Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-07-2021, 08:38 PM

Short or Medium Cage?

Greetings,

I was thinking of picking up a spare rear derailleur for my 2015-2018 Record 11 speed groupo (serious shortages in parts). I've come across some mixed reviews about the short cage 11 speed RD18-RE1 HO on the 11-29 cassette. Some have claimed that it doesn't shift as well as the medium cage.

The Campy product catalogue does not indicate either way. It does state that the medium cage is designed to go up to 32 teeth.

Any experiences with this? Both derailleurs are available, all be it not in great numbers. I only want one.

Last edited by Jared Purdy; 12-07-2021 at 09:28 PM.
Old 12-07-2021, 08:53 PM
aka RAEKWON

If you want to just go to 29t the short cage is more than enough. It will shift perfectly.
Old 12-07-2021, 08:54 PM

I have used the short cage on several bikes with 29 max cassette’s they all worked great.
Old 12-07-2021, 08:56 PM

Thanks guys. I'll place an order for one. I have no intention of running a 32 on this bike, so less is more!
Old 12-08-2021, 06:35 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Purdy View Post
Greetings,

I was thinking of picking up a spare rear derailleur for my 2015-2018 Record 11 speed groupo (serious shortages in parts). I've come across some mixed reviews about the short cage 11 speed RD18-RE1 HO on the 11-29 cassette. Some have claimed that it doesn't shift as well as the medium cage.

The Campy product catalogue does not indicate either way. It does state that the medium cage is designed to go up to 32 teeth.

Any experiences with this? Both derailleurs are available, all be it not in great numbers. I only want one.
Get the medium..easy to use with smaller cogsets whereas if you ever want a gigantic one..you'll be set.
Quote:
I have no intention of running a 32 on this bike
I see you ordered already..10-4...but never say never...
Old 12-08-2021, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Get the medium..easy to use with smaller cogsets whereas if you ever want a gigantic one..you'll be set.

I see you ordered already..10-4...but never say never...
I have medium cage now. Seemed like overkill, but it's what was on the bike. Mind you, I've never had a cassette with a 29 on the back. Most reviews I read claimed the short cage was fine, but I came across some dissenting reviews yesterday.

It's technology. It either works or it doesn't. Opinions on this don't mean anything. It's a simple enough component to set up properly, so I'm not sure what some people are doing to claim that it doesn't shift properly?

Anywho, it's ordered, and at least I have new in box spare. Why does Campy have to make things so complicated?
Old 12-08-2021, 07:34 AM

I would stay with med cage. No downside with smaller cog cassette. Top pulley same distance from cog as short cage.