Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-07-2021, 07:30 AM

'Reckless' Crash kills cyclist in Burlington County, NJ

https://dailyvoice.com/new-jersey/ha...jersey/821401/
Looks like a typical Sunday club ride but as one of the riders said, "There were 19 of us out enjoying a day of road cycling as we have all done many times before. Only 18 of us made it home on this day."
Condolences to friends and family.
Old 12-07-2021, 07:41 AM
Administrator

terrible news.

young male drivers with a fresh drivers license and a powerful car are sometimes just too senselessly aggressive and dangerously reckless behind the wheel. Looking back, I know I was at a young age and it's a good reminder that we need to teach our kids how important it is keep that in check.

rest in peace to this cyclist and condolences to her family and friends. It must be very difficult for her riding pals to get back on the road after seeing something so violent and tragic up close. very sad.
Old 12-07-2021, 10:51 PM

I used to ride regularly with Julie. I also know at least half of the other riders who were out with her on the ride. She belonged to a bicycle club in NJ that I was a founding member of before moving west. She was a strong rider and most definitely not a loose cannon, so I really cannot believe there can be any question of contributory negligence. She had two children, one was/is in med school and the other was doing very well in a master's program. One of the other cyclists on the ride has already said that was their last ride (apart fromany memorial ride)
Old 12-08-2021, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
terrible news.

young male drivers with a fresh drivers license and a powerful car are sometimes just too senselessly aggressive and dangerously reckless behind the wheel.
Although that's certainly true, the kind of reckless stupidity exhibited by the driver is by no means exclusive to that demographic. There's a knee jerk "if something in my way, pass" and considerations like being on a blind curve or the crest of a hill are irrelevant.

There's a road I ride on regularly (no choice, only so many ways out of my small town) with a short, steepish hill on it. On the outbound leg the approach is fairly straight. I use a mirror and check my six to see if anything is coming, if so, I pull over and wait because the road is narrow and there's no room whatsoever for three vehicles (me and two cars) and I don't want to risk it.

On the inbound leg, the hill is preceded by a curve so I can't see if anything is coming. When I reach the hill I "take the lane" if there's a car coming from behind but this doesn't stop people from passing me.

Recently, I was on this stretch, a car came from behind. I was fully in the lane, left of the center of my lane. The car passed anyway. Surprise! A car was cresting the hill coming the other way - who'd have thought? The car passing me literally ran it off the road (fortunately, there's just enough room to avoid a head-on collision). i also dove for the ditch and narrowly avoided crashing.

I crested the hill and saw the car turn. Where did they go? Into an assisted living facility right at the bottom of the hill. I pulled into the parking lot and confronted the driver: a mid-30's nurse that worked at the facility. I was polite but asked several questions of the form "what in the world were you thinking", "was getting here 5 seconds earlier worth my life and yours", etc.

Doubt it had any effect at all.

The event in the article is so sad. A persons life ended for no reason at all other than impatience.
Old 12-08-2021, 10:22 AM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone View Post
"…There's a knee jerk 'if something in my way, pass' and considerations like being on a blind curve or the crest of a hill are irrelevant…"
Exactly. Totally agree.
This is a mystifying phenomenon to me.

Contemporary drivers rarely think:
"Gee, this is a temporarily unsafe situation. I am simply going to put on my flashers and CAUTIOUSLY drive behind these well-lit cyclists for a brief 15-20 seconds until we reach a clear and open section to pass."

Even more mystifying is they will put themselves and their passengers in mortal risk because the driving option of momentarily *WAITING* never presents itself to them. This was not seen as frequently years ago. I have often wondered if the insulated silence of new quality vehicles makes occupants feel somewhat unconnected with those outside or in other vehicles?

Such a sad and unfortunate loss of life for this innocent woman.