Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Bike Fit

Old 12-05-2021, 03:30 PM

Nagging knee pain has returned

So I’ve had some on again off again pain in my right knee, but it was never impairing and after playing around with my fit, it has all but went away.
That’s until I rode 120 miles in 9 hours on thanksgiving day, and my knee’s been bad since. I took last week off and was feeling no pain, but it quickly came back when I got back on the bike.

To describe the pain: it’s only in my right knee, on the inside of the kneecap (inside meaning the left side, not behind it). It hurts when I press it, but not so much when I squat. Sometimes when riding it felt like my foot wanted to go further out (right) than the cleat allows it. I checked and found that the right cleat had moved a bit outboard. I moved it back inboard, but it didn’t help with the pain. It also sometimes feels like my right knee is not as stable as the right one.

Besides taking more time off and seeing if it goes away, any idea if this might be caused by an aspect from my fit? Any recommendations for tinkering?
Old 12-08-2021, 06:08 PM
Hey, watch this!!!!!

If your shoes have bunches of miles on them then that could be a part of the issue. Have a friend observe you pedaling from behind looking for signs that the sole of the shoe has started “folding” over the outer edge of the cleat/pedal surface. If so, time for new shoes.
Old 12-09-2021, 01:12 AM

ITB syndrome? It sounds most likely, but have yourself professionally assessed by sports clinician.

If it is ITB you'll be off the bike for a while which is when you can spend time determining what caused it. Did you knock or wrench your knee anytime recently. Change fittings or settings on the bike? Two things very likely to move without you noticing are saddle sliding back on the rails, and cleat movement, as you noted. Are you sure it is now back where it should be. I got rid of all my Look Delta cleats because the things could not be relied upon to give good lateral support to my knees. Are you sitting straight on the bike? Is your pelvis slumping, or one hip forward?
These and many other issues can really mess with you and need be addressed.
Old 12-09-2021, 11:07 AM

U
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredd View Post
So I’ve had some on again off again pain in my right knee, but it was never impairing and after playing around with my fit, it has all but went away.
That’s until I rode 120 miles in 9 hours on thanksgiving day, and my knee’s been bad since. I took last week off and was feeling no pain, but it quickly came back when I got back on the bike.

To describe the pain: it’s only in my right knee, on the inside of the kneecap (inside meaning the left side, not behind it). It hurts when I press it, but not so much when I squat. Sometimes when riding it felt like my foot wanted to go further out (right) than the cleat allows it. I checked and found that the right cleat had moved a bit outboard. I moved it back inboard, but it didn’t help with the pain. It also sometimes feels like my right knee is not as stable as the right one.

Besides taking more time off and seeing if it goes away, any idea if this might be caused by an aspect from my fit? Any recommendations for tinkering?
Don’t tinker. Go see an orthopedic surgeon and make sure you haven’t done any serious or lasting damage to your knee. No one here has near enough information to offer you solid advice. Your issues could be from overuse, or a foot issue like excessive pronation, or shoes that don’t fit right, or cleat position, or pedal saddle height or position, or some combination thereof.

I’d also think you might take some time off the bike to let your knee issue resolve and stabilize, and then work on your fit issues with someone who knows what they are doing and actually can look at you.
Old 12-09-2021, 06:04 PM

Appreciate the answers. I suspect it may be a lack of arch support. But am taking some good time off the bike + have scheduled a fit + will see an ortho. Hopefully not too much time off the bike...
Old 12-09-2021, 06:46 PM

whatever the issue is, riding 120 miles is probably a large part of the problem.
Old 12-09-2021, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredd View Post
Appreciate the answers. I suspect it may be a lack of arch support. But am taking some good time off the bike + have scheduled a fit + will see an ortho. Hopefully not too much time off the bike...
You should consider custom insoles/orthotics designed for cycling shoes. Many issues can be resolved by putting the foot in a neutral position within the shoe, or in other words, correcting for your collapsing arches and pronation. This will help with the alignment of your lower leg and the tracking of your knee as you pedal. Or better yet, you should consider orthotics and shoes. It’s no secret that I’m partial to Don Lamson’s stuff. Don and I have been friends for 30 years, since he taught me how to fit ski boots and make insoles when we both were living in Vail and he owned The Boot Lab. Don is a magician when it comes to fit issues.
https://lamsoncycling.com/
Old 12-11-2021, 12:39 PM
Ride 'yer bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
Don’t tinker. Go see an orthopedic surgeon and make sure you haven’t done any serious or lasting damage to your knee. No one here has near enough information to offer you solid advice. Your issues could be from overuse, or a foot issue like excessive pronation, or shoes that don’t fit right, or cleat position, or pedal saddle height or position, or some combination thereof.
I'm thinking a good bike fitter might be less invasive than a surgeon... You are right about not having enough information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
I’d also think you might take some time off the bike to let your knee issue resolve and stabilize, and then work on your fit issues with someone who knows what they are doing and actually can look at you.
Bike fitters don't get enough credit here. A good bike fitter should be able to watch someone ride a bike and pick out the potential problems - that's what they do.
Old 12-12-2021, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti Designs View Post
I'm thinking a good bike fitter might be less invasive than a surgeon... You are right about not having enough information.

Bike fitters don't get enough credit here. A good bike fitter should be able to watch someone ride a bike and pick out the potential problems - that's what they do.
Yeah if it's a fit issue (likely), a fitter may actually be better at solving the root cause of the problem than an ortho.

Someone rescheduled and I managed to snag a time with Jonathan Blyer at Acme next week. Supposed to be really good.

Then I hop back on the bike and reassess. If fit doesn't solve it, ortho is the next step. Doubt it's a surgery situation, but might have to take extended time off the bike + PT.

Thanks for all the insights folks.