some comments on hard anodized rims from Jobst Brandt and Keith Bontrager:

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/anodized-rims.html
http://www.compint.com/stinkingwease...s/rim_rant.htm

I had a few HA rims years ago, and they braked noticeably worse in the wet, and braking improved once the HA layer had worn away and the pads contacted bare aluminum.
Old 07-27-2019, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stien View Post
There's a set in the classifieds for $900. I9 hubs.

FWIW these were 6 plus wheels, non black braking surface. Perhaps they have changed things?

The other downside to Jets is that they fill up with water in the rain so you really should take the tire off and let them drain overnight or longer after extended rides in the rain.
Thanks for the heads up, but apparently they were just sold.