Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-08-2018, 02:58 PM

[QUOTE=Spaghetti Legs;2466211]Somewhat pedantic of me but I had some time and thought I would post some video proof of smooth Syncro shifting. I don’t think people should be discouraged from trying it out.

I agree that it can work well. It's just likely to take more effort to get right than 6208 or 7400.
Old 12-08-2018, 06:31 PM

if the op is going friction (like a real man would do :P), dont go campy, just do shimano, suntour or simplex... the suntour cyclone friction/sis are just fantastic.
Old 12-09-2018, 09:25 AM
Head to Ned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
I also have a vintage campy set up with a half step triple. 53-42-30 with a DA 12-30 freewheel.
Using a 7 speed super record RD with a soma long cage mod

That sir is no half-step!
A half-step (with granny) is exactly what it sounds like, a front shift produces a gear change half way between a single rear shift.(outer two chainrings). Almost all modern cassettes are not suitable.
Here's an example;
48-44-28 up front. 14-17-20-24-28-34 out back. These work extremely well for touring bikes as it gives you nice close gearing steps where needed and big steps when the pavement turns up!
(looking again at the picture it sure looks more like a 48t in the second position which would be a half-step)

Last edited by witcombusa; 12-09-2018 at 11:19 AM.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:06 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
if the op is going friction (like a real man would do :P), dont go campy, just do shimano, suntour or simplex... the suntour cyclone friction/sis are just fantastic.
Disagree(what a surprise)..first, shimano never made a true 'retro-friction' shifter..as in, a wee clutch so 'easy aft, harder forward'..so it didn't move during frame flex.
Secord, altho Suntour are nice and with wide enough cog spacing and not a too wide chain, those wee 'ratchet's are fine but if the cogs are close-ish together(like a Suntour Ultra 6 or 7s) and the chain is wide-ish, like a 5/6/7s chain, you might get some noise/rub that you can't get 'out.
And Simplex..they either work or they are broken. PLUS pretty small RH barrel..use with a more modern rear der, like just about anything modern(like SunTour Superbe Pro)and a 7s cogset/FW and the RH shift will be all the way aft when in lowest gear.

So..just use CRecord RetroFriction..small or big barrel..not hard to find..I have 3-4 sets.