Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-29-2023, 12:16 PM
Vendor

Talk me into, or out of, a Ritchey Logic (Update: 1st review pg 5, 2nd Review pg 8)

So the other thread I made this week, 'Steel: What Am I Missing,' basically told me that, much as I love my be-disc-braked steel bike, I am missing a rim brake steel bike. Also that small builders or custom builders are likely to use thinner, lighter tubing and tubing in general in more creative ways to provide a more enjoyable ride (to put it simply --if you want to pontificate at length about this, the aforementioned other thread might be a better place).
I've been thinking about a Ritchey Road Logic for a year now, and all the wisdom shared in that other thread might be what it takes to nudge me over the edge, but...

...Where does Ritchey fall in the strata of Mass ProducedIndependent/Custom steel frames? Would a Road Logic be another 'overbuilt to pass safety testing' steel frame, or would it be designed within the more liberated paradigm of independent builders?

And, if you've ridden one personally, please tell me what you thought of it, how you used it, and your build details --as much or as little as you like, I'm all ears.

About me: I'm very svelte and am very unlikely to cause any stress related damage to a steel frame, no matter what the thickness and diameter of the tubing is. I value playful handling and a reactive pedaling platform (one of my favorite bikes is the Giant TCR, to give you an idea), but am okay with trading off some twitch and a little stiffness for the sake of stability and ride quality, which I think is par for the course with steel anyway. I'm not quite ready to spend the big bucks on a custom from Kirk, but would like to experience a really nice steel bike until I am. Will be putting Dura Ace C24 wheels or something similar on the bike, with 25mm or 28mm tubeless tires, and the rest of the build will be high-spec lightweight stuff.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Baron Blubba; 09-30-2024 at 03:32 PM.
Old 09-29-2023, 12:22 PM

It is the Pegoretti for the cost conscious buyer. Go for it
Old 09-29-2023, 12:28 PM

I've ridden the road logic disc, and the rim brake steel breakaway, which is basically just the road logic with couplers.

I did not like the disc version. The rim version is pretty good up to about 500 watts, and then it felt a little too flexy for my taste.

Overall, I think the rim version is a very good bike, especially for long distance/ endurance riding, less so for racing, but I do know some people who have raced on them, and getting work fine. A lot of it comes down to personal preference, but I think you will be happy with the room break version, especially if you are a smaller rider.

Last edited by prototoast; 09-29-2023 at 01:01 PM.
Old 09-29-2023, 12:59 PM

Road Logic - go for it.

Love love love my Road Logic. I’m 5’11”/140lbs so not a watt monster by any means, but it holds its own job on spirited group rides, and holds its own on the longer/harder hillier stuff. Mine is set up with DA9000 and HED Ardennes wheels. I’d characterize its ride as “lively” - and liveliest in a quiver of carbon, al., Ti, and other steel bikes. It’s a keeper for sure.
Old 09-29-2023, 01:04 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass_biker View Post
Love love love my Road Logic. I’m 5’11”/140lbs so not a watt monster by any means, but it holds its own job on spirited group rides, and holds its own on the longer/harder hillier stuff. Mine is set up with DA9000 and HED Ardennes wheels. I’d characterize its ride as “lively” - and liveliest in a quiver of carbon, al., Ti, and other steel bikes. It’s a keeper for sure.
You could be my identical twin. Physique wise, at least. I'm sure/I hope your face is much handsomer than mine.
Gosh darn, that's a YAY to push me over the edge.

Prototoast, if I ever do 500 watts, I'm probably shopping for lightbulbs, not riding a bike.
Old 09-29-2023, 01:09 PM

What vintage Ritchey Road Logic are we talking about here?
Old 09-29-2023, 01:16 PM
Vendor

Current. Either 50ty Anniversary or the new color coming out in October. Or whatever someone offers me in a size 53.
Old 09-29-2023, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Blubba View Post
Current. Either 50ty Anniversary or the new color coming out in October. Or whatever someone offers me in a size 53.
Oh I didn't realize they were making rim brake again. I'm personally holding out for one that Tom made himself
Old 09-29-2023, 01:21 PM

I give it about a 98% chance that you enjoy checking out a contemporary Road Logic.

But, to get the full experience of what we've discussed over on the steel thread, you might also want to go for a steel fork (rim brake) model. Which probably means the secondhand market. If you're okay with that, put out a "Want to Buy" here with the characteristics and geometry you're looking for. You might well find something.
Old 09-29-2023, 01:48 PM

I had a previous model (bought around 2017) rim brake Road Logic, the metallic grey model. The newer model has a different fork but the same geometry I think (maybe a little longer rear end - there's improved tire clearance with the new model).

I liked it to a point - wonderfully smooth, a nice bit of spring to it (I was on the 59cm model and 170-175lbs). In many ways it felt like an archetypal steel bike - it had that feel that a lot of people search for. And for the price they're sold for that's quite a steal.

It was a fun bike to ride, up to a certain distance anyway. However I found it far too lively for the rides I was doing so while first thing in the morning it could be fun, like it had a lot of 'pep', that feeling got real old after a 4 hours.

Last edited by Tychom; 09-29-2023 at 01:50 PM.
Old 09-29-2023, 01:56 PM

It seems like a good price for what you get assuming it fits you (it doesn't fit me). A custom steel would start at double that price. It says the material is heat-treated, triple-butted Ritchey Logic steel tubing - TIG welded.

https://ritcheylogic.com/blog/the-ri...bicycle-frames

I would assume it is designed for the average rider and does not use thinner than normal tubes. The weight is a bit lighter than some steel frames and the carbon fork would be much lighter than steel. Looks like they won't be available until October.
Old 09-29-2023, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota View Post
Oh I didn't realize they were making rim brake again. I'm personally holding out for one that Tom made himself
what size do you ride?

re the OP - i've seen some complete for silly cheap all things considered, seems a no brainer to pick one up if you find a deal and try it.

Last edited by br0qn; 09-29-2023 at 02:03 PM.
Old 09-29-2023, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Blubba View Post
You might want to double check the sizing, the geometry is a little wonky. I'm normally a 57/58 and according to stack and reach I'd be on a 55. Not sure if its different in the smaller sizes though, and I'm not sure if this is one of those frames were the stack and reach are deceiving (like my Epic Evo...its the smallest feeling XL I've ever ridden). I probably would want to ride one before buying to be sure of the fit.

Anyways, I love the looks and the idea of the Ritchey Logic, but alas, I've read reviews by people much smaller than me that have mentioned the frame flex and I just can't do a flexy bike. With you being way smaller though, it probably wouldn't be a big deal and the compliance would be welcome.
Old 09-29-2023, 02:14 PM

Buy one of the new ones, and two vintage ones, then tell us all about them. With photos.
Old 09-29-2023, 02:22 PM

I weigh 195 lbs and have not noticed any frame flex on my Ritchey Logic Road. I have heard that the Swiss Cross is flexy but that might just be BS.

Ritcheys are just available as a frame, so even though the frame is reasonably priced, you will probably pay a lot for components to build it up. Ritchey did at one time in recent history sell complete bikes, but not now. Ritchey says that they will have new frames in stock 10/1.

Last edited by MikeD; 09-29-2023 at 02:46 PM.