Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-30-2023, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
that just doesn't seem right.. have you asked NiteRider about it?
No. I just thought it was a consequence of higher light output with battery capacity matching the NR 100.
Old 04-26-2024, 03:58 PM

Choosing between Light and Motion and Cygolite

I'm reviving an older thread. In about a month I'm doing my first 24 hour relay mountain bike race. All lights I've ever had were fairly cheap, low lumen lights for commuting.

I'm debating between the Light & Motion Seca Comp 2000 that's currently on sale for $100 or Cygolite Ranger that sells for $103 on Amazon.

https://lightandmotion.com/products/seca-comp-2000
https://cygolite.com/product/ranger-2000/

My thinking is that the Light & and Motion is the way to go given the sale price. Anyone want to caution otherwise?

Thanks for your thoughts!
Old 04-26-2024, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsl View Post
I'm reviving an older thread. In about a month I'm doing my first 24 hour relay mountain bike race. All lights I've ever had were fairly cheap, low lumen lights for commuting.

I'm debating between the Light & Motion Seca Comp 2000 that's currently on sale for $100 or Cygolite Ranger that sells for $103 on Amazon.

https://lightandmotion.com/products/seca-comp-2000
https://cygolite.com/product/ranger-2000/

My thinking is that the Light & and Motion is the way to go given the sale price. Anyone want to caution otherwise?

Thanks for your thoughts!
Why would you consider a light with an integrated battery for extended runtimes?
Old 04-26-2024, 05:57 PM

You’ll need at least two lights for mtb racing at night. One on your bars and the other on your helmet. Depending on the course and event you might also want to carry a spare helmet light.

Unless you’re on a tight budget and night riding is just going to be a one-time thing, I would buy your lights from Outbound. They have the best optics, and all of their lights are both quick charging compatible and can support an external battery pack to charge while in use.

Another approach would be to just buy 4 Niterider lights so can have a fresh set of lights each time you go out. They are great lights for the money.
Old 04-26-2024, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice rocket View Post
Why would you consider a light with an integrated battery for extended runtimes?
Yes, good point. I should have been more clear in my original post. It's a 24 hour relay, so I believe I'll be taking a turn that will be about a 60-90 minute ride, with 3 or 4 hours in between to recharge before I ride again.

It's basically just for fun with friends, so I'm looking for something budget-friendly, but it won't get a ton of use otherwise.

Thanks!
Old 04-26-2024, 10:14 PM

I have a varia front and rear light with the radar. battery is not great but the selling point is integration with the garmin to have it automatically turn on as I head out for a ride and off when I get back home. didn't think I'd find it as useful as I would but really enjoy the ease of use.