Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-05-2021, 01:13 PM

Anyone else have Fall responsibilities that keep you off the bike???

Yet another classic Fall in the NE--and I have been going flat out--with no time for riding. Every year I think it will be different; every year it is December before I know it, and I have had no riding since September...

Every year it is the same list:
  • complete outdoor chores and put away all the outdoor stuff. This year the extra excitement was finally completing my garage door install, and sort out the workshop in the garage.
  • fall gardening chores
  • leaves, leaves, leaves--and more leaves
  • firewood--set up the racks, fill the racks, get more wood, split and stack more wood
  • Thanksgiving--cleaning, cooking and hanging out

Sometimes I dream about condo living with an HOA

Last edited by paredown; 12-05-2021 at 01:20 PM.
Old 12-05-2021, 01:17 PM
Administrator

Man, I hear you!

It has seemingly been a fantastic fall for riding, but I have had zero time on the bike this year. We just bought a house and the list of stuff we needed to do to get in and get our other house ready to list was overwhelming, and yes - the leave situation is out of control.

I have put my foot down and decided to work half day tomorrow and head out on the bike since it's predicted to be 65 degrees here in NJ, which is nuts, just cant pass that up, regardless of stuff i definitely should be doing.
Old 12-05-2021, 01:24 PM
Head to Ned

Chores come after fun stuff. Like after dark or on rainy days, etc.

Life is too short...
Old 12-05-2021, 01:27 PM

Mostly it's the short days. I'm in NW Arizona so it's on me to get the lights out and ride in the dark. I also have a nice trainer setup but I should be outside.
Old 12-05-2021, 02:54 PM

Same here, not much time on the bike this fall. As my kids get older there are more sports and activities that require my time, luckily I enjoy all that too. Missed some nice rides so I could be out bowhunting, and I have a freezer full of venison to show for it.
Old 12-05-2021, 03:21 PM

A good portion of my weekends is dedicated to blowing my neighbors leaves off my lawn. We have two medium sized red maples and one birch. Both neighbors have ginormous oaks. When I blow off my lawn I always go a good five to six feet into the neighbors yard. I had one neighbor give me a load of s@@@ this year about not having his pile picked up when I had mine picked up. These guys never do any yard work and their landscaper packed it in in October. Not my problem homie.
Old 12-05-2021, 03:24 PM

Moved across the country, started a new job, lived in temporary housing for three months (with a longer commute), moved into the real house, have a two year old, now in rainy Seattle.

I've got out for six or eight rides outdoors, actual rides, in the last three months? So yeah, I'm right there with you.
Old 12-05-2021, 03:25 PM

Last year I rode well into December. This year I barely rode outside in November it seems. A number of trainer rides but that's no fun. Fall came late this year in the Mitten so I've been trying to get the leaves picked up in between the crappy weather. Not terribly successful, and it's snowing now. Belt is already getting more snug. Not happy.
Old 12-05-2021, 04:13 PM

Coached our six year old twins’ soccer team and their older sibling had her games a few hours later. So that was Saturday for 3 months. Since it ended we’ve replaced it with Saturday hiking.
Try to sneak out for a ride at quitting time on Fridays and again Sunday afternoons.
Old 12-05-2021, 04:41 PM

Any more excuses? Get up earlier, ride later, make time for it somehow if you want but don't blog about it as if it's outside your control. Give me a break.
Old 12-05-2021, 05:05 PM

For me it's Q4 OKRs :/
Old 12-05-2021, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronk View Post
Any more excuses? Get up earlier, ride later, make time for it somehow if you want but don't blog about it as if it's outside your control. Give me a break.
^^^True That ^^^

Old 12-05-2021, 05:19 PM

I was busy with harvest until Thanksgiving. There were lots of off days especially in October but I'm not much for riding in the rain at 40-50 degrees. Since then it's been getting machinery ready for winter, moving hay bales and working on firewood. Had a couple of days last week around 60 degrees and I told myself I would go for a ride but couldn't get away for one. The only riding I've done all fall is 3-5 mile trips between farms.
Old 12-05-2021, 05:39 PM

Ugggghhhh…

Me too. Still getting over the move and starting a shop building and misc remodeling projects. Seems like the last 18 mos has been all work and no play.

After 5 hours up and down ladders I rode the MC for a very short ride. Was gonna ride bike but too tired from the ladder.

Yesterday was servicing all the gas powered equipment and finding new fuel hose for the mower. Four different parts stores before I found the 1/4” fuel line. Who would have ever thought?

Last edited by HenryA; 12-05-2021 at 05:42 PM.
Old 12-05-2021, 06:37 PM

Not much too as other than….just leave the leaves. I stopped raking a few years ago and eventually they blow away or decompose or something….all I know my yard looks awful and I don’t care. I hate yardwork. I also discovered that if I take bag off lawnmower it just chops it all up and I don’t even bag grass either saving an extra few minutes off that job as well. Still ready to go back to condo life, I hate yard work (it’s not the work, it’s spending time on something I don’t value that kills me)