Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-03-2020, 03:27 PM

I live in San Francisco. Pretty much all of my friends and I ride at least 28mm tires - the roads aren't great and often times a road ride hops on some dirt for a minute so its nice to have that volume.
Old 06-03-2020, 04:26 PM

You should just give him your bike. Then you'd have a reason to get yourself a new bike. eezy peezy
Old 06-03-2020, 07:13 PM

I only have one road bike with disc brakes and it's way too small for him!

Good idea though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterCogset View Post
You should just give him your bike. Then you'd have a reason to get yourself a new bike. eezy peezy
Old 06-03-2020, 07:19 PM

Thanks, all helpful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by livesadventure View Post
I live in San Francisco. Pretty much all of my friends and I ride at least 28mm tires - the roads aren't great and often times a road ride hops on some dirt for a minute so its nice to have that volume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltwtsculler91 View Post
As someone who also has had 2 Emonda ALR's now, if it fits him well, who not get an Emonda SLR disc. In our group they're everyone's favorite production bike, are light and ride great while clearing a decent tire. Another option to check on would be a Parlee Altum, which is quite similar and also have a great ride, but a little more limited tire clearance on the disc version.

Personally though, when I was in his spot, I went with a No22. A ti bike would be perfect out in San Francisco with some of the damp foggy mornings, and the ride is sublime.

Also, for the tire clearance comments on the Emonda ALR:
- first gen (standard mount rim brakes) would easily clear a "big" 28mm tire in the rear and JUST clear it at the front brake bridge (SRAM Force brakes).
- second gen (direct mount rim brakes) I've fit an actual measured 31mm tire in there no real issue on either end and ridden them a decent bit. It was a little tighter than I'd prefer under the lowest point of the rear brake, and occasionally a small rock would stick. I've since gone to 28s that measure around 29.5mm and it works wonderfully.
Old 06-03-2020, 07:34 PM

What are comparable bikes to the Trek Emonda SLR Disc that will take 32mm tires, or nearly so?
What about Cannondale Supersix Evo?
Are there comparable models by Specialized, BMC, Giant, etc.?

I'm a fairly typical Paceliner - old, likes metal bikes, owns little carbon, etc. So the world of production road bikes is not my wheelhouse. I'm trying to do something here similar to what i did when i went shopping for a FS 29er four years ago - I asked a lot of questions from knowledgeable folks, including here, and narrowed my search to trail models from Ibis, Pivot, and Intense. That gave me enough choices to find a great bike used within a few weeks.

I'm also completely open to being pointed to a used boutique bike, but not going the custom bike route here. I don't have a budget number yet, but I'm thinking he should be able to get something pretty nice for $2K - sound reasonable? Doesn't have to be the highest end in the model line-up.
Old 06-04-2020, 01:23 PM

Thought I would bump one more time to see if I get other suggestions. Thanks
Old 06-04-2020, 01:28 PM

I’m not up to date on geo or anything but why not a Domane? I think it fits 38s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-04-2020, 01:34 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livesadventure View Post
I must have dozed off and missed the memo.....I am the only one left on the planet still riding 23's?
Old 06-04-2020, 02:11 PM

Yes, and rim brakes

My Nagasawa barely fits a 23 in the front, so I ride 'em too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
I must have dozed off and missed the memo.....I am the only one left on the planet still riding 23's?
Old 06-04-2020, 03:09 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Yes, and rim brakes

My Nagasawa barely fits a 23 in the front, so I ride 'em too!
you and me brother!
Old 06-04-2020, 03:39 PM

Quote:
What are comparable bikes to the Trek Emonda SLR Disc that will take 32mm tires, or nearly so?
What about Cannondale Supersix Evo?
Are there comparable models by Specialized, BMC, Giant, etc.?

I'm also completely open to being pointed to a used boutique bike, but not going the custom bike route here. I don't have a budget number yet, but I'm thinking he should be able to get something pretty nice for $2K - sound reasonable? Doesn't have to be the highest end in the model line-up.
Chopping this to answer your questions as all of these companies have their "climbing" or traditional "race" type of bike, which come in different variants (typically 2-3 frame types depending on grade of carbon/weight) and components. Most will clear 32mm tires in latest versions.
Trek Emonda, Cannondale SuperSix Evo, BMC TeamMachine, Giant TCR, Specialized Tarmac would be the models you're looking at.

To really get an upgrade from an Emonda ALR (with 105 rim they were around 1700, now 2k with Disc), you'd be looking at a budget of around 3000-3500 to get a mid level carbon bike with Ultegra. Given the $$ I'd also take a hard look at the Parlee Altum as it comes in a few dollars more for a frame that plays more like the higher end carbon frames (Trek SLR spec, Specialized SWorks, Cannondale HiMod).
Old 06-04-2020, 03:49 PM

Cool, thanks.

Are the disc versions too new to appear much on the used market?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltwtsculler91 View Post
Chopping this to answer your questions as all of these companies have their "climbing" or traditional "race" type of bike, which come in different variants (typically 2-3 frame types depending on grade of carbon/weight) and components. Most will clear 32mm tires in latest versions.
Trek Emonda, Cannondale SuperSix Evo, BMC TeamMachine, Giant TCR, Specialized Tarmac would be the models you're looking at.

To really get an upgrade from an Emonda ALR (with 105 rim they were around 1700, now 2k with Disc), you'd be looking at a budget of around 3000-3500 to get a mid level carbon bike with Ultegra. Given the $$ I'd also take a hard look at the Parlee Altum as it comes in a few dollars more for a frame that plays more like the higher end carbon frames (Trek SLR spec, Specialized SWorks, Cannondale HiMod).
Old 06-04-2020, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Cool, thanks.

Are the disc versions too new to appear much on the used market?
i just saw the previous post and yes all the majors will have similar specs to each others counterpart bike. I think $2K is doable +/- 10%

60 cm Emonda he has now or a 62?

Size will be a harder find of course.

Last edited by charliedid; 06-04-2020 at 05:14 PM.
Old 06-04-2020, 05:48 PM

It's a 60 cm he's riding now. I think he's 6' 2" so this seemed in the ballpark to me. Looks like he's shipping it east soon, so I'll see it and him by the end of this month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
i just saw the previous post and yes all the majors will have similar specs to each others counterpart bike. I think $2K is doable +/- 10%

60 cm Emonda he has now or a 62?

Size will be a harder find of course.