Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-15-2014, 12:21 AM

Photos from your rides.

I searched and couldn't find a thread for posting ride pics, so I thought I'd create one. Here are some pics I took from a ride a few days ago on the 39, one of the finest climbs in southern california.

full res photos here: http://imgur.com/a/g1GAQ

Old 12-15-2014, 10:49 AM

Some highlights from this year's rides. Excuse the picture quality, they're all cel phone photos

Last edited by Roger M; 12-15-2014 at 10:53 AM.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:46 AM
The B!

Roger - does WA20 have any kind of pre-open for bikes before letting cars roll through in the spring?
Old 12-15-2014, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The B View Post
Roger - does WA20 have any kind of pre-open for bikes before letting cars roll through in the spring?
I rode it the day before they opened the gates to cars this year. They usually announce it a few days before they open to motor vehicles. This year happened to be in early may, but it varies. That window of time is the best opportunity to ride(IMHO).

Here's what WSDOT has to say:

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Traffic/Pass...ades/FAQ.htm#9

Last edited by Roger M; 12-15-2014 at 11:55 AM.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:56 AM
Classics Fan

@metal: the road surface looks to deteriorate somewhat, and then, with the rocks! Still, that road surface isn't bad compared to stuff around here, but we don't usually have rocks in the road! Can you share where that climb is? on a map, strava segment, whatever. I'm curious.

Thanks
Old 12-15-2014, 12:10 PM
The B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger M View Post
I rode it the day before they opened the gates to cars this year. They usually announce it a few days before they open to motor vehicles. This year happened to be in early may, but it varies. That window of time is the best opportunity to ride(IMHO).

Here's what WSDOT has to say:

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Traffic/Pass...ades/FAQ.htm#9
Nice... I will definitely have to take advantage of this information. Oregon route 242 opens for, IIRC, 2 weeks to bikes/non motorized traffic before they allow car access. It's pretty cool to have 50 or so miles of mountain highway entirely to yourself (and some other cyclists)

WA20 is of particular interest, though, as it accesses the best alpine climbing in the continental US, and every spring when the highway opens, it's a mad race of climbers from all over the region ripping up the highway from both sides, trying to grab the 1 week conditions window that generally exists to do the gnarliest of icy north faces up there. Getting a jump on it by riding in a week in advance would be super rad.
Old 12-15-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The B View Post
Nice... I will definitely have to take advantage of this information. Oregon route 242 opens for, IIRC, 2 weeks to bikes/non motorized traffic before they allow car access. It's pretty cool to have 50 or so miles of mountain highway entirely to yourself (and some other cyclists)

WA20 is of particular interest, though, as it accesses the best alpine climbing in the continental US, and every spring when the highway opens, it's a mad race of climbers from all over the region ripping up the highway from both sides, trying to grab the 1 week conditions window that generally exists to do the gnarliest of icy north faces up there. Getting a jump on it by riding in a week in advance would be super rad.
Not a climber, but yeah, I'd imagine some great alpine climbing via the North Cascades Hwy. Here's a couple more pictures from that ride. My GPS went wonky that day, but I rode 80 miles and gained about 7400' that day. Its worth the drive up.

Old 12-15-2014, 12:46 PM

Mr Moderator(s), any chance of starting a "sticky" just for ride photos. I know I shoot stuff on just about every ride that isn't a serious "throw down" and it would be great to see images, be it cell phone, pocket cameras or dslrs from forum members around the country and the globe all in one place instead of multiple threads. Not looking for folks to write "stories or travelogues" just a short simple post with photos as the main "subject" and perhaps a couple comments about where it was, length of ride or specific climb etc. If members then wanted to ask questions that would be cool.
I enjoy looking at ride photos all most as much as I do looking at the bikes in the "production and custom" sections of the forum.

Thoughts mods?

In the interest of perhaps "jump starting" this idea I'll add a photo:

Just outside Portland OR, heading onto Sauvie Island. Flattest ride you can do in the Portland area, 12mile loop with various "branches" off the loop. If you use every road you can ride approx 60miles give or take a bit. Also has some gravel options. Mountain on left is St.Helens(8300') on the right is Mt Adams(12,200'), bike is my Serotta CDA.

[IMG]PB210737 by KRhea FrzFrmFoto, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 12-15-2014, 01:06 PM
The B!

My ride pics never look anything like y'allsez..

Old 12-15-2014, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
@metal: the road surface looks to deteriorate somewhat, and then, with the rocks! Still, that road surface isn't bad compared to stuff around here, but we don't usually have rocks in the road! Can you share where that climb is? on a map, strava segment, whatever. I'm curious.

Thanks
Absolutely, here's the ride on strava: http://app.strava.com/activities/228263241 The section where the road deteriorates considerably is actually technically closed to all traffic, including cyclists, but you can just duck under the gate on a bike, nobody to stop you...
Old 12-15-2014, 08:57 PM

Photos from your rides.

@metal , my old stomping grounds are GMR and Azusa canyon, miss it. Would like to go back and ride them.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:19 PM
Descent fitness

Hot dang! It's raining in California again!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (58.3 KB, 8036 views)
Old 12-16-2014, 02:49 PM

Photos from your rides.

Took my gravel monstrosity out for a shakedown ride today.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:09 PM

here are some from earlier this year:

into eatonville by yummygooey, on Flickr

stevens canyon by yummygooey, on Flickr

squirrel on a mountain by yummygooey, on Flickr

sketchy/rad descents by yummygooey, on Flickr

warp speed ben by yummygooey, on Flickr
Old 12-16-2014, 04:34 PM

Nice bunch of pics "yummy"!