Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-26-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc031699 View Post
Adding this to the archive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you for this! The only instructions from Specialized that I could find online just say to "Remove the expander plug." So totally unhelpful.
Old 07-26-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiezo View Post
I have been using these on my road bikes and really like them. I can take it in and out without any damage to the carbon steer tube. Not sure how it would work on a gravel ride.
https://fairwheelbikes.com/tune-gum-gum-expander-plug/
If you want a never-used tune Gum Gum one (I may even have two of them) as a a spare, etc., for much less than retail just PM me. Some people love them, but I have no need for mine.
Old 07-26-2019, 04:22 PM

What problems do people have with Enve expanders? I've never had an issue.
Old 07-26-2019, 04:40 PM

My ENVE plug works great. As I recall......when I installed it some years ago.....adjusted it so I had to tap it in with a rubber hammer, snugged it up some more.....and after several different stems....never touched it again.
Old 07-26-2019, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRietz View Post
What problems do people have with Enve expanders? I've never had an issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
My ENVE plug works great. As I recall......when I installed it some years ago.....adjusted it so I had to tap it in with a rubber hammer, snugged it up some more.....and after several different stems....never touched it again.
A lot of people do like them, and they seem well made, but I never had that much luck feeling secure with mine.

Basically though it comes to that I really prefer that the length equal or exceed the stem stack (the ENVE effective insertion length is only ~28mm long).

But, again, they are designed/spec'd by people who make great forks, so I'm sure they are good.

EDIT: this Raoul Luescher video is good: Quicktips - Fork steerer compression plugs

Last edited by Dino Suegiù; 07-26-2019 at 04:52 PM.
Old 07-26-2019, 07:36 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by YesNdeed View Post
I had to look into expander plugs and their various designs a few years ago. After building up a F/F/HS I bought from a friend, the HS just wouldn't stay tight. I'm super happy I didn't die during that time. Unlike Angry's problem, the expander plug was in fact slipping. I think I replaced it with an FSA, but don't really remember. The rough surface area that came in contact with the inside of the steerer tube was way too smooth, and a new one fixed the problem for about $15. It was a nice relief to take the mystery out of what's going on in there.
I've got a pair of CX bikes that the plug slips up in the steerer and makes the headset loose.

I'm hoping the SBC plugs will help that situation

M
Old 07-26-2019, 07:53 PM

carbon steerer expander plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
I've got a pair of CX bikes that the plug slips up in the steerer and makes the headset loose.

I'm hoping the SBC plugs will help that situation

M

I’m not sure I understand how the compression plug loosening affects a properly adjusted headset held in compression by a properly torqued stem clamp? There are some who remove the top cap entirely after adjusting the headset and torquing down the stem clamp bolts.

Angry’s problem was a different one, I gather; the compression plug slipping was preventing him from adjusting the headset properly or causing the top cap to rattle around on rough roads once the headset was properly adjusted and secured by the stem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by jc031699; 07-26-2019 at 08:00 PM.