Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-10-2019, 07:58 AM

Oakley Nanoclear Cleaner

Does anyone use it, or something in place of it?

I've been using my Prizm Road glasses for two years now, not knowing there's a special solution for them. Rain isn't much of a concern where I ride, but after cleaning them with a light mixture of warm water and dish soap, all it takes is a couple drops of sweat on a climb to run down the inside to obscure my view. I wonder if this stuff will help with that, and also make them easier to clean.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:17 AM
That guy..

ive just been using regular lens cleaner.
theres a special Oakley cleaner?? of course there is.

id be interested to try it.
but i also ride with a cycling cap. which keeps sweat from dribbling down my face and ultimately on and through the glasses.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mktng View Post
ive just been using regular lens cleaner.
theres a special Oakley cleaner?? of course there is.

id be interested to try it.
but i also ride with a cycling cap. which keeps sweat from dribbling down my face and ultimately on and through the glasses.
If it were $10 or so, I would just get it and try it...
https://www.oakley.com/en-us/product/WA4230001NC

I also use a cap, but not every time. These sweatbands work well too, but sometimes well, I just put on my helmet and go.
https://store.haloheadband.com/Halo-...dband-p/hp.htm
Old 06-10-2019, 12:11 PM

I've used it on and off for a few years. It's similar to a Rain-X kind of product. I've also used a number of different lens cleaners and the stuff I get from Sam's Club for cheap seems to work as well as anything.

I find that a good CLEAN lint free cloth is almost as important as the cleaner used.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:42 PM

if you're a sweater (like me).......I've had tremendous success with SweatHawg's cycling helmet liners.......

my .02
Old 06-10-2019, 02:39 PM

I've tried about every sweat stopping method on the market as mentioned above. The only one that works for me 100% is the Sweat Buster. It's just a very efficient pad, not a whole cover which I find contributes to a hot head.
No affiliation, it just works!
Old 06-10-2019, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplemind View Post
I've tried about every sweat stopping method on the market as mentioned above. The only one that works for me 100% is the Sweat Buster. It's just a very efficient pad, not a whole cover which I find contributes to a hot head.
It looks huge. Does it block the front vents?

My sweat nails the right side lens for me. Almost never the left.

A new helmet brand (giro to lazer) this year reduced it some but it’ll still drip down to the glasses if really dumping sweat.

I recall azriders rec awhile ago but forgot to order it...

On topic, I’ve had the spray used a few times at sunglasses stores, and they never performed better or stayed cleaner longer than some good old soap water for deep cleans and as mentioned a clean cloth.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
It looks huge. Does it block the front vents?
I have a Kask Protone, and yes it does block the front vent holes, however it still does the job.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplemind View Post
dude that thing looks SO BIG !?
Old 06-11-2019, 08:23 AM

Oh...blimey. I went ahead and grabbed a kit yesterday afternoon from the bay for <$25. The sweat issue is pretty easy to manage and I've collected some good, additional suggestions here. Aside from that I'll experiment with it and see if the lenses stay cleaner, and are easier to clean, even though it sounds like Likes pal didn't have much luck with that. I'll post my findings after a while.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:46 AM

Hopefully it helps! Let us know if you see an improvement thru repeat use.
Old 07-24-2019, 09:43 AM

Ok, gave the prizms one treatment back when I got the stuff, and purposely gave it the same sweat test previously mentioned. Vision still becomes obstructed, but the lenses are much easier to clear with a little drizzle of water bottle water water, and an on-the-fly wiping with my jersey. I'm going to give them more frequent treatments of the stuff and see where that gets me (when I find it, don't know where I put it). My pro roadie buddy says he uses Rain X and never thinks about what might be better. I find myself cleaning the lenses less, which is nice, but for the price, I would probably go the Rain X route next time.

Edit: I should also mention this not the spray cleaner Oakley makes. The Nanoclear uses a tip like a magic marker, and the coating beads up over 30 seconds, and is then wiped with the towelette provided.

I want to say that it enhanced the quality of the lense coatings when I first put them on following the treatment, but it's hard to gauge that accurately. All I know is I love my Oakleys, and I want them work for as long as possible.

Last edited by YesNdeed; 07-24-2019 at 10:11 AM.
Old 07-24-2019, 01:43 PM

I have a bottle at home. Not amazing, but good. It is good after hitting your lenses with Dawn to get that perfect clean. Sweat is not water and the lenses still get dirty. If it rains out, it's not like the car where water steam off without the wipers. If you get it, remember the cleaning cloth is in the bottom of the bottle.