Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-20-2024, 09:01 AM

OT - Ohtani's 50/50

SO is the first player to hit 50 home runs and steal 50 bases in a single season.
The other nite he went 6-6, with 3 HR, 10 rbi's and 2 stolen bases!!!

Amazing -
Old 09-20-2024, 09:21 AM

I really want a Dodger vs yankee WS.
Old 09-20-2024, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdntrxi View Post
So does Rob Manfred.
Old 09-20-2024, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc1934 View Post
SO is the first player to hit 50 home runs and steal 50 bases in a single season.

Amazing -
I was just discussing this with cgolvin last night. This is a golden era for baseball. They’ve unleashed athleticism by making it more conducive to steal bases. It’s great for the game. Has there ever been a more exciting player than Rickey Henderson?

No.

But the fastest and best ranked defensive player in the game today is Bobby Witt Jr. And that’s shocking considering his shortstop counterpoint in the NL
is Elly De La Cruz, who is the closest approximation to Rickey I’ve seen in a long time (speed+power+charisma). And that’s just scratching the surface. Judge. Ohtani. Soto. Acuna (the first 40/70 player in the game.)

If I had to build a team around one player, I’d be hard pressed to make that choice. Maybe Witt Jr.
Old 09-20-2024, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Dodgers ain't dem bums anymore.

Judge vs Ohtani HR contest!!!
Old 09-20-2024, 09:51 AM

Just to clarify: Ohtani is having an incredible season. A shoo-in for the NL MVP. And the most unique player in MLB history. (If Ruth ran like Cobb, it would be a different story) It will be interesting to see if the Dodgers continue to utilize him as a two-way player.
Old 09-20-2024, 09:57 AM
slower than you

Quote:
Dodgers ain't dem bums anymore.

Judge vs Ohtani HR contest!!!

They've proven themselves in the box. Put both on the mound and see who wins.
Old 09-20-2024, 10:10 AM

Quote:

Amazing -
It was interesting to read his teammates’ reactions to that game (6/6, 3HR, 10RBI, etc.) and his season in general. They seem genuinely flabbergasted in a way that I’m not used to hearing pro athletes (particularly baseball players) talk about other athletes. One of his teammates wondered if that game in particular was the best offensive baseball performance ever, and said he had never seen anything like it going back to his time in Little League, let alone as a pro.

Last edited by Xrslug; 09-20-2024 at 10:35 AM.
Old 09-20-2024, 10:25 AM
50 bpm

Quote:
I want to see who's going to beat the Dodgers in the playoffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
So does Rob Manfred.
It actually would be good for baseball. But Rob Manfred doesn't do "good for baseball." He makes Bud Selig look good by comparison.
Old 09-20-2024, 10:31 AM

Quote:
I was just discussing this with cgolvin last night. This is a golden era for baseball. They’ve unleashed athleticism by making it more conducive to steal bases. It’s great for the game. Has there ever been a more exciting player than Rickey Henderson?

No.

But the fastest and best ranked defensive player in the game today is Bobby Witt Jr. And that’s shocking considering his shortstop counterpoint in the NL
is Elly De La Cruz, who is the closest approximation to Rickey I’ve seen in a long time (speed+power+charisma). And that’s just scratching the surface. Judge. Ohtani. Soto. Acuna (the first 40/70 player in the game.)

If I had to build a team around one player, I’d be hard pressed to make that choice. Maybe Witt Jr.
Sort of a renaissance of SS talent happening. It's hard to argue with your choice of EDLC in the NL, but he strikes out a **** ton, way more than Rickey. He also makes a **** ton of defensive errors (league leading). I love watching the kid, but he plays for the Reds so. . .

Do not overlook Masyn Winn. He'd likely be the ROY in most years, but the NL rookie class is friggin' stacked.

Quote:
Just to clarify: Ohtani is having an incredible season. A shoo-in for the NL MVP. And the most unique player in MLB history. (If Ruth ran like Cobb, it would be a different story) It will be interesting to see if the Dodgers continue to utilize him as a two-way player.
People really need to accept that today's players are light years ahead of those in Ruth's era. The game was different in myriad ways. If Ruth were playing now he might only be average.

Last edited by ColonelJLloyd; 09-20-2024 at 10:35 AM.
Old 09-20-2024, 10:42 AM

[QUOTE=ColonelJLloyd;3424842]Sort of a renaissance of SS talent happening. It's hard to argue with your choice of EDLC in the NL, but he strikes out a **** ton, way more than Rickey. He also makes a **** ton of defensive errors (league leading). I love watching the kid, but he plays for the Reds so. . .

Do not overlook Masyn Winn. He'd likely be the ROY in most years, but the NL rookie class is friggin' stacked.

People really need to accept that today's players are light years ahead of those in Ruth's era. The game was different in myriad ways. If Ruth were playing now he might only be average.[/
QUOTE]

Interesting argument. You’re probably right about Ruth. But where do you draw the line? Is Ted Williams no longer the best “pure” hitter the game has ever seen? Is Willie Mays no longer the greatest player, period?
Old 09-20-2024, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
Sort of a renaissance of SS talent happening. It's hard to argue with your choice of EDLC in the NL, but he strikes out a **** ton, way more than Rickey. He also makes a **** ton of defensive errors (league leading). I love watching the kid, but he plays for the Reds so. . .

People really need to accept that today's players are light years ahead of those in Ruth's era. The game was different in myriad ways. If Ruth were playing now he might only be average.
Edit: Just so you know where I’m coming from: I’m a child of the Eighties. There never will be a baseball player as elegant and classy as The Wizard. He played like he was wearing a tuxedo instead of a jersey. My favorite player of all time. Bar none.
Old 09-20-2024, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post

Or he might be the best. He was an excellent pitcher, hit for average and hit way more home runs than other home run hitters of his era.

He clearly was special.

Jeff
Old 09-20-2024, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwdm View Post
Or he might be the best. He was an excellent pitcher, hit for average and hit way more home runs than other home run hitters of his era.

He clearly was special.

Jeff
The homerun thing can be a bit overblown. Relief pitchers were a rarity and not nearly as specialized as they are in the modern era. If a pitcher was having a bad game and/or someone else was brought in it was considered "up your average" time (HR's for Ruth).
Old 09-20-2024, 11:54 AM

Another moment from the record-breaking Ohtani game that I thought was great and so old school baseball — when SO was up to bat with runners on second and third, when he was still at 49 homers, there was some question as to whether the Marlins would walk him: "F--- that," a television camera showed Marlins manager Skip Schumaker saying in his dugout. "I've got too much respect for this guy for that s--- to happen."