Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-06-2021, 04:10 AM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

As has been said - tough individual

One of the last politicians who put service, country, and the people first.

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 12-06-2021, 06:10 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
I heard this. I disagreed with 90% of what Bob Dole supported or wanted, but I knew that it came for a place of integrity. One of the last willing to talk across the aisle.
Agree and admired Mr Dole for his service, both in and out of uniform. A true gentleman and statesman...things sorely lacking by some in government these current and past days

RIP sir....
Old 12-06-2021, 06:36 AM

He had a great sense of humor too. I miss when you could have a political discussion without rancor and with total honesty. Stuff like one person could be right partly etc. The world isnt black/white and he knew it.
Old 12-06-2021, 07:02 PM

Didn't always agree but he had principles and held himself to the highest standards to the point of risking his life for his country. Too bad we have to suffer from professional politicians and a past president with zero public service.
Old 12-06-2021, 07:34 PM

Frequently disagreed with his positions but always believed he was genuinely advocating for what he felt was best for the country. A good human. RIP
Old 12-06-2021, 08:48 PM

Bob was one the generation of politicians that was willing work across the aisle to get things done. Back then, compromise wasn't considered a betrayal.

RIP Bob - thank you for your service.
Old 12-07-2021, 10:15 AM

I had the privilege of meeting Bob Dole on numerous occasions back in 1982 when interning at a political consulting firm in DC - i would report on hearings - he got to know me by my first name and always said hello.
It was amazingly obvious how revered he was by his colleagues. Unfortunately this appears to be a dying breed.
Old 12-07-2021, 06:29 PM

Great posts here. They remind me of a quote from the novelist/poet, Jim Harrison. In an interview in 1988, he said: "Greed is killing the soul-life of the nation. You can see it all around you. It's destroying what's left of our physical beauty, it's polluting the country, it's making us more Germanic and warlike and stupid."
Old 12-08-2021, 12:41 AM

Bob Dole was a fellow fraternity brother - many years my senior of course. He, along with other families from Russell KS remained active with the chapter, and as in his public life he always gave of himself to help others. An awesome role model regardless of political ideology. He lived by his convictions, but was also willing to negotiate and compromise for the betterment of all, the nation.

I was recently told there is no room for a Bob Dole now in governance. Maybe not, which is truly unfortunate because people get nowhere when they can’t work together. Statesmanship lost one of its finest with Mr. Dole.

Last edited by sitzmark; 12-08-2021 at 12:48 AM.
Old 12-08-2021, 02:31 AM

This.

Regardless of ideaology.

It's sad.

Seems like folks today think they're the 1st generation to be addressing meaningful societal conflict.

Maybe they forgot those courses in history that detailed a couple thousand years or so of global conflict....and the subsequent repercussions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitzmark View Post

I was recently told there is no room for a Bob Dole now in governance. Maybe not, which is truly unfortunate because people get nowhere when they can’t work together. Statesmanship lost one of its finest with Mr. Dole.
Old 12-08-2021, 05:05 AM

How sad that someone like Bob Dole would never be elected today.