Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight


Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-07-2021, 09:38 PM
Jared Purdy Jared Purdy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Toronto
Posts: 193
Short or Medium Cage?

Greetings,

I was thinking of picking up a spare rear derailleur for my 2015-2018 Record 11 speed groupo (serious shortages in parts). I've come across some mixed reviews about the short cage 11 speed RD18-RE1 HO on the 11-29 cassette. Some have claimed that it doesn't shift as well as the medium cage.

The Campy product catalogue does not indicate either way. It does state that the medium cage is designed to go up to 32 teeth.

Any experiences with this? Both derailleurs are available, all be it not in great numbers. I only want one.

Last edited by Jared Purdy; 12-07-2021 at 10:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-07-2021, 09:53 PM
R3awak3n's Avatar
R3awak3n R3awak3n is offline
aka RAEKWON
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: NYC // Catskills, NY
Posts: 13,807
If you want to just go to 29t the short cage is more than enough. It will shift perfectly.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-07-2021, 09:54 PM
sokyroadie sokyroadie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Austin, KY
Posts: 2,496
I have used the short cage on several bikes with 29 max cassette’s they all worked great.
__________________
Carbon Sonder MTB, Capitol Ti coming, Planet X Ti
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-07-2021, 09:56 PM
Jared Purdy Jared Purdy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Toronto
Posts: 193
Thanks guys. I'll place an order for one. I have no intention of running a 32 on this bike, so less is more!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-08-2021, 07:35 AM
oldpotatoe's Avatar
oldpotatoe oldpotatoe is offline
Proud Grandpa
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Republic of Boulder, USA
Posts: 42,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Purdy View Post
Greetings,

I was thinking of picking up a spare rear derailleur for my 2015-2018 Record 11 speed groupo (serious shortages in parts). I've come across some mixed reviews about the short cage 11 speed RD18-RE1 HO on the 11-29 cassette. Some have claimed that it doesn't shift as well as the medium cage.

The Campy product catalogue does not indicate either way. It does state that the medium cage is designed to go up to 32 teeth.

Any experiences with this? Both derailleurs are available, all be it not in great numbers. I only want one.
Get the medium..easy to use with smaller cogsets whereas if you ever want a gigantic one..you'll be set.
Quote:
I have no intention of running a 32 on this bike
I see you ordered already..10-4...but never say never...
__________________
Chisholm's Custom Wheels
Qui Si Parla Campagnolo
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-08-2021, 08:06 AM
Jared Purdy Jared Purdy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Toronto
Posts: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Get the medium..easy to use with smaller cogsets whereas if you ever want a gigantic one..you'll be set.

I see you ordered already..10-4...but never say never...
I have medium cage now. Seemed like overkill, but it's what was on the bike. Mind you, I've never had a cassette with a 29 on the back. Most reviews I read claimed the short cage was fine, but I came across some dissenting reviews yesterday.

It's technology. It either works or it doesn't. Opinions on this don't mean anything. It's a simple enough component to set up properly, so I'm not sure what some people are doing to claim that it doesn't shift properly?

Anywho, it's ordered, and at least I have new in box spare. Why does Campy have to make things so complicated?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-08-2021, 08:34 AM
Ralph Ralph is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 5,607
I would stay with med cage. No downside with smaller cog cassette. Top pulley same distance from cog as short cage.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.