Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-29-2019, 11:27 PM

Tandem and Tandem Rack Questions

I'm thinking about getting a tandem to ride with my kids before the grow up too much, they are 5'2" +/- and I'm 6'5". Other than whether they will enjoy it, what are considerations I should be thinking about? Leaning towards a road tandem and taking it on the Capital trail in Richmond... but probably not a deal breaker to have flat bars.
Ive just started looking at used prices... How well would a mid 90s Burley duet hold its value? There is one with a $1200 asking price not too far from me... the price seems a bit high for a bike of that age.
Old 07-30-2019, 12:01 AM

At 5'2" you won't need crank shorteners, a big plus. Any of the big mfgr"s will be a good bike for what you want. 1200 seems pretty high for that tandem, look around, Craigs, Ebay, https://www.rtrmag.com/classifieds.htm and https://tandemclub.org/classifieds/browse-ads/ are good paces to start.
Old 07-30-2019, 05:34 AM

Sent you a pm.
Old 07-30-2019, 07:01 AM

We raised our kids on 2 tandems, beginning at age 3.5, till they became bratty teens. It was real center point of our lives. Began with kiddie cranks, but grew out of that quickly and then used crank shorteners (with adjustable stem) for number of years. We had Belinky's which are now in hands of other paceliners.
Old 07-30-2019, 08:09 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbarb1 View Post
We raised our kids on 2 tandems, beginning at age 3.5, till they became bratty teens. It was real center point of our lives. Began with kiddie cranks, but grew out of that quickly and then used crank shorteners (with adjustable stem) for number of years. We had Belinky's which are now in hands of other paceliners.
POTM
Old 07-30-2019, 08:49 AM

Cool

If you're up for an approx 3 hour (one way) schlep from Richmond, you might consider a road trip to Mount Airy Bicycles west of Baltimore- they have a large selection of tandems including pre-owned for test riding. The trip might be more enticing if you realize that there are some beautiful rolling roads from the shop door so you could have a great ride even if the tandem shopping was a bust. Tandems should be test ridden before purchase IMO, the differences between makes and models and sizes are much more significant than just picking out a road bike that fits from CraigsList or whatever. FWIW, I've ridden on a late 90s Burley Duet and liked it very much- medium size fit well for 5'10" captain and 5'4" stoker. After the ride I ultimately bought a Samba which is essentially the same bike, only with the softride beam (wife's decision, she loved the beam at 110lbs, I think a heavier rider would "bounce" more on it and it's fugly, but like I said wife's decision...) We still have the tandem (in CA unfortunately otherwise I'd say come and try it out) but mostly ride a Co-Motion now (with a beam) with couplers that feels very similar, I need to replace the cables and brake shoes to get the Burley ready for sale- probably thinking to ask around $800 in the Bay Area market which is a higher price than I think I could get around VA/DC.

Edit: by the way, I saw a recent Bob Roll interview where he described tandems as "divorce machines". Bob Roll knows bikes but I think he don't know squat about relationships! Avoid use of the word "captain" and understand that the person in charge (at any age) is the person on the back seat. Always. Your "half bike" riding experience doesn't translate well to tandeming, it's a different vibe altogether. And when you figure out how to make it click, ride different tempo for different reasons, stop for ice cream, maybe walk some hills that you'd rather grind up on your own... tandem riding is a beeyouteefull ting!

Last edited by zennmotion; 07-30-2019 at 08:57 AM.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:06 AM

Tandems are great. We bought a used Burley about 15 years ago just so I could ride with the kids and the wife. They seem to hold their value pretty well. I paid $800 Cdn for ours and probably could sell it for more now but it ain't for sale.

Used tandem prices are all over the map mainly because they are rare and tough to ship. See if there is a local tandem club. There might be one for sale. I drove 4 hours one way to pick up ours.

6'5" captain and 5'2" stoker may be a bit of a tough fit. Our Burley is a medium and in worked fine for 5'11" captain and 4'6" to 5'6" stoker.
Old 07-30-2019, 11:00 AM

It does not respond to the OP's needs at all but if anybody is interested, I have a triplet for anybody who wants to take out two kids at a time. My daughters loved riding it with me until they, just as described by Steve, became bratty teens. I have owned tandems continuously since 1979 and it is truly a case of "love it or hate it." My daughters loved it until being seen in public with a parent became uncool. I suspect that now that they are at university and beyond, they would be ready to ride once again.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/attac...1&d=1512392747

If there is any interest, I would like what I believe to be a very inexpensive price of $1000 with pick-up at my home in the Philadelphia suburbs. (a few modifications have been made to the triplet since this photo was taken, but it is largely as shown and I can take updated photos if necessary)
Old 07-30-2019, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyglot View Post
It does not respond to the OP's needs at all but if anybody is interested, I have a triplet for anybody who wants to take out two kids at a time. My daughters loved riding it with me until they, just as described by Steve, became bratty teens. I have owned tandems continuously since 1979 and it is truly a case of "love it or hate it." My daughters loved it until being seen in public with a parent became uncool. I suspect that now that they are at university and beyond, they would be ready to ride once again.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/attac...1&d=1512392747

If there is any interest, I would like what I believe to be a very inexpensive price of $1000 with pick-up at my home in the Philadelphia suburbs. (a few modifications have been made to the triplet since this photo was taken, but it is largely as shown and I can take updated photos if necessary)

You guys are making me sad.
I’ve had a blast riding our triple for the last several years with our daughters .
Now ages 11 and 9.
Sigh.
I’ll enjoy it while it lasts.
Old 07-30-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY rider View Post
You guys are making me sad.
I’ve had a blast riding our triple for the last several years with our daughters .
Now ages 11 and 9.
Sigh.
I’ll enjoy it while it lasts.
I had no problems getting a Spanish teenage exchange student who lived with us for a year to ride the tandem. She rode a few 40 mile rides with the local club with me. The same with a Russian exchange student. He even rode with me in 20° F weather. So it is not age alone, but rather being embarrassed to be riding with dad, especially if you wear lycra...
Old 07-30-2019, 03:44 PM

I have ridden a tandem with each of my three boys. My 17 year old who is physically and intellectually disabled has ridden with me occasionally since age 4 (when he was just starting to walk with a walker) and then regularly beginning at age 8. We ride a Bike Friday family tandem that we bought second hand for $1000. The brakes are now pretty bad (front brake is a drum brake that probably can no longer get parts for), and it needs some othger work, or I'd try to interest you in the bike as we have a new Hase Pino with e-assist on order. My current tandem might also be too small for you though with a longer stem who knows.

Sites with second hand tandems:

https://tandemclub.org/classifieds/browse-ads/

http://www.tandemclassifieds.com/

There's also e-Bay.

Larry Black (Mt. Airy) does have quite a selection of used tandems. The website has a list of used bikes. I'd call to make an appointment before going.

I don't think you need the latest and greatest to ride with a kid. I have another tandem, a 1994 Trek, that I did a century on a couple years ago (after replacing the cantis with direct pull though because stopping is pretty important).

I can't say whether the tandem you are looking at is worth 1200, but what's your time worth and how long do you want to go without a tandem while you're looking for a deal?
Old 07-30-2019, 10:15 PM

Well after talking to the owner a bit I think I've made a deal on the Burley for a much better price, so now I gotta figure out how I'm going to transport it home this weekend with a car full of kids. It won't fit on the one up hitch rack, or the Thule side arm on the roof, possibly the Thule fork mount carrier with both wheels off and finagled a bit to secure the lower frame tube, or go full Sandford and sons and tie the bike to the roof rack. Probably making a second trip, unless I find a rack locally.

Who makes the better tandem roof carrier... looks like just Thule and Yakima making one. Seems rockymounts (I actually liked their design better) is out of making tandem racks, but figuring there are probably one or two other companies out there that I'm not aware of.
Old 07-31-2019, 01:47 AM

If you have (3) roof bars, you can mount (2) single bike supports slightly diagonally and attach the fork/front wheel of the tandem to the front one and the rear wheel to the rear one. Watch for the front chainring, though.
Old 07-31-2019, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothard View Post
If you have (3) roof bars, you can mount (2) single bike supports slightly diagonally and attach the fork/front wheel of the tandem to the front one and the rear wheel to the rear one. Watch for the front chainring, though.
I could do this as I have an extra single tray, but am missing the third crossbar. I'm thinking about a mounting a 2x4 with a bolt on fork mount to the cross bars... simple and cheap. I could also make a visit to the local grainger to get some 80/20 and diy a slightly better looking rack that way too.

Macguyver solutions aside, anyone have a tandem rack they prefer?
Old 07-31-2019, 11:21 PM
You still here?

You might look at the Draftmaster tandem rack, pretty nifty and easy to use. I had one when we had our Burley tandem. You can carry singles at the same time. http://www.atoc.com/draftmasterlong.php

Last edited by dave thompson; 08-01-2019 at 12:45 AM.