Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-26-2019, 08:44 AM

Rolling coal is just another way for some men to compensate for their shortcomings. So don't take it personally.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:38 AM

Nothing wrong with large pickup trucks, or their drivers....unless they "coal roll", or drive aggressively around cyclists. The bad drivers are few and far between, but they are there. Right now, I'm in Missouri, so while there are 99.999% good people with trucks, a few bad ones make it scary to cycle. That's all I'm saying.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:45 AM
Cranky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
unless the truck is newer and tuned just right, generally speaking when you step on the go pedal quickly the air/fuel ratio goes rich and black smoke pours out.
Sorry, but not really. The Cummins/Duramax/PowerStroke trucks that do this are all modified with injectors and software.

Older, clapped out dump trucks, and such, may be a different story, but any 21st century truck belching soot is pretty much doing it on purpose.
Old 08-26-2019, 12:43 PM

Newer full-size trucks can get low-20s running regular gas and are fine purpose-built rigs. It's a lifted diesel monstrosities with illegal mods we are talking about here. There are plenty of clean'ish diesel trucks out there driven by reasonable people going about their business. They aren't the problem.
Old 08-26-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
one thing to consider is that "rolling coal" MAY not always be an intentional act.

unless the truck is newer and tuned just right, generally speaking when you step on the go pedal quickly the air/fuel ratio goes rich and black smoke pours out.

I can picture a plausible scenario where a truck may slow down to give a cyclist some space and wait for oncoming traffic to make a wide berth in order to pass, and then, after slowing down creating black smoke while trying to accelerate quickly and safely pass the cyclist as oncoming traffic allows.

of course many times it is intentional, but maybe not every time.
I had a Volvo 145 with worn rings that would do this.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 08-26-2019, 01:17 PM

I live in what feels like the coal rolling capital of the world. Nine times out of ten the sooting of a cyclist is intentional. I can usually hear the turbos spool as they are beginning to pass as they have to time the event to pull it off properly. As I understand it, they intentionally leave the additive out to get a good black smoke.

It is a fineable offense here, but I know of no-one getting fined for it.

Just smile and wave is my usual response.