Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-02-2017, 11:26 PM

OP do you have a picture of you riding the bike with the new modifications??

Between you and me the frame probably fits (based in the 1st picture) but it needs to be fit correctly.
Old 06-03-2017, 12:53 AM

Is the fork steering tube alloy or carbon?

Can't be sure from the pic but if the steering tube is carbon, the distance between the stem and headset may be excessive/unsafe.
Old 06-03-2017, 05:22 AM
Ride 'yer bike.

Still no...
Old 06-03-2017, 04:28 PM

Another factor that I hadn't really expected to be quite as much of an issue is that the cranks on my other bikes have always been 165 and the ones on the Serotta are 170. Something else I have to work with. If none of my adjustments work out I think I'm gong to pay for a professional fit. I know Bicycle John's in Burbank does fit and it's worth having everything dialed in, worst case scenario, they'll be able to tell me concretely whether it fits or not. THanks all.
Old 06-04-2017, 11:44 PM

Did a quick thirty miles yesterday which felt a little better, but I'm going to try a couple more adjustments because there is still a bit too much weight resting on my hands for my comfort. I'll try this last setup and then try to get a picture of my positioning on it. Thanks.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti Designs View Post
Still no...
Are your persistent "no"s the urging of a fit professional to pay for a professional fit?
Old 06-05-2017, 08:29 AM
It An't Me Babe

This is not to defend Ti Designs as he is fully capable of speaking in his own stead...but I think you are getting all twisted around the axle here in both you approach to trying to solve your fit & position and the mish mash of advice given by all, given with the best of intentions of course, to help you find your way.

It is quite possible, that nobody or few posting in this thread, can actually do what they are advising of you to do. They should speak up as this is a discussion forum and we all like talkin' about bikes. And you get to consider all the different ideas and chatter enjoyed in this thread. As always, any advice, however well meaning, should be taken with caution.

I'll try to add some value here other than just sounding like I am unproductively just criticizing others: post a picture of yourself on this bike. Just giving numbers for the current fit on bike itself is of little value because those numbers reflect how you currently perch and pedal this bike and if you are way, way off from being correct in the fundamentals on how you ride a sporting drop bar bicycle, just focusing on the bike will reveal nothing. In the bigger picture the true fix would likely involve not just the bike setup but also the rider changing how he rides the bike.

Good luck and find somebody who can help you that actually knows what he/she is doing - metaphorically someone like Ti Designs.
Old 06-05-2017, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzalow View Post
This is not to defend Ti Designs as he is fully capable of speaking in his own stead...but I think you are getting all twisted around the axle here in both you approach to trying to solve your fit & position and the mish mash of advice given by all, given with the best of intentions of course, to help you find your way.

It is quite possible, that nobody or few posting in this thread, can actually do what they are advising of you to do. They should speak up as this is a discussion forum and we all like talkin' about bikes. And you get to consider all the different ideas and chatter enjoyed in this thread. As always, any advice, however well meaning, should be taken with caution.

I'll try to add some value here other than just sounding like I am unproductively just criticizing others: post a picture of yourself on this bike. Just giving numbers for the current fit on bike itself is of little value because those numbers reflect how you currently perch and pedal this bike and if you are way, way off from being correct in the fundamentals on how you ride a sporting drop bar bicycle, just focusing on the bike will reveal nothing. In the bigger picture the true fix would likely involve not just the bike setup but also the rider changing how he rides the bike.

Good luck and find somebody who can help you that actually knows what he/she is doing - metaphorically someone like Ti Designs.
Thank you so much. I admit, though I have been cycling regularly for sixteen years, I have never had a professional fit. Additionally, I've never ridden drop bar bicycles with gears and road geometry for any extended length of time beyond the odd century. I will try to get someone to take a picture of me on it and post it. Meanwhile, I'm grateful for your input and your candor obviously, I know it's frustrating when someone seemingly has no idea what they're doing and you're doing your best remotely to guide them in the right direction without simply saying, "pay the money, get a fit." So thank you again.
Old 06-05-2017, 06:18 PM
It An't Me Babe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FetchPro View Post
Thank you so much. I admit, though I have been cycling regularly for sixteen years, I have never had a professional fit.
Dontworryboudit. We are all cyclists here and we all want to make it better. I encourage you to participate as you are doing now - what you inquire about, now or in the future, is something others are interested in too.

Professional fittings are a fairly new product offering in the bike industry. If you search on this topic, there have been many discussions on what is a very expansive and not all that uniform an opinion on pro bike fitters. My own opinion on bike fitters is caveat emptor because the effectiveness of the fitting is much too variable to who is doing the fitting. There is no professional standard or methodology for the practitioners or the service offering so just paying money is no assurance of competence on their part or of success to your fittings issues on your part.

Quote:
Additionally, I've never ridden drop bar bicycles with gears and road geometry for any extended length of time beyond the odd century. I will try to get someone to take a picture of me on it and post it. Meanwhile, I'm grateful for your input and your candor obviously, I know it's frustrating when someone seemingly has no idea what they're doing and you're doing your best remotely to guide them in the right direction without simply saying, "pay the money, get a fit." So thank you again.
Don't be afraid to think out of the box on your fit - that is why the photo will tell more than can be talked about. Meaning that big changes rather than incremental ones are perfectly fine as long as there is a principle behind why it is done and it is consistent with the goals and results you are trying to achieve. There are many ways to setup a drop bar bicycle along a continuum from sporting casual to racebike EuroPro. But the one thing that is the same across the entire continuum is that the pedal stroke/skill in riding and the setup of the bike itself are complementary man & machine relationships which are defined and/or limited by the other.

Good luck.
Old 06-05-2017, 06:48 PM
bourbon!

Also consider putting the bike on a trainer and getting a side and front view of you pedaling. Much better than a static photo imo

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 06-05-2017, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzalow View Post
Dontworryboudit. We are all cyclists here and we all want to make it better. I encourage you to participate as you are doing now - what you inquire about, now or in the future, is something others are interested in too.

Professional fittings are a fairly new product offering in the bike industry. If you search on this topic, there have been many discussions on what is a very expansive and not all that uniform an opinion on pro bike fitters. My own opinion on bike fitters is caveat emptor because the effectiveness of the fitting is much too variable to who is doing the fitting. There is no professional standard or methodology for the practitioners or the service offering so just paying money is no assurance of competence on their part or of success to your fittings issues on your part.

Don't be afraid to think out of the box on your fit - that is why the photo will tell more than can be talked about. Meaning that big changes rather than incremental ones are perfectly fine as long as there is a principle behind why it is done and it is consistent with the goals and results you are trying to achieve. There are many ways to setup a drop bar bicycle along a continuum from sporting casual to racebike EuroPro. But the one thing that is the same across the entire continuum is that the pedal stroke/skill in riding and the setup of the bike itself are complementary man & machine relationships which are defined and/or limited by the other.

Good luck.
Thanks I'll report back soon.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
Also consider putting the bike on a trainer and getting a side and front view of you pedaling. Much better than a static photo imo

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Very solid suggestion, I'll try to borrow one if I can, thank you.

Tags
conversion, fit, handlebar, serotta, stem