Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-28-2021, 09:11 PM

Into the Lion's Den - recap vid

Man, this was fun and full of energy. Seems to have a nice, fresh vibe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWm0LlVYXiE

Enjoy.
Old 11-29-2021, 09:33 AM
PegoNagos

It was a great event. I was working in the pit as an official - it was so much fun!
Old 11-30-2021, 06:44 AM

so cool
Old 11-30-2021, 07:00 AM

Old 11-30-2021, 07:24 AM
Proud Grandpa

SramTV...who knew?(well, I didn't)...
Old 11-30-2021, 07:28 AM

I liked everything about this BESIDES Legion stacking the field with an A and B team.

Looking forward to what the future holds for this series.
Old 11-30-2021, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post
I liked everything about this BESIDES Legion stacking the field with an A and B team.

That turned me off to the whole event, and to Legion in general. I'm not really into the "influencer" hype (for cycling, cars, TikTok or whatever else). But I'll give the recap a chance and try to be open-minded.
Old 11-30-2021, 08:09 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRad704 View Post
That turned me off to the whole event, and to Legion in general. I'm not really into the "influencer" hype (for cycling, cars, TikTok or whatever else). But I'll give the recap a chance and try to be open-minded.
What seems to be the problem?
Old 11-30-2021, 08:22 AM

What I found interesting was the large percentage of footage that was either slowed down or actually run backwards.

If you want to put out a video to attract people who don't know anything about cycling in general, or criterium racing in particular, speed is what will make them notice. Placing the cameras closer also accentuates the feeling of speed.
Old 11-30-2021, 08:27 AM

Quote:

I noticed that the video worked pretty hard to not show the second team. I don't mind them stacking the field, but if they were going to do it, they shouldn't be ashamed of it.

Also the rest of that video was pretty cringey too. But I enjoyed watching the event.
Old 11-30-2021, 09:11 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben View Post
What I found interesting was the large percentage of footage that was either slowed down or actually run backwards.

If you want to put out a video to attract people who don't know anything about cycling in general, or criterium racing in particular, speed is what will make them notice. Placing the cameras closer also accentuates the feeling of speed.
Do you think they are trying to attract people that are not into cycling though?

They are not even going to attract some that are into cycling (as we can see from the comments here). I am going to bet some that are into racing will enjoy this kind of stuff, others won't. It is not made to please the entire world, specially non cyclists who either don't think of cycling in general or are annoyed by it.
Old 11-30-2021, 09:12 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
What seems to be the problem?
The problem is that you are on the internet and you have to be mad about free content that you can choose or not to watch.
Old 12-01-2021, 07:00 AM

Exclamation

Other than the prize money (bout time pay is equal between men/women) this event looked the same to me as the crit racing that took place in downton Austin back when Lance was doing the Ride for the Roses. Pro teams, big rowdy crowds, pro teams, downtown Austin.

The only big difference I see (besides big money) is the social media aspect, the influencer spin. My only concern with the social media selling of this “new” style of racing is how fickle the public is with social media trends.

But after watching the video, how is this new? Every comment centered on making cycling new, exciting, turn it on its head, revolutionary. Etc.

And, unless companies continue to put this type of money into it, how will it last?

Interesting though how crazy everyone has gone over the $50,000 prize money. Pennies compared to the big 6, soccer, baseball, basketball, tennis, football and golf.

Don’t get me wrong, cool race and cool video, but with apologies I just don’t see the revolutionary aspect to it. What I see is a lot of media hype. Maybe that’s what it takes.
Old 12-01-2021, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy View Post
Other than the prize money (bout time pay is equal between men/women) this event looked the same to me as the crit racing that took place in downton Austin back when Lance was doing the Ride for the Roses. Pro teams, big rowdy crowds, pro teams, downtown Austin.

The only big difference I see (besides big money) is the social media aspect, the influencer spin. My only concern with the social media selling of this “new” style of racing is how fickle the public is with social media trends.

But after watching the video, how is this new? Every comment centered on making cycling new, exciting, turn it on its head, revolutionary. Etc.

And, unless companies continue to put this type of money into it, how will it last?

Interesting though how crazy everyone has gone over the $50,000 prize money. Pennies compared to the big 6, soccer, baseball, basketball, tennis, football and golf.

Don’t get me wrong, cool race and cool video, but with apologies I just don’t see the revolutionary aspect to it. What I see is a lot of media hype. Maybe that’s what it takes.
I think the idea is to continue marketing and hyping these events in order to reinvigorate American bike racing. I think (as you mentioned) the money is the biggest difference.
Old 12-01-2021, 08:04 AM

One of the problems with stacking the field in any type of competition is that it becomes predictable and as a result, not interesting, regardless of how much money and hype you put into it.