Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-24-2019, 09:30 PM

Twist grip shifter cable, how in the hell....

Do i replace the cable in his POS twist shifter???

Is the one for this bike the only infor is that says LX twist shifter...

Took it off the handlebar... but cant see a way to open it... anybody had to deal with POS like this before??? Fixing my friends grandchild bike. Have the wheels and the brakes fixed but the shifter cable needs to be replaced... any ideas???

Anybody had to deal with this thing in specific before?? no wonder is like 300 bucks eh? :/

https://www.schwinnbikes.com/en/int/...iral-s4043wme#
Old 07-24-2019, 09:38 PM

Old 07-24-2019, 09:54 PM

GOT IT!!!!...twist where the thing has all the tension and more and then yank it!
Old 07-25-2019, 07:33 AM
coffee consumer

been there, done that....best option is to not replace the cable, but the entire shifter as once they get old and gummed up, no new cable is going to help it that much. they're cheap on eBay. As much as they're POS, their easy for young minds to understand. Much more difficult to teach them when to shift as once they find a gear they like, they pretty much stick with it.
Old 07-25-2019, 09:06 AM

Schwinn has, in recent years, distinguished themselves among big-box bike makers in their use of ONLY name-brand shifters and derailers. Also with forged-alloy fork crowns on their suspension forks, AND with decent-quality, hardened bottom bracket bearings.

Sadly, it appears that they don't consider this model worthy of a decent twist shifter. It appears to be the same generic unit fitted to the cheapest Mongoose (also a Pacific brand) bikes of ill repute.

So I concur with others here, replace that shifter with a proper SRAM or Shimano part.

I have disassembled this model of shifter and it appears to use internals of lowest imaginable quality, with resultant poor shifting.
Old 07-25-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
GOT IT!!!!...twist where the thing has all the tension and more and then yank it!
That's pretty much it. I just re-cabled a set of low$ twist shifter for one of my sons college friends. Shifter was in good shape but cable/housing corroded. Just twist it and pull, eventually you will hit the place in the rotation where it comes apart. Re-assembly is a little tricky but not impossible.
If the shifters would have been beat up I'd have replaced them. As it was, I has plenty of cables & housing in the garage,
Old 07-25-2019, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephr View Post
... as once they get old and gummed up, no new cable is going to help it that much...
SRAM makes a special, white grease for their shifters. I used to be called JonniSnot. Comes in a syringe. It's special because it doesn't react with the plastic, making friction worse.

Depending on the shifter model-on the "grip side" of the shifter, near the number "7" in the photo, is sometimes a triangular plate held on with a screw. Removing the screw and the plate is necessary to pull the rotating portion of the shifter away from the shifter body.