Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-24-2019, 02:33 PM

I've been on both sides of this having just sold 2 bikes and a bunch of exercise equipment.

I find craigslist is the worst. Low ballers and no shows are common.

Facebook marketplace is better. I feel that people are more respectful when you can see who it is.

And somewhere like here is different. I'm not a regular member and feel a little bit our of my league. I figure everyone knows a lot more than me, so I proceed cautiously. Once in w while I'll see something that's been a round for a while and may give an offer or say here's my budget and let the person ignore or hit it or come back w something else. Here, people have a lot vested in their creation.

When I'm selling and get low balls, I say, "no thanks." If I sell and the person pays asking price, I usually throw in a little something extra or take a little off.
Old 07-24-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdeth1313 View Post
I think my favorite one ever came from a craigslist ad I had posted several years ago:

"This bike would be a perfect for me but the price is out of my range. Are you willing to negotiate?"

My response was to ask how it was a negotiation if my only option was to lower the price and get nothing in return.

No response. That bike also sold for my asking price.
What an odd story. You were ultimately proven right (or proven lucky) because the bike sold for asking price, but negotiating a lower price to complete a sale is not receiving "nothing in return", it is receiving cash in return for something that no longer has significant value to you.
Old 07-24-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arik View Post
What an odd story. You were ultimately proven right (or proven lucky) because the bike sold for asking price, but negotiating a lower price to complete a sale is not receiving "nothing in return", it is receiving cash in return for something that no longer has significant value to you.
Maybe, but it wasn't luck that sold the bike. It was priced fairly and she needed to look for a bike she could afford. As far as no longer having significant value to me, no. The money from that bike was going to be put into another bike (and it was).
Old 07-24-2019, 03:28 PM

Pro tip to snag great deals on Craigslist— offer to pay MORE than asking for sensational deals you really want. Hardly anyone thinks to do that.

I was recently looking for a tri bike for my nephew and I happened to see a Cervelo P3 for $200 30 minutes after it was posted. It would have been a decent deal at $800. I figured it was too late and the guy already had an inbox full of emails, so I responded in the subject line “I’LL GIVE YOU $250.” It worked. Moved me to the front of the line, which the seller confirmed was quite long. I had time later to make sure it wasn’t stolen and check out the condition, but sometimes you’ve got to do something to get a foot in the door.

As a seller, the “would you take” emails are comical when you’ve got a lineup of full price interest. Umm, how bout no. I never take offense though. Takes me no time to ignore it.
Old 07-24-2019, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
I'm more annoyed by people on craigslist/facebook marketplace/whatever saying "interested!" or "is this still available?" followed by nothing else than I am by a lowball.
I had some guy on this very forum who was interested in something I was selling and never followed up after I wrote back a detailed response. I had to follow up once, which prompted more questions from him (on something tangential), and more detailed responses from me, and then radio silence.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Here in Madison we have shops that accept donations. I'd think that at a certain point, donating would be a lot less aggrevating than dealing with the ghosters and lowball offers.