Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-29-2019, 04:45 PM
commuter racer

Its hard to know if the shop did the damage or the seller? Still, even with the scratch, what a deal on a sweet frame... but yeah it's an ugly scratch.
Old 06-29-2019, 04:47 PM
Tired Member

To my eye, the original photo shows nicks in the top tube paint, but the scrape in question is neither noted nor shown. I agree with others that this was done during packing.

Based on previous sales, the seller is not a "bike person" but someone who only occasionally sells on ebay, and probably doesn't know the difference between what was there and this new scrape the OP shows.

I'd probably ask the seller for a specific dollar amount as they are responsible. They were not trying to misrepresent the bike; but I'd be prepared to eat the cost. The paint on the top tube was already nicked, and that is shown in the photos of the sale. The seller probably has no recourse against the bike shop. The money on shipping probably was spent on packing and shipping.

Alternatively, put some money into the frame and get a set of decals and a fresh powdercoat.
Old 06-29-2019, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbike4 View Post
Bought a bike on ebay auction since I need another Atlanta and like the color. 8000 group ready to go on after pulling the 9 speed off it. I asked the seller for more photos to show any defects or damage. He sent more. Looks good from what he sent. Receive bike which was packed by LBS after he handed it off to them. Packing is good. Remove styrofoam padding from top tube and there is this large scratch in the paint never seen before or mentioned in the listing. S¶§t. Like most people I would not have paid what I did or possibly even bought the thing had I known about this. Hard to look at it when riding since it’s in your face so to speak.

I contacted the seller, sent photo of scratch. No response. His ad says no returns, blah blah which or course means nothing to ebay with what I consider undisclosed damage.

Would you ride a frame with a giant scratch? I can’t unless the price is right or find a suitable touch up paint but chances are I will not find another Atlanta in my size in this color, which seems a bit like a unicorn.

My photo and Link to ad:https://www.ebay.com/itm/SEROTTA-ATL...72.m2749.l2649
First... love the color. Hard to tell if the scratch was there in the original photos, but it looks amazing. That said, that’s a nasty scratch, worthy of some “consideration”. If you want a pro blend job I have the guy, but it means shipping so look for someone local, a good auto guy can handle that
Old 06-29-2019, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbike4 View Post
Bought a bike on ebay auction since I need another Atlanta and like the color. 8000 group ready to go on after pulling the 9 speed off it. I asked the seller for more photos to show any defects or damage. He sent more. Looks good from what he sent. Receive bike which was packed by LBS after he handed it off to them. Packing is good. Remove styrofoam padding from top tube and there is this large scratch in the paint never seen before or mentioned in the listing. S¶§t. Like most people I would not have paid what I did or possibly even bought the thing had I known about this. Hard to look at it when riding since it’s in your face so to speak.

I contacted the seller, sent photo of scratch. No response. His ad says no returns, blah blah which or course means nothing to ebay with what I consider undisclosed damage.

Would you ride a frame with a giant scratch? I can’t unless the price is right or find a suitable touch up paint but chances are I will not find another Atlanta in my size in this color, which seems a bit like a unicorn.

My photo and Link to ad:https://www.ebay.com/itm/SEROTTA-ATL...72.m2749.l2649
OH MY GOD!!!!
It´s a used bike you bought from ebay, right?
Old 06-29-2019, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tctyres View Post
Based on previous sales, the seller is not a "bike person" but someone who only occasionally sells on ebay, and probably doesn't know the difference between what was there and this new scrape the OP shows.
^ This makes sense. Sometimes one forgets that not every owner of a XYZ thingy looks at it and thinks about the condition to the extent that others do.
Old 06-29-2019, 05:41 PM

... and your point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
OH MY GOD!!!!
It´s a used bike you bought from ebay, right?
I guess it’s ok not to disclose the complete condition... that’s the issue
Old 06-29-2019, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
I guess it’s ok not to disclose the complete condition... that’s the issue
Sure. Give it back. Fix it. Ride and don´t care. What else? Write a novel.. maybe.
Old 06-29-2019, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
you got that bike for a steal. i wouldnt even pursue anything with ebay or the seller. get some touch up paint and call it good.
Only after reading AngryScientist's reply was I motivated to check the eBay ad.

He's right; you got such a deal that the scratch doesn't warrant trying to recover from the seller.

Focus your effort on either touching up the spot or covering it up. I like the suggestion of the leather top tube protector. I would recommend buying some of the Serotta decals offered on eBay and covering up the flaw.
Old 06-29-2019, 06:07 PM

That’s a nice looking bike for a good price. It’s the feeling duped part that hurts, otherwise I bet you would have still been happy with the deal had you known about it. You should be able to get some money back— maybe not enough to cover a pro repair, but a decent chunk of it.

If it was mine, I’d settle it easy, throw a little touch up on it, and call it the first scratch out of the way. Every painted bike that actually gets ridden is just a tick-tock away from the next blemish anyway.
Old 06-29-2019, 06:07 PM

Easily repaired by a good paint guy, get a quote, ask for a partial refund in line with the quote. No response, make a decision on keeping it, sending back to seller for a refund or appeal to Ebay for a "not as described" partial refund.
Old 06-29-2019, 06:18 PM
aka RAEKWON

ufff, if something like this bothered me, I would have to throw all my bikes away...

But really, you are in the right, I get it and you are 100% right and you should be upset about the scratch. That said, if you like the bike and you got it for a good deal I would do what Angry said, stop thinking about it and wasting hours trying to get a refund, or maybe do put a few hours trying and if nothing comes of it then just ride the hell out of it.
It is just not worth getting worked up about imo.

My last 2 bikes, 1 was new, 1 had 400 miles so virtually new. I literally scratched the F out of the chain stay within 200 miles of owning them. I was bummed, not going to lie but now I just ride the crap out of it because hey, its scratched already right?
Old 06-29-2019, 06:41 PM

Knock it over and let it fall on the ground. Pretend you scratched it.

Ride bike, have fun.
Old 06-29-2019, 06:47 PM

WTB Campagnolo 12V

Where can I find Campy Super Record 12 for the price of Sora?

Last edited by beeatnik; 06-29-2019 at 06:50 PM.
Old 06-29-2019, 07:51 PM

I've seen "scratch and dent" guys fix worst scratches on car bodies....you couldn't tell afterwards.....cheap also.

I had a bad scratch on a rear fender once....took it to a scratch and dent guy. He came out with his "kit' of spray bottles....sprayed some various colors in a spray can lid....stirred it up...then used a q tip over the scratch, then rubbed it out. Looked like new. Those guys perform miracles.
Old 06-29-2019, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Knock it over and let it fall on the ground. Pretend you scratched it.

Ride bike, have fun.
^^This, all day long.

Seriously, if it bugs you this much just send it back. No offense, you seem like someone who won't be happy even after it's repaired, just knowing the scrape was there. That's not an issue, just be honest with yourself. And the others are right, that paint will be difficult to match.