Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-08-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Gotta pay to play..
The costs of service and high quality tires every 3500-5000 miles makes me smile when someone tries to tell me they commute on their sport bike to save $$.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
it aint easy looking rich
Thanks GOB.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 12-08-2018, 12:37 PM

I use a local jewelry. The owner is a Swiss trained watchmaker. I’ve only had mine worked on when I had a problem, a few years back I dropped my watch and broke the crystal. The shop charged me $400 for service/cleaning, new crystal and pressure test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-08-2018, 01:37 PM
PegoNagos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegoready View Post
Wow, I had no idea, you're out $800 every few years for the privilege of wearing a Rolex? You learn something new everyday...
Of everything that I have ever purchased in my life the only things that have ever gained in value are my house and my Rolex.

I bought mine used for $2,500 in 2000. It's worth much more than that now.

I won't service it again until it stops working or if I notice that it's not keeping time properly. I will assume that I will get at least 10 years between services, so $80 a year "for the privilege of wearing a Rolex". Not too bad.

When I graduated from college in 1997 I bought myself a nice Tag Heuer for around $3,000. Current value (best that I can tell) is $500. I still have the watch, but I wear the Rolex daily because it isn't as flashy.
Old 12-08-2018, 01:44 PM

You mean Rolex doesn't offer 84 month leases with free maintenance and oil changes?

Damn it all.

Old 12-08-2018, 06:49 PM

My wife’s Rolex has been appreciating in value at a faster rate than the cost to keep it maintained. I wouldn’t call it an investment, but the cost of ownership is far lower than any fitness tracker or smart watch.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:46 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by pritchet74 View Post
Of everything that I have ever purchased in my life the only things that have ever gained in value are my house and my Rolex.

I won't service it again until it stops working or if I notice that it's not keeping time properly. I will assume that I will get at least 10 years between services, so $80 a year "for the privilege of wearing a Rolex". Not too bad.

When I graduated from college in 1997 I bought myself a nice Tag Heuer for around $3,000. Current value (best that I can tell) is $500. I still have the watch, but I wear the Rolex daily because it isn't as flashy.
I bought my Rolex GMT Master, new, in a jewelry store in a strip mall in Phoenix in 1978 for $654...Prices now anywhere from $6000 or so to almost $10,000..stainless..yowser..used one..
Old 12-09-2018, 08:33 AM

I grew up and lived not that far from the "official" Rolex service center in NYC. You can send it in, have them service it, and they send it back all by registered USPS mail which is very safe (and insured). It usually takes 3-4 weeks which is often faster than anyone else. Call and they will send you a special box and instructions. After I moved to Boston that is what I did recently for one of my watches:

1994 Rolex Explorer II, 40mm, Polar/White dial, red GMT hand
- Serviced at Tourneau NYC in 1999 and took 3 months to get back
- Serviced at Rolex NYC in 2006 and took 3 weeks to get back
- Serviced at Rolex NYC in 2016 and took 4 weeks to send back to Boston
---needed new dial - lume is better in 2016 than 1994
---needed new bezel - all black enamel had worn off - I wear and do not baby my watches - service still under $1000 all-in

2009 Rolex Datejust, 36mm, gold and steel, white dial
(going for service in the spring - 10 years - still running well)

2018 Rolex Submariner Date, 40mm, steel, ceramic bezel

Rolex use to recommend every 5 years but now they say every 10 because the oils they use (and everyone else uses) are that much better now. Many people say wait until it stops working but at that point you may have broken something. Automatic watches are like cars in that they need fresh oil at regular intervals no matter how much you use them. Also, an automatic watch should be wound at least once a month but does not need to be put on a winder (which will just wear out the parts that much faster).

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbnm View Post
If you own a Rolex, where do you send it for service?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat3roadracer View Post
I had service performed at the Mother Ship in NYC. $800 all in, but great communication and the piece looks like new. Rolex recommends service every five years, mine went more than seven.

Last edited by NYCfixie; 12-09-2018 at 08:55 AM.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:53 AM

You simply will never lose money on a Rolex (unless you buy a datejust - they make too many of them) if you keep it serviced. Rolex watches have become exponentially more expensive the past several years as the company has revoked dealerships and taken other measures to battle the grey market selling of their watches.

Also, many people do not know the following:
- Rolex is setup as a non-profit trust since its inception so it does not actually have to make a profit or disclose sales/profit figures which allows them to be even more exclusive.
- Rolex dealer's need to sell 7 to 10 not-as-desirable watches (i.e. gold/steel men's datejust, cellini, small women's watches) for every 1 steel sports watch they are allocated (i.e. submariner, explorer, explorer II). This is the dirty little secret nobody talks about.

I could sell my 1994 Rolex Explorer II (mentioned earlier) and get at least what I paid for it then in "today's dollars" so the true cost would only be what I paid for service over the years. When I purchased it new in 1994, the Polar/White dial was not that popular so not that many were made. I had no idea this would happen but I liked the white dial more than black and lucky for me it is worth more than the black today because Rolex still makes very few steel sports watches with white dials.

As for Old Spud, if he has a Pepsi GMT with a faded bezel and dial, he could probably get more for it than a new one would cost today.

The prices for the correct type of "Antique" Rolex watches in some respects are rising faster than the prices of new Rolex watches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pritchet74 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird View Post
My wife’s Rolex has been appreciating in value at a faster rate than the cost to keep it maintained. I wouldn’t call it an investment, but the cost of ownership is far lower than any fitness tracker or smart watch.
Quote:
I bought my Rolex GMT Master, new, in a jewelry store in a strip mall in Phoenix in 1978 for $654...Prices now anywhere from $6000 or so to almost $10,000..stainless..yowser..used one..

Last edited by NYCfixie; 12-09-2018 at 08:56 AM.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:56 AM

Rolex certified Master Watchmaker in Germany.
My wife's Bucherer stopped working years ago, the quote she got from the US distributor was ridiculous, something like $500 just for sending it in and providing a quote.
Guy in my hometown in Germany fixed it and also serviced my Explorer II, all together for $400 and a 3 day turnaround.
Old 12-09-2018, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsinill View Post
Rolex certified Master Watchmaker in Germany.
My wife's Bucherer stopped working years ago, the quote she got from the US distributor was ridiculous, something like $500 just for sending it in and providing a quote.
Guy in my hometown in Germany fixed it and also serviced my Explorer II, all together for $400 and a 3 day turnaround.
Not a great comparison without all details. Most watchmakers do not replace parts when servicing unless absolutely necessary. Rolex service center (not talking about dealers) replaces any part needed to make the watch as-new which is why they will always be more expensive.
Old 12-09-2018, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
Not a great comparison without all details. Most watchmakers do not replace parts when servicing unless absolutely necessary. Rolex service center (not talking about dealers) replaces any part needed to make the watch as-new which is why they will always be more expensive.
Well, I am sure the watchmaker would have told me if there had been a need to replace any parts. It would then have been up to me to decide who should replace them.
Personally, I also don't really see the need to have any parts replaced just to make it "as-new". Not sure I would consider what you describe as "service", but maybe I am off in my terminology...
Old 12-09-2018, 09:55 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post

As for Old Spud, if he has a Pepsi GMT with a faded bezel and dial, he could probably get more for it than a new one would cost today.
And, I do...but gonna give to one of my kids when I go to the other side.

Yowser..new one is $9000+...
Old 12-09-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
And, I do...but gonna give to one of my kids when I go to the other side.

Yowser..new one is $9000+...
"Used" one is....

$9250 at Crown and Caliber (for your type):
ROLEX GMT-MASTER II "PEPSI" BEZEL 16710 WATCH

It is all about the faded bezel...

And the older GMT Master Pepsi at $10,500 is worth even more...

ROLEX GMT-MASTER "PEPSI" BEZEL SPIDER DIAL 16750 WATCH

Last edited by NYCfixie; 12-09-2018 at 10:15 AM.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:08 AM
Proud Grandpa

[QUOTE=NYCfixie;2466748]"Used" one is....

$9250 at Crown and Caliber (for your type):
ROLEX GMT-MASTER II "PEPSI" BEZEL 16710 WATCH

It is all about the faded bezel...
wow..mine is faded but even after 40years, not that faded..and GMT Master I...Note it's still set on 'Zulu' time..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3844.JPG (137.3 KB, 114 views)

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 12-11-2018 at 06:26 AM.