Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-22-2024, 06:43 AM
n - 1

700 x 32 tubeless tires

I’m finally going to give road tubeless a shot. I’ve ordered BTLOS wheels. Now looking for some tires in 700x32 (I may try 30’s eventually as well).

I was thinking of trying these out. I know a few recommended these in the recent “tubed” 700x32 thread.
https://www.theproscloset.com/produc...-700c-tubeless

I do NOT want Conti GP 5k’s. I’ve had two blow outs (both on the front!) so I just can’t trust them.

Any others I should consider? Especially if they come in at a lower price point than the Vittoria’s. I haven’t run 32’s on a road bike so this is just an experiment.

Thanks.
Old 05-22-2024, 06:57 AM

Try the veloflex Corsa EVO TLR.
Old 05-22-2024, 07:05 AM

My LBS recommended the Pirelli P Zero Race to me to replace my GP5k TLs. Supposedly better puncture protection and easier to get on and off the rims with a slight weight penalty. They should be going on the tri bike in the next week for my first event of the season.
Old 05-22-2024, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishrabbi View Post
Try the veloflex Corsa EVO TLR.
These survived the Paris-Roubaix sportif for me. Good tires, good price.
Old 05-22-2024, 07:31 AM

Schwalbe Pro Ones. I love these tires and you can get em cheap(ish) from Excel.

Once you dial your pressure you likely won’t go back. So floaty and fast. For me (at 140lbs) with 32mm P1s I am currently at 44-46r psi on 22mm ID rims .
Old 05-22-2024, 07:33 AM

My new bike came with some low level Fulcrum 500 DB wheels and Vittoria Corsa N.EXT TLR tires. I tried to take one off and struggled with it for a long time using soapy water in hopes of getting one small part of the second side off. I finally gave up and cut the brand new tire off. I've never had to do that before.

I've been using Pirelli P-Zero TLR tires in either the race or cheaper road model for a couple of years now. They haven't been hard to get on or off and wear well. Running hookless rims, the bead doesn't stretch, which is important. I've got no reason to try any other brand.
Old 05-22-2024, 07:43 AM

People generally love the ride quality of the Corsa Pro's but they seem to be highly prone to punctures so I've been put off trying them out myself.

The P-Zeros mentioned might be a good non-GP5k choice.

What is the internal width of the rims you purchased?
Old 05-22-2024, 07:57 AM

While I have no first hand experience with this specific tire, I have had corsa nexts on a road bike and terreno dry's on a gravel bike.

Not sure if it was a tire issue, but both sets, no matter what sealant I used, would not seal any time I got any puncture (muc off, orange seal, stans, some other one I cannot remember). I did not have this issue with any other tubeless tires I've used.

Both sets didn't last worth a damn either. Including rotating them, I MAYBE got 2000 miles out of them before they were shot.

FWIW the next's rode incredibly, but tread falling off in less than 2000 miles was kind of a bummer.

Last edited by sasquatch16v; 05-22-2024 at 08:00 AM.
Old 05-22-2024, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardCosellsPR View Post
Schwalbe Pro Ones. I love these tires and you can get em cheap(ish) from Excel.

Once you dial your pressure you likely won’t go back. So floaty and fast. For me (at 140lbs) with 32mm P1s I am currently at 44-46r psi on 22mm ID rims .
I've ridden 34mm Schwalbe Pro Ones and 30mm GP5000 S TR tubeless on the road recently and have had good luck with both. At 180lbs I ran the 34's at 50psi, and am running the 30's at 60psi but still experimenting a little with them. I'm pretty sure the 30's are faster on the road, but the 34's were more comfortable at the lower pressure. To be honest though, the Schwalbles felt like a noticeably more supple tire in the hand vs the Contis when I had them both off the bike. I think when I wear the Contis out I'll give a 30 or 32mm pair of the Pro Ones a try. Still undecided what the "optimal" tire size is for me.
Old 05-22-2024, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravelreformist View Post
People generally love the ride quality of the Corsa Pro's but they seem to be highly prone to punctures so I've been put off trying them out myself.

The P-Zeros mentioned might be a good non-GP5k choice.

1) Absolutely. Sublime.

2) Absolutely. Don’t look at them funny, or they’ll puncture.
Old 05-22-2024, 08:19 AM
n - 1

Thanks all. So Veloflex, Pirelli, and Schwalbe. I’ve got some researching/reading up to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravelreformist View Post
They’re 24mm internal.

https://btlos.com/all-road-24mm-inne...arbon-wheelset
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4383.jpg (33.8 KB, 189 views)
Old 05-22-2024, 08:41 AM

I just found myself in the same boat. I considered Veloflex but ended up ordering Vittoria Corsa PRO Control Graphene 2.0 TLR from Lordgun. I have the tires in hand, but have yet to install them; hopefully this weekend. They'll be setup with Orange Seal Endurance on Kinlin XR26T rims.
Old 05-22-2024, 08:53 AM

I bought several of these in 32mm and run them on Boyd Altamont wheels. They roll nice and seem durable enough for some gravel shortcuts on rides. Hard to beat the price. My BTLOS wheels are 22mm internal and I use 28mm Panaracer tubeless. I ride the BTLOS wheels when I pretend to be fast but the Altamonts see most of the mileage.

https://www.excelsports.com/speciali...liss-road-tire
Old 05-22-2024, 09:00 AM

I've had real mixed results over the years with most of these tires.

Gp5k TLR- can be exceptionally hard to mount, and I've seen a lot of mixed results in terms of longevity. They're comfortable while they're rolling but prone to sidewall flats.

Schwalbe Pro one - probably the worst tires to mount across the board, tend to have a slightly smaller bead circumference than most other tires. Super comfortable tires, but that's primarily because the tread material is softer than others. That makes them fantastic in terms of grip, but you're going to get comparably less miles out of them.

Vittoria Corsas - as twindad says, if you look at them funny, they will puncture. Do not recommend.

Pirelli - I love the cinturatos for puncture protection, not THE fastest, especially compared to the race models, but I'd take a small hit for the durability. They're still a comfortable tire all things considered and I'd recommend them any day.
Old 05-22-2024, 09:08 AM

What rim did you previously use with the GP5ks? I only ask because I’ve found that earlier “tubeless” rim profiles and bead retention designs (say pre-2019 and alloy) didn’t do the best job of actually retaining the bead. However post 2019 or so and with carbon disc rims the retention has gotten basically foolproof to the point where running 28mm GP5k S TR on a 25mm hooked rim has been flawless.

But as other mentioned, as long as you’re not too worried about an extra -40g and 2-3w of rolling resistance per tire there are a lot of great options nowadays for 32mm tubeless. Even something like a Mondo would probably work well if you want a more durable tire.

The only tire that I would personally stay away from are Tufo/Enve. While they test well and ride nice I’ve had four different sets and all have had chronic puncture issues. At this point I’m convinced they’re games the BRR testing protocol like VW did for diesel