Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-11-2019, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
Its perhaps the prettiest saddle that is ok to sit on

I have had 2. First broke. Got replacement. Was okay for almost a year. Now that broke while i was in the process of ordering another which has taken so far more than a month and i get a reply every other week or so but i still cant pay or order the saddle.. Not happy about their customer service atm tbh. And now i got another broken one to deal with.. argh.

This is from a guy who never broke a saddle ever before despite riding a lot more than most.
Mind if I ask where you purchased them? I would be more than happy to send some emails and help expedite the process.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:36 AM
Lanterne rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by duff_duffy View Post
I’m a male and yet my favorite saddle of all time was a woman’s saddle that is now on my sons bike. I was kind of embarrassed when someone pointed it out to me but got over it real quick!
I pointed out that a Specialized Power everyone loved was a “women’s fit” saddle. Shorter and wider. Nobody cared because it was cool.
Ride what fits, no sense in being uncomfortable.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:33 AM

Ridden a ton of saddles, including many of the newer styles, and I still come back to a Selle Regal. It's heavy, but I can ride it forever. Saddles are so personal tho. Most of my friends are rolling on some version of the power saddles these days. They seem to dig them.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteVelo View Post
Mind if I ask where you purchased them? I would be more than happy to send some emails and help expedite the process.
Thanks appreciated, but its Jure ive been talking to.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:52 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankldu View Post
For long distance , reguardless of price and weight , of course everyone is diff but trying to add opinions up I have tried brooks ,gel flow ,had a terry fly some years back and it was very good but the new ones r diff .
No answer but try a saddle that has a test ride program where you can actually ride it for extended rides.
I use SMP Gliders, btw-work great.....for me.
Old 07-13-2019, 11:48 PM

I gotta admit the Selle SMP 209 Lite fits my butt pretty well, have a Specialized Power saddle that I truly, thoroughly despise...
Old 07-14-2019, 01:41 AM
Byron

and what is you favorite pair of undies?
opinions may vary.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:35 AM

It's a bit of a stupid question as the rest of your fit determines the type of saddle you need. I'm sure plenty of people love those Brookes saddles, but when your handlebars are 10 or more centimetres lower than your saddle, maybe not so much. I like the Giant Contact Forward saddle, it's shaped a bit like a Specialized Romin or an SMP, but doesn't carry a price premium. Fabric saddles or those stub nosed saddles (Pro and Specialized Power) are generally well like as well.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:47 AM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
I do not like Fabric Scoop, Fizik Alliante (both are not flat)
Ha! Conversely, I've had a fizik Aliante on all of my bikes for the past 13 years, and have never ridden another saddle that would make me not want to continue with the Aliante as my go-to ...until I picked up a bike with a Fabric Scoop, and realized that A) it was comfy enough that I didn't need to immediately change it out to an Aliante, and B) if fizik ever completely stops making the Aliante* I could probably get away with the Fabric Scoop as my go-to.

Because we're all different.

*(Arguably that's already happened.)
Old 07-14-2019, 07:06 AM
Randomhead

I have an Aliante on all my bikes now. It's not perfect, and I probably tilt them down a bit more than they intend. I have ridden 5 1200km/1000km brevets on them without serious issue. That shape probably works best with a fairly upright position. I really wanted to like the Airone, and it passed my 100 mile test, but I finally gave up on it.
Old 07-14-2019, 08:06 AM

I can't remember ever thinking about my saddle when I rode one of these
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Saddle.jpg (70.0 KB, 178 views)
Old 07-14-2019, 08:24 AM

i assume this is supposed to be a question...

My favorite 2 are fabric scoop shallow and Berk Lupina
Old 07-14-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
One thing I noticed.

When I am not fit or having other health-related issues, everything gets amplified. I blame my equipment/saddle. I spent a lot of money looking for quick fixes. Most don't work...not until I fix "me'.
Very much agree. When I was a pseudo pro I could ride on any saddle I was given in the cheapest bibs with a sandpaper chamois. Didn’t really have much say in the matter so glad that worked out...

For me though, fizik Antares 00 gets my money. Even out of shape it works for a few hours but when flying I can ride it all day with zero discomfort.
Old 07-14-2019, 05:10 PM
needs adult supervision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
For me though, fizik Antares 00 gets my money. Even out of shape it works for a few hours but when flying I can ride it all day with zero discomfort.
Curious...do other Antares models work for you, too, or is it just the 00? If it is just the 00, any idea why? After much saddle hell, I’m zeroing in on the Antares as the saddle that may (fingers crossed) be my go to. So curious about various versions of Antares. Thx!
Old 07-14-2019, 07:35 PM

My old faithful is a 15 year old brooks swift ti and the SMP Glider. In he past my go to saddle was the 90’s Flite Ti. I had so many of these flites.
I really didn’t like the Fabric Scoop. It hurt in all the wrong places.
Brooks C13 was too narrow for me and the wider cambium shredded my pants between my thighs.
I really liked the way the C13 and the fabric scoop looked on my bike, visually, I just couldn’t get comfortable on them.