Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old Yesterday, 08:36 PM

New tubeless tire won't hold air

Just set up my new Reynolds 650b wheels..installed Campy roters, an N3W freehub, Ekar cassette and a pair of Pirelli H 45mm tires.

Installation was easy, took very little to seat the tires on the tubeless rims (no tape needed). Added 2 oz of sealant

Rear tire took 60 lbs and has held for days.

Front tire lost all pressure within an hour or so. I don't hear any air loss; don't see any sealant leaking anywhere...

Thoughts?

Probably not relevant, but the rear rotor located perfectly. The front is off by just a hair. Very slight rub with no weight on the wheel. Not sure how to adjust or whether I should...
HotTubes
LiteSpeeds
SpeshFat
Old Yesterday, 09:01 PM

How well is the valve stem seated? Is the valve core tight?
Old Today, 05:43 AM

Regarding the brake rub- With new brake pads, I sometimes use the "ignore it and it will go away" approach. IME minor rubbing-the kind that is heard but does not noticeably slow down the wheel when spinning in the stand - goes away after a ride or two.

Regarding the tire sealing, I have nothing aside from the usual suspects. Try again but more vigorously circulate the sealant inside the tire.
Old Today, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati2 View Post
How well is the valve stem seated? Is the valve core tight?
Thanks...the valve stem is well seated. I might swap out the valve core...are they interchangeable?
HotTubes
LiteSpeeds
SpeshFat
Old Today, 07:19 AM

Sometimes I have to go through a cycle of reinflating and spinning the wheel a few times to get all the sealant where it needs to be, then it will hold air fine.
Old Today, 07:30 AM

The best thing you can do for a new tubeless installation with sealant is to inflate and ride the bike immediately. This distributes the sealant flexes the tire and gives the whole thing a chance to seal up. If this doesn’t work, take the tire off and look for obvious problems like crud in the rim seat
Old Today, 07:58 AM

Check the tape.

Whenever I’ve had issues with tubeless with tires that aren’t Rene Herse’s overpriced garbage, the issue has been the tape. Maybe two laters would help.
Old Today, 08:06 AM

All this speculation is absurd. Just take some dish soap, get it really sudsy, and sponge it on all around wheel. Make sure to cover the spoke nipples, valve stem, and rim/tire area. You'll have your answer within seconds.
Old Today, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermalattorney View Post
All this speculation is absurd. Just take some dish soap, get it really sudsy, and sponge it on all around wheel. Make sure to cover the spoke nipples, valve stem, and rim/tire area. You'll have your answer within seconds.
I had. this same problem recently, while I didn't do your soap trick, I did something very similar.
I filled up the sink, then spun the wheel with the tire around very slowly, only putting it as deep as where the tire and rim meet not dunking the while rim into the water, you will instantly see bubbles coming out where the leak is.
Old Today, 09:00 AM

Sometimes this forum needs a quick reading comprehension check before logging in

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
Installation was easy, took very little to seat the tires on the tubeless rims (no tape needed). Added 2 oz of sealant
Quote:
Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
Whenever I’ve had issues with tubeless with tires that aren’t Rene Herse’s overpriced garbage, the issue has been the tape. Maybe two laters would help.
Old Today, 09:05 AM

Reynolds wheels I’ve seen all require tape. If they don’t I’d love to know because maybe I’d be interested
Old Today, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryA View Post
The best thing you can do for a new tubeless installation with sealant is to inflate and ride the bike immediately. This distributes the sealant flexes the tire and gives the whole thing a chance to seal up. If this doesn’t work, take the tire off and look for obvious problems like crud in the rim seat
This is the answer. Usually a spin around the neighborhood will do the trick, especially on a new setup.

Steels are Alloys too!