Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-27-2021, 04:32 PM

I’m happy with the performance of my brakes even down steep hills bike packing. I never had sram brakes to compare them to though.
Old 04-27-2021, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
Whatever the pads were that came with the calipers. They work great.

Perfect! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-27-2021, 06:30 PM

Hope RX4 Thoughts

Replaced the SRAM calipers with them a couple of years ago and very happy. Hated that the high-end SRAM brakes had so much play in them, TBH. Stopping power also feels better on these (maybe? probably?) and I do a fair amount of steep gravel stuff. Also, they come in blue, and that’s reason enough.

Replacement pads were a bit of a bugger to find. Ended up going to eBay when I replaced them ~6mo ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-12-2021, 07:15 PM

I'm still waiting for a front RX4 Caliper. I ordered both the first week of February. The rear showed up a week later, but no luck getting a front so far in almost 6 months. arggggggg ....
Old 07-12-2021, 07:47 PM

Getting these things is nearly impossible . I was tempted to get some for my Rival equipped gravel bike coming in a while,but nobody actually has them in stock and apparently a distributor here said it would be months and months to get them in. I gave up and bought some FM force calipers here that will be just fine too, but not as sexy!

Anybody have a set of silver SRAM flatmount ones kicking around?
Old 07-12-2021, 09:39 PM

Hope has had a hell of a time with Covid related issues, as have many places, obviously. Hope is (or at least was at last conversation) back at full steam, but I'm told they are still backlogged many weeks on production. So, if you're eying something from Hope and you find that it's in stock somewhere...buy it.

The calipers I got, one installed beautifully, the other had a leak from new.

I had ordered mine from Merlin because I couldn't get Hope USA to sell to me with a trade account (wheel builder), and none of the distributors I work with had any stock. After about a month of back and forth-ing, Hope sent me a a seal kit. I replaced the seal I thought was the culprit, but wound up having to remove one of the bore caps and replaced an additional seal as there was another leak escaping there. When in there, found a *very* tiny sliver of loose aluminum. Removed the sliver, replaced that seal, and leak was unchanged - maybe sneaking past wherever the sliver came from.

Hope working on a warranty replacement caliper.

I haven't been riding at all since being sick w/ Covid in Sept, but I'm getting to the point where I'd like to try go for five to ten miles - without the brake caliper I'm limited to fixed gears, which aren't ideal at the moment.

That said, I love the way the one brake feels, and did quite "enjoy" the bleed process. Looking forward to getting it sorted and trying to ride some.
Old 07-13-2021, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_douglas View Post
Getting these things is nearly impossible . I was tempted to get some for my Rival equipped gravel bike coming in a while,but nobody actually has them in stock and apparently a distributor here said it would be months and months to get them in. I gave up and bought some FM force calipers here that will be just fine too, but not as sexy!
I'm in the same boat, even resigned myself to using the post mount calipers that I have here with adapters, but a set popped up on ebay yesterday morning and I grabbed them. Keep searching...

My LBS emailed hope asking about crankset lead time and they said 4 months, ouch.
Old 07-13-2021, 08:23 AM

This thread is about Hope calipers with SRAM, which I understand to use DOT brake fluid. Can they be used with Shimano levers and mineral oil too?

FWIW, on getting parts: a buddy has Hope hubs on his MTB and the freehub failed. Nothing in stock anywhere. He contacted Hope directly, they might have felt sorry for him, and when they had them back in production sold him one directly, months before they showed up in stock anywhere.
Old 07-13-2021, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
This thread is about Hope calipers with SRAM, which I understand to use DOT brake fluid. Can they be used with Shimano levers and mineral oil too?
The shimano calipers are a different part.

For sure the seals will be a different material but I dont know if the piston sizes are different also.
Old 07-13-2021, 09:33 AM

Hope just released a new version of their RX4 called RX4+.

https://www.hopetech.com/products/br...d/rx4-caliper/

I'm having a hell of a time sourcing them in Europe.

BTW, on my Elephant NFE, I replaced my Paul Klumper with Hope RX4. The front one is great. The rear one will not open all the way (one of the pistons will not come out).

I made a little video of it here.
Old 11-13-2021, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambee View Post
Hope just released a new version of their RX4 called RX4+.

https://www.hopetech.com/products/br...d/rx4-caliper/

I'm having a hell of a time sourcing them in Europe.

BTW, on my Elephant NFE, I replaced my Paul Klumper with Hope RX4. The front one is great. The rear one will not open all the way (one of the pistons will not come out).

I made a little video of it here.

I’m having the opposite problem; rear is great. Fronts; one piston is stuck open. Bike builder has an employee who has the same caliper, but couldn’t fix it.

I was told to just ride it, and hope the piston goes back in and/or the pad wears down.

Anyone having this issue, and how was it corrected?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-13-2021, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambee View Post
The rear one will not open all the way (one of the pistons will not come out).
My rear Yokozuna Ultimo was sticking and causing rubbing no matter how I adjusted it. I called and they RMA'd it.
Old 11-17-2021, 10:57 PM

Has anyone serviced the piston seals? What silicon lube, that’s available in the US is everyone using? The Hunter stuff is from the UK, so highly unlikely I’ll find it.

TIA!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-18-2021, 12:07 AM

I have this setup on my Bingham as well. Never used the Sram ones so I can't compare, but the Hopes are excellent in finish and performance.

These are the first hydro disc brakes I've ever wrenched on, so I'm sure my setup is less than perfect and I get some squeal occasionally. Otherwise, even with cludgy install they are great brakes that stop even and firm.

They made some accidental 'underbiking' in Steamboat much more confidence inspiring (if not a bit loud... )
Old 11-18-2021, 12:14 AM

Just seeing the above posts about sticky pistons. I think that may be causing some of my noise as well. One rear piston seems a bit slow. I'm told putting a bit of hydro fluid on the piston and working it back and forth manually a few times may help. Might be worth reaching out to Hope the get thier thoughts now that I think about it....