Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-02-2018, 07:32 AM

Repair Serotta F3 steerer tube?

Can my Meivici steerer tube be repaired?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old 11-02-2018, 07:49 AM

Is that just a small chip at the top, or a crack/de-lamination that extends down the steerer tube? If just a small, non-structural chip, sand it out, touch up with JB Weld (or similar material) and you should be fine. If it's a crack or de-lamination, the fork is toast. Forks are definitely not a place to have any potential for failure.

Greg
Old 11-02-2018, 07:58 AM

Looks like the crack extends 1/2" or more down the tube. I would use a good epoxy and force into the crack. Line the repair with a sheet of cellophane and find a concave item to insert into the tube with the same curvature, or something else that would force the crack closed while clamping for 24 hours.

Last edited by Tony; 11-02-2018 at 08:24 AM.
Old 11-02-2018, 08:31 AM
Everyone's Favorite Droid

I'd cut off the area of the steerer tube that has a crack and sell the fork.

If you want to be reckless and listen to "internetters" use some epoxy. Inject into crack with a small needle, to ensure as much penetration as possible. Then, cover the longest/tallest expander plug you can find (use two if you need to - you want to apply even pressure over the entire damaged area not just one part of it), wrap in cellophane, insert and expand it - make sure you have a stem and/or something clamping it from the outside. Doesn't need to be really tight. Just "kind of" tight.

Let it dry. Then epoxy in thin, long steel sleeve, this will be in there permanently. At least 3 times as long as the initial crack length. There you go. There should be a legal disclaimer in here. something like do this at your own risk, I am in no way responsible for what happens. While i'm at it, no one else in this thread is liable either.

The last thing I'd say is that if the damaged area is longer than your stem is wide (if stack height of stem is 30mm and crack is > 30mm) do not use, your fork is toast.

Last edited by Dude; 11-02-2018 at 08:34 AM.
Old 11-02-2018, 08:39 AM

Dude's suggestion of adding a sleeve is an excellent idea, you should be solid with this repair!
Old 11-02-2018, 05:11 PM

Cut it and sell it, then get a new fork. I would not ride it again

Chewing gum and bailing wire borrowed from a shadetree mechanic on the internet is not the way to go...even if you have a great dental plan
Old 11-02-2018, 05:19 PM

You can cut that if you have enough steering tube showing IMO.
Old 11-02-2018, 06:18 PM

Don't know if that's from overtightening a stem, but either way it's a good reminder to us all: it really only takes a little squeeze to keep the bars straight. Nothing's pushing that hard to twist them around the fork steerer, all the forces on them are in other directions... and if they get knocked sideways in some sort of mishap you'd rather be able to twist them back.

I'll bet you could halve the torque "specifications" on most stems and be fine.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:13 PM

Replace it. It’s a goner.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:31 PM

How's your dental plan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cachagua View Post
Don't know if that's from overtightening a stem, but either way it's a good reminder to us all: it really only takes a little squeeze to keep the bars straight. Nothing's pushing that hard to twist them around the fork steerer, all the forces on them are in other directions... and if they get knocked sideways in some sort of mishap you'd rather be able to twist them back.

I'll bet you could halve the torque "specifications" on most stems and be fine.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
How's your dental plan?

Do you mean something might happen -- something requiring dental work -- from not overtightening your stem?

Last edited by cachagua; 11-02-2018 at 11:43 PM.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dromen View Post
Can my Meivici steerer tube be repaired?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Maybe I'm missing the boat here but the photo sure seems to show a Meivici headtube not a fork steerer. For me the lug is the giveaway.

So inspect the defect closely. If it is a "cosmetic" issue and the HS cups can press in firmly you may be OK. If it extends well down into the headtube that is likely another issue.

Might best be assessed in person by a carbon fabricator and not remotely by internet forumites.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:46 PM

If you look at 12 or 1 oclock, you can see the headtube. The picture is a bit of an optical illusion.
Old 11-03-2018, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Maybe I'm missing the boat here but the photo sure seems to show a Meivici headtube not a fork steerer. For me the lug is the giveaway.

So inspect the defect closely. If it is a "cosmetic" issue and the HS cups can press in firmly you may be OK. If it extends well down into the headtube that is likely another issue.

Might best be assessed in person by a carbon fabricator and not remotely by internet forumites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiclistiCliff View Post
If you look at 12 or 1 oclock, you can see the headtube. The picture is a bit of an optical illusion.

OK, so then I'm seeing the steerer extended above the HT? If so, yes, there's a definite "fracture/split" in the lamination. I'd be very curious what's going on in the wall of that steerer. An expander might bite OK but I'd personally err with the cautious and value my dental work. Forks cost less than my deductible and much less than associated pain and anguish.
Old 11-03-2018, 08:53 AM

From what I can see (magnified) it looks like it can be safely repaired and most likely much stronger then when new. Repairing the inside as mentioned above and laminating a tube inside using epoxy mixed with cabosil will increases the strength of the steerer, three materials acting as one. I've repaired several carbon fiber paddles that were snapped in half using a tube/sleeve in this same manner.
If the OP wants to sent it my way I can repair it for a small fee.