Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-30-2018, 12:00 PM
formerly Landshark_98

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfo1 View Post
. But, in reading about the suggested Hampsten line, (Crumpton) is advising on the carbon bikes.
Yep Steve and Peter North, formerly of Mad Fiber wheels spent a lot of time with learning about joining and wrapping the tubes.

Big differences I think are that (1) Nick has been building these frames for a long, long time so he has that experience edge and (2) Nick now produces his own tubesets to his specs whereas Hampsten (afaik) is still using Enve produced tubesets.
Old 11-30-2018, 02:16 PM

Bastion Cycles, from Australia.
Old 11-30-2018, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tompho View Post
Bastion Cycles, from Australia.
Are awesome looking bikes, but double what he's looking to pay.
Old 11-30-2018, 02:35 PM
bourbon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk007 View Post
- all 60+ frames, all custom -
wow!
Old 11-30-2018, 02:37 PM
bourbon!

Hot bike! Bad font choice. blarg

Quote:
Old 11-30-2018, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
wow!
.. Kirk007 meant "all 60cm+ bikes.." - he's been a prolific buyer, but not that prolific
Old 11-30-2018, 03:32 PM
formerly Landshark_98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
.. Kirk007 meant "all 60cm+ bikes.." - he's been a prolific buyer, but not that prolific
grazie. 60 - hmmmm.
Old 11-30-2018, 04:21 PM
bourbon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
ah. got it.

I was super impressed but also wondering where someone got the time to have 60 customs built and ridden
Old 11-30-2018, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post
I don't know what Mr. Crumpton charges for a bike but if I were in the market he'd be the first guy I call.

dave
Ya. Saw his at NAHBS.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:19 PM

Altum was nice but the front end didn’t seem to be very stiff. I could feet it flex out of the saddle and I am no masher.

Maybe I am resigned to think that all bikes with head tubes over 200mm allow flex, and the steerer is the main culprit. Unless the steerer is reinforced it’s going to flex (at that long of a length). My five year old TCR with a 185mm heat tube (and 15mm hs cap and 30mm spacers) is solid as a rock. No shimmy, no flex.

The Altum has a brand name but it’s just a mold frame coming out of Taiwan (which I have no issue with). Lots of similar frames coming out of Giant factory costing a lot less. Custom Parlee; ~$9k. ISYN!

Need to investigate tube to tube custom on a budget.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Altum was nice but the front end didn’t seem to be very stiff. I could feet it flex out of the saddle and I am no masher.

Maybe I am resigned to think that all bikes with head tubes over 200mm allow flex, and the steerer is the main culprit. Unless the steerer is reinforced it’s going to flex (at that long of a length). My five year old TCR with a 185mm heat tube (and 15mm hs cap and 30mm spacers) is solid as a rock. No shimmy, no flex.

The Altum has a brand name but it’s just a mold frame coming out of Taiwan (which I have no issue with). Lots of similar frames coming out of Giant factory costing a lot less. Custom Parlee; ~$9k. ISYN!

Need to investigate tube to tube custom on a budget.
For a tall rider who really wants stiff, if I were building for you, I'd probably recommend a disc road build based around a Columbus or Enve gravel fork. They have about 15mm extra axle-to-crown, which will allow that much more to come off of the head tube. Plus, since they're built for gravel riding, they're made beefier than the comparable road forks. Pair that with a 44mm head tube, 2" down tube, and 1.5" sloping top tube and I'd all but guarantee you wouldn't notice any flex.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:42 PM

Agree on the 44mm HT. There must be road disc fork with some kind of reinforced steerer or more taper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
For a tall rider who really wants stiff, if I were building for you, I'd probably recommend a disc road build based around a Columbus or Enve gravel fork. They have about 15mm extra axle-to-crown, which will allow that much more to come off of the head tube. Plus, since they're built for gravel riding, they're made beefier than the comparable road forks. Pair that with a 44mm head tube, 2" down tube, and 1.5" sloping top tube and I'd all but guarantee you wouldn't notice any flex.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:50 PM
formerly Landshark_98

Geez, I wouldn't come to that conclusion on headtube length. As was explained to me, one of the reasons Dario Pegoretti when with extended headtube/dropped top tubes on his frame is his belief that the extended headtube did a better job of supporting the steerer tube. But I'm not sure i'd put the suspicion on the steerer tube either. My Peg is over 22cm headtube with straight 1 1/8 carbon steerer on the fork and its not soft or flexy. Same for my Hampsten carbon with tapered fork, etc., etc. What about the handlebars or stem or flex in the wheels on the bikes your are testing?

I'm 6'3" 215 on an average day, former college heavy weight 8 rower, and I'm not as strong now as I was then but all my bikes have 20cm + headtubes and 300-310mm steerer tubes of various sorts - steel, carbon, tapered carbon I can't say that I've even experience noticeable flex from the headtubes or steerer. Not saying it doesn't happen but its not a given on a large bike.

I have no idea how all the factory bikes you are trying are configured but I'd give consideration that there may be more to front end flex/softness than the suspects you're keyed into.

BTW Crumpton, Hampsten and I believe Landshark are all tube to tube construction if that helps. Maybe call some of these guys up and have a chat. They're all straight shooters.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Kirk007; 12-01-2018 at 01:16 AM.
Old 12-01-2018, 10:27 AM

So, I know Hern's work was mentioned before, and I recalled he made a rather large frame sometime this past fall, and I found some pictures of it on his Instagram feed. If memory serves, it's the biggest he's ever built.

Here's the finished product: https://www.instagram.com/p/BmW8W8hheko/
Old 12-01-2018, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk007 View Post
BTW Crumpton, Hampsten and I believe Landshark are all tube to tube construction if that helps. Maybe call some of these guys up and have a chat. They're all straight shooters.
Can't go wrong with any of the above folks mentioned.

Tier one SMEs with fit and frames, and simply nice and good peeps

Last edited by enr1co; 08-10-2019 at 06:05 PM.