Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-16-2019, 06:56 PM
Administrator

TdF 10/day challenge - anyone IN?

Alright Lance - I'm in!

I like the idea of the SPAR challenge.

The basic premise is that you enter the challenge to ride 10 miles per day for the last 10 days of the tdf. if you miss a day, you pay $10 bucks into the pot. winners split the pot at the end.

sounds fun.

who's in?

https://lance.getspar.com/
Old 07-16-2019, 07:27 PM

How do you win? And, Lance, so no.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:34 PM

What if you ride more than 10 miles a day? Is the pot split between everyone that rides the 10 consecutive days? So if everyone rides then nobody wins or pays?
Old 07-16-2019, 07:37 PM

Yeah I'll pass.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:48 PM

I'm in.

Jake
Old 07-16-2019, 07:55 PM
Administrator

yea yea yea, everyone hates lance.

i dont waste my energy hating anyone, and it's immaterial that he's promoting this. it's a good excuse for me to get off my butt and ride some miles.

as far as i understand it's just 10 miles minimum/day. no bonus points for longer rides. winners are those who miss the fewest days and pot is split between winners.
Old 07-17-2019, 09:13 AM

If your excuse for riding your bike is not "because I enjoy doing it", then maybe it's time to re-examine your hobbies?

Apologies if that sounds crass. I don't mean it that way. It makes me sad to see folks feeling duty-bound to ride their bikes, or to hear they need some extra motivation to do it.

I genuinely enjoy riding my bike. If I don't feel like doing it, I don't. It helps to maintain the joy for the sport.

Last edited by berserk87; 07-17-2019 at 09:26 AM.
Old 07-20-2019, 10:16 AM
Administrator

Day one in the books!

it was over 90F here before 10 AM! HOT!

Old 07-20-2019, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserk87 View Post
If your excuse for riding your bike is not "because I enjoy doing it", then maybe it's time to re-examine your hobbies?

Apologies if that sounds crass. I don't mean it that way. It makes me sad to see folks feeling duty-bound to ride their bikes, or to hear they need some extra motivation to do it.

I genuinely enjoy riding my bike. If I don't feel like doing it, I don't. It helps to maintain the joy for the sport.
Well, it's not exactly like punching a time clock at the factory. Most of us don't need additional motivation to ride. This is more like a simple game based on something you enjoy doing anyway, rather than the motivation or "excuse" for doing it. Plus there is $$ to make it interesting.

Reminds me of the randonneurs 12 x 200 where the goal is to ride a 200k each month for a year-a particular challenge in the colder climes. No money in it though.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:27 PM

I'm in lol. I think its impossible for me to lose this.

I just watched the video. It started yesterday. I dont have a cycling computer anyway.

Last edited by jtakeda; 07-20-2019 at 08:45 PM.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciero View Post
Well, it's not exactly like punching a time clock at the factory. Most of us don't need additional motivation to ride. This is more like a simple game based on something you enjoy doing anyway, rather than the motivation or "excuse" for doing it. Plus there is $$ to make it interesting.

Reminds me of the randonneurs 12 x 200 where the goal is to ride a 200k each month for a year-a particular challenge in the colder climes. No money in it though.
If you think R-12 is crazy you should look at the back of Randonneurs USA
Old 07-20-2019, 08:29 PM
#BLM

how do you prove that you did the ride?

is there a minimum amount of drug consumption required as well?
Old 07-21-2019, 10:19 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserk87 View Post

i thought about this question a little this morning on my ride.

of course i enjoy riding. sports are interesting though, especially endurance typed sport like cycling. there is a certain amount of suffering involved, and that's what makes us better. do we really enjoy the suffering? i dont know?

but this challenge is no different that any other challenge you might sign up for. a long hard ride, a race, whatever. you sign up to get out of your comfort zone and take on a new challenge.

i do enjoy riding, but would i otherwise be logging miles on a day like today where the heat index is already well over 100? probably not, but i signed up for the challenge, so i got out there and rode.
Old 07-21-2019, 10:20 AM
Administrator

anyway, beat the heat 10/10 day 2 is in the books!

Old 07-22-2019, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
i thought about this question a little this morning on my ride.

of course i enjoy riding. sports are interesting though, especially endurance typed sport like cycling. there is a certain amount of suffering involved, and that's what makes us better. do we really enjoy the suffering? i dont know?

but this challenge is no different that any other challenge you might sign up for. a long hard ride, a race, whatever. you sign up to get out of your comfort zone and take on a new challenge.

i do enjoy riding, but would i otherwise be logging miles on a day like today where the heat index is already well over 100? probably not, but i signed up for the challenge, so i got out there and rode.
Fair enough. Good to hear that you are not being affected by burnout or something that would make you want hunt for reasons to do something you would rather not.

I'm not sure that the joy is in the suffering itself either, but perhaps it's having done the suffering after it's over.