Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-04-2020, 08:16 PM

The R30 stuff definitely uses different rings, as the 30mm spindle is larger than the opening at the center of the square taper VBC rings. No idea how they differ otherwise.
Old 06-04-2020, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
The R30 stuff definitely uses different rings, as the 30mm spindle is larger than the opening at the center of the square taper VBC rings. No idea how they differ otherwise.
Yeah, I think you’re right, I stand corrected. Still begs the question of why one set can shift so well, and the other, well, yeah... Makes me wonder what the VBC was really optimized for?
Old 06-04-2020, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
Makes me wonder what the VBC was really optimized for?
The whole idea sorta suggests it wasn't "optimized" for any specific configuration at all, right? If it were they'd sell paired rings I'd think.
Old 06-04-2020, 09:10 PM

White Industries are very helpful in general and may just be managing expectations ie it will not shift perfectly.

Square taper vbc works well for me and I am happy to trade some perfection in shifting to get a 46/28 on the front.
Old 06-04-2020, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy340 View Post
White Industries are very helpful in general and may just be managing expectations ie it will not shift perfectly.

Square taper vbc works well for me and I am happy to trade some perfection in shifting to get a 46/28 on the front.
Fair enough. My only beef is going back and forth from ring to ring. It is what it is I suppose.
Old 06-04-2020, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy340 View Post
Why go through the R&D and not come out with something that shifts beautifully every time? I can’t wrap my head around charging a premium price for a product that work pretty well most of the time, for some people. I’m not trying to bash WI at all. I love them and their products. I just don’t get putting a product out to market that isn’t even optimized for 1 platform.
Old 06-04-2020, 09:40 PM

This crank has been out for ages, maybe it shifted better with, like, 9 speed? Wider chain, and all

Last edited by jtbadge; 06-04-2020 at 10:08 PM.
Old 06-04-2020, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
Why go through the R&D and not come out with something that shifts beautifully every time? I can’t wrap my head around charging a premium price for a product that work pretty well most of the time, for some people. I’m not trying to bash WI at all. I love them and their products. I just don’t get putting a product out to market that isn’t even optimized for 1 platform.
Because that is the nature of an "all the possible combos" system. You can't buy a Shimano, SRAM, or Campagnolo crankset in any number of chainring combinations. They have done the design and testing and the results are specific combos that shift very well because they have ramps and pins to lift and drop the chain to achieve this. This is why there is only one correct orientation for each ring in these modern chainring combos.
Old 06-04-2020, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
This crank has been out for ages, maybe it shifter better with, like, 9 speed? Wider chain, and all

That’s totally what I was thinking as well. Has to be. 9 and 10 are probably the sweet spot for best overall shifting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-04-2020, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
Because that is the nature of an "all the possible combos" system. You can't buy a Shimano, SRAM, or Campagnolo crankset in any number of chainring combinations. They have done the design and testing and the results are specific combos that shift very well because they have ramps and pins to lift and drop the chain to achieve this. This is why there is only one correct orientation for each ring in these modern chainring combos.

You’re absolutely right. I think I just needed to hear a few voices of reason. I think my expectations were a bit higher than what the rings were designed to offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-04-2020, 11:59 PM

interesting. I have the R30s with sram 11 sp that work beautifully and was planning the G30 with a campy build. i guess I'll see what happens
Old 06-05-2020, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
interesting. I have the R30s with sram 11 sp that work beautifully and was planning the G30 with a campy build. i guess I'll see what happens
Interesting indeed. 68mm bb shell? Do you recall what spindle length you’re running?
Old 06-05-2020, 05:31 AM
Riding Along

Perhaps it's your FD. Something to do with the yaw design that does not throw the chain down fast enough or far enough to land on the teeth of the small ring and not the gap.
Old 06-05-2020, 05:48 AM
aka RAEKWON

I had these with campy and they shifted fine, not spetacular but fine. At the time there was not a lot of crank choices but plenty out there now and specially when absolute black now makes sub compact rings for 5 bolt cranks.

As far is the issue, I remember this happening once in a while, the 11 speed chain fell in btw the rings, tbh I do not remember how I fixed it but remember adjusting the FD until it stoped doing it
Old 06-05-2020, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
Perhaps it's your FD. Something to do with the yaw design that does not throw the chain down fast enough or far enough to land on the teeth of the small ring and not the gap.
That’s what I was thinking as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
I had these with campy and they shifted fine, not spetacular but fine. At the time there was not a lot of crank choices but plenty out there now and specially when absolute black now makes sub compact rings for 5 bolt cranks.

As far is the issue, I remember this happening once in a while, the 11 speed chain fell in btw the rings, tbh I do not remember how I fixed it but remember adjusting the FD until it stoped doing it
I may look into those Absolute Black sub compact rings. 48/32 in a 110? Now we’re talking!

Tags
white industries