Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-25-2018, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakkalugi View Post
I leave mine in the crockpot for about 5 minutes, until it stops bubbling. I just use plain old Gulf Wax and it’s smooth and quiet (and best of all, no marks on fingers, leg, car, child, cat, etc). No idea if the 45 minutes you mention has an impact. Is the quick link properly seated and locked? FWIW, my chains are all KMC, in 9, 10, and 11 speed and they all run silent with wax.
This, I leave it till it stops bubbling. Usually a little longer since I’m not going to sit there and watch the chain in the crock pot. The lack of grease marks is my only real reason why I don’t just lube on the bike.
Old 08-25-2018, 08:08 AM
PegoNagos

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Really? Subjectively, is this 'chore' 'worth' any added performance or durability gains?
I have most of my bikes at my office, along with all of my tools & workstand so I do my waxing at the office as well - that way the process is going on while I am getting work done. It certainly takes more time than just putting lube on the chain, but for me the HUGE benefit of waxing is that the chain is never dirty. A couple of times a week I drive to where I am going to ride and the bike gets put in the backseat of the car - I never have to worry about a chain or chainrings putting grease stains anywhere.

Also, theoretically this process makes the chain last longer too.
Old 08-26-2018, 02:24 AM

If you must, wax your legs. Not your chain. [IMHO]
Old 08-26-2018, 06:33 AM

I think most of us have done the wax thing at one time or another, and decided it doesn't work very well, and for sure offers no improvements.
Old 08-26-2018, 07:40 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
I think most of us have done the wax thing at one time or another, and decided it doesn't work very well, and for sure offers no improvements.
I used to wax..stuff(red) came in a can, put chain on top, can in an inch or so of water in frying pan..onto stove..wax melted(became clear)..sat in there..then pick it up, onto a newspaper..dried..put on, flung wax everywhere..was nice for about a ride or 2..then..not worth it to me..YMMV and all that.
Old 08-26-2018, 02:49 PM
Lanterne rouge

Quote:
So, I ran NFS for one ride yesterday. 60 miles and it rode great but got real dirty. Just needed a wipe. I am very sparing with lube so it was right. Cleaned the new chain in OMS and waxed with Molten. I reinstall them hot and ride untill cool. About 5 minutes. Rode today and it was just as silent and stayed very clean. No wax mess or any of that business. I just like the way everything stays so clean and tidy. No hassle to wax either. I always do two chains and rotate them when rewaxing is needed. About 4-500 miles. They last a long time.
To each their own though.
Old 08-26-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
yeah, went thru a waxing phase in the early 80s...lotta hassle for extremely poor results.

compared to the 3 min it takes to apply a wet lube and the 10 seconds to wipe the chain between rides, wax is a major time investment fail.
Old 08-26-2018, 03:22 PM

Or use a dry lube and apply it 24hrs before you ride to let the evaporant to work.
Old 08-26-2018, 07:35 PM

Wax with ptfe and mso2. Clean multiple times, then 5 min and hang. Tatoo free chain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-09-2018, 09:38 AM

Thought I'd follow up on this now that it has been a few months...

So, first of all, my original issue was simply needing to take the bike for a 15 minute ride, as opposed to just spinning the cranks on the work stand.

I now love the stuff. I do not find it takes me any real time to do the waxing, as its not like I have to sit there watching it. Turn on the pot in my garage with the chain in it, set a timer for an hour and go do something else. Stir it around for a few minutes and go do something else for 15 minutes, then take it out and hang it up. Re-install on bike whenever I have a spare few minutes. Besides, I enjoy working on my bike gear, so I like the process.

The fact that it tests fast is a nice benefit, but my real love for it is how clean the chain is. Drivetrain stays clean, I can handle the chain (removing/installing bike onto trainer, etc) and get nothing at all on my hands.

I use the molten speed wax, which I guess is more expensive than gulf wax, but a $20 bag is still going strong in my crockpot.
Old 12-09-2018, 01:55 PM

I was hooked on waxing for a couple o years

then decided to try the bottle of NFS I had bought sometime ago. it is really good sh$t.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy00 View Post
Thought I'd follow up on this now that it has been a few months...

So, first of all, my original issue was simply needing to take the bike for a 15 minute ride, as opposed to just spinning the cranks on the work stand.

I now love the stuff. I do not find it takes me any real time to do the waxing, as its not like I have to sit there watching it. Turn on the pot in my garage with the chain in it, set a timer for an hour and go do something else. Stir it around for a few minutes and go do something else for 15 minutes, then take it out and hang it up. Re-install on bike whenever I have a spare few minutes. Besides, I enjoy working on my bike gear, so I like the process.

The fact that it tests fast is a nice benefit, but my real love for it is how clean the chain is. Drivetrain stays clean, I can handle the chain (removing/installing bike onto trainer, etc) and get nothing at all on my hands.

I use the molten speed wax, which I guess is more expensive than gulf wax, but a $20 bag is still going strong in my crockpot.
Old 12-09-2018, 05:21 PM

Solvent for wax

Does anyone know what the best solvent/softener for wax is?
I know that Wendwax sells it- But I don't know what it is and my chemistry is weak.
I am sure I can but the proper stuff in a huge jug at the hardware store- I just don't know what to buy.

I am in the camp of wax for offroad- I can keep my road bike clean enough and don't mind doing it.
Mtb and gravel bike sounds and feel grindy after 1 hour in dry conditions.
Old 12-09-2018, 05:36 PM

A couple years ago I waxed my chains and was very happy with the results.
I used an old crock pot and paraffin. The wax job lasted ~200 miles, so I had a rotation of 3 chains going on. Old one comes off, goes in crock pot. New one goes on, and I have one on deck just in case.

I stopped because I wanted to try other options. Next season I'll probably go back to waxed chains for certain races, however. It's a difference I can definitely feel.
Old 12-09-2018, 05:54 PM

I use MSW on all my chains.

I followed their video on how to clean a chain for waxing

I leave my chain in the crockpot for an hr and turn it off until it hits 190F/87C then I'll take it out and let it hang dry.

Once you put the chain back on, it will be rough until you spin it for a bit and it will run smooth.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H. View Post
Does anyone know what the best solvent/softener for wax is?
I know that Wendwax sells it- But I don't know what it is and my chemistry is weak.
I am sure I can but the proper stuff in a huge jug at the hardware store- I just don't know what to buy.

I am in the camp of wax for offroad- I can keep my road bike clean enough and don't mind doing it.
Mtb and gravel bike sounds and feel grindy after 1 hour in dry conditions.
Can't tell you what's the best, but naptha is faster drying than mineral spirits and will dissolve paraffin. If you take a 4 ounce by weight block of paraffin and cut it into 1 ounce pieces, it takes 6-7 ounces of naptha to dissolve the paraffin. I read on another site that heptane is another solvent used in wax based dry lubes.

Last edited by Dave; 12-09-2018 at 08:00 PM.