Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-11-2018, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Pines View Post
I have the same pink frame, nanos (40) fit with room to spare. Limit is the drive side chainstay. I have compass Steilacoom 38s now and they have lots of space.

Got a wheel set with 38mm simworks slicks and they are great, basically the gravelking but with more sidewall protection.
Hey thanks for info!!!

Do you by chance have link that could direct me to the "slicks" you speak of ? My searches are coming up with multiple sim slicks.......thanks.
Old 11-11-2018, 04:43 AM

Crockett

I have the same bike with 42 Clements (I know they changed the name) but I could go wider. Obviously, I have to open up the brakes to get them in but not sure why you were told they only fit 38’s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
Sorry. But seeking knowledge in area I'm not too familiar with and my "searches" have resulted in MORE questions so please bear with me....

Got myself a 'legit' crossbike. I say legit because prior cx contraption was a Specialized Tricross from 1999 which was neither gravel bike or CX.....but it could fit fatty 700x43 tires.

I "saw the light" with regard to fat tires and sold the Tricross and got myself rim brake Crockett.(yay) The guy that sold it to me said I wouldn't be able to fit anything bigger than 700x38 cause it was "true cx 'race'" bike (uhhhh okaaayy) so I'm in market for 700x38 tire that is super durable and will see 50% hard-packed dirt (canal), 30% rough road, and 20% gravel.

This will also be my go to winter and commuting bike so I'm leaning more towards durability than performance.

Lastly....what about tubeless? The Tricross had tubless 700x43 Gravelkings and holy cow it was so supple and nice at 50 PSI......especially when commuting with 15 lb backpack. Will I lose some of that suppleness if I go with a tire that requires inter tube?

Sorry for being annoying and asking YET another tire question.

Shutting up now.
Old 11-11-2018, 07:37 AM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetoclimb View Post
Look at the offerings from WTB.
It's funny, I've been reading lots of "What Tire Should I Use?" threads recently because I figure I'll need to replace the tires that came on the CAADX I got this year...which are WTB Riddlers, 37c. Meanwhile, I've got a couple thousand miles on them already and they show no signs of wear or needing replacement any time soon, and I have yet to take them on a surface where they didn't seem perfectly adequate: hard-pack, loose gravel, gnarly singletrack, pavement, etc.

Perhaps my next set of tires will be another pair of WTB Riddlers?

Last edited by Bob Ross; 11-14-2018 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Oops, they're 37 not 38.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:16 AM

I've ridden all over Ft McDowell on canal roads, dirt roads, and the Pemberton Trail on 35mm Gravel Kings. I think 38's might be better but that's what I was riding earlier this year. Set up tubeless and I picked up a few goatheads but didn't give me a flat. I'm currently using Stan's but as soon as that runs out, I'm switching to Orange Seal. Not many people around here have good things to say about Stan's in this environment.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
Hey thanks for info!!!

Do you by chance have link that could direct me to the "slicks" you speak of ? My searches are coming up with multiple sim slicks.......thanks.
Sorry late reply but these: https://www.sim.works/products/volummy-tire-700x38c
Old 12-09-2018, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Pines View Post
Perfect thanks! And you say these are fairly durable eh?

My Bontrager CX0's that came with bike finally gave up ghost. Unfortunately it happened Friday night and I was desperate to take "that" particular bike on group ride. So quick trip to Performance and I got some Gotham ST 700x35 "all arounder" tires.............HOLY CRAP what a mistake. I kinda sorta felt like I knew what I was getting into but thought running them at 50-60 would help with the "ride"..........boy was I wrong.

To add insult to injury I opted for some "thornless tubes" and it's one of the harshest setups I've ever ridden.

Guess I'm back to either Gravelkings or these Sim Works.