Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-23-2019, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman1425 View Post
According to my owners manual, it voids the warranty if you tow. The haldex System in these cars can’t handle towing. A hitch doesn’t mean towing but I have read several reports of warranties getting voided by dealers for installing them.
The Golf R and the Alltrack have the Haldex, being AWD - but does the GTI? Also, curiously, in Europe the Golfs including the Alltrack are highly regarded as tow vehicles but in North America not rated for towing.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palincss View Post
The Golf R and the Alltrack have the Haldex, being AWD - but does the GTI? Also, curiously, in Europe the Golfs including the Alltrack are highly regarded as tow vehicles but in North America not rated for towing.
GTI doesn't have Haldex, it's FWD only.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
Delish, being from NJ which has some lovely roads....how's the ride of the GTI over potholes, etc.?

Thanks for the info on the Ecohitch.
Mine is the Autobahn which has DCC (adjustable suspension dampening). I’ve heard the “normal” mode is similar to stock non-DCC. It’s stiff but not harsh. Potholes are jarring. 17” wheels with snows for winter, which is especially useful when the roads go to hell in early March as the freeze thaw hammers them.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:34 AM

Had a '17 GTI and traded it for the '19 GTI Rabbit edition in cornflower blue - fantastic car. Bikes fit no problem - remove package shelf and you're good to go with back seat down (There is even a cool storage space for the package shelf in the spare tire well).

It is a sport suspension, but is also adjustable - there is a comfort mode that is somewhat softer. Even with the terrible roads in MA the ride is just fine. I've done a number of 800 mile weekend jaunts, and it is a very smooth, very comfortable road car. Just remember to set a speed warning at 80MPH or so.

Get one!
Old 07-16-2019, 11:25 PM

2016 gti with 1-1/4" hidden hitch by drawtite. Works awsome with a Thule 2 bike rack.