Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-16-2024, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
I was driving through the Catskills early last Saturday on the NYS thruway and saw a large animal on the side of the road. From a distance it appeared to be a deer until I got closer and sure enough it was a mountain lion. Crystal clear view of the animal and when I was returning on the thruway a few hours later there was an Encon officer parked in the nearest pull off.

I know they claim that there aren't any mountain lions in NYS, but I saw it with my own eyes. I have seen them on my friends trail cam a few miles from my house as well. I used to be a little freaked out by the black bears when I first moved just outside the Adirondack park, but they run away from you. Giant predatory cats are definitely scarier as you don't hear or see them coming!

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
I wonder why the NY State DEC continues to deny that there are mountain lions in NY? While I haven’t seen one personally, I’ve spoken with two reliable people who have. One account was close to ten years ago; the guy in question saw one in Salt Point (Hudson Valley) on his “gentleman’s farm” where he kept goats etc.
He did call the DEC to report it but they told him no, there are no mountain lions in New York.
Old 03-16-2024, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERK55 View Post
I wonder why the NY State DEC continues to deny that there are mountain lions in NY? While I haven’t seen one personally, I’ve spoken with two reliable people who have. One account was close to ten years ago; the guy in question saw one in Salt Point (Hudson Valley) on his “gentleman’s farm” where he kept goats etc.
He did call the DEC to report it but they told him no, there are no mountain lions in New York.
I was wondering if there would be any reports on the one I saw on the side of the road because I clearly wasn't the only one who saw it, but when I checked the DEC site it was still making the nonsense claim that they aren't in NYS. My buddy in the Mohawk Valley about 5 miles south had a large one clearly walk past his trail cam. Another case of the established authority telling us not to believe our lying eyes!
Old 03-16-2024, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post
Specialized, Disc brakes, and Sram AXS. Paceline is going to have a heart attack. No steel, no DT shifters, and no rim brakes.
I think we can put an end to any of this talk about carbon not being strong enough.
Old 03-16-2024, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
I was driving through the Catskills early last Saturday on the NYS thruway and saw a large animal on the side of the road. From a distance it appeared to be a deer until I got closer and sure enough it was a mountain lion. Crystal clear view of the animal and when I was returning on the thruway a few hours later there was an Encon officer parked in the nearest pull off.

I know they claim that there aren't any mountain lions in NYS, but I saw it with my own eyes. I have seen them on my friends trail cam a few miles from my house as well. I used to be a little freaked out by the black bears when I first moved just outside the Adirondack park, but they run away from you. Giant predatory cats are definitely scarier as you don't hear or see them coming!

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
There are definitely mountain lions in western MA, so not a stretch for them to be in the Hudson area.
Old 03-16-2024, 05:55 AM

I encountered a mountain lion in Northfield, MA a few years ago. It crossed the road in front of me as I was pedaling north to NH. There was no mistaking the critter.
Old 03-16-2024, 06:09 AM

They’re maybe using technicalities to continue to claim they aren’t around? Like claiming they’re just passing through?

My favorite MA mountain lion story was a few years ago a police officer saw one and the wildlife folks basically said he wasn’t a reliable observer and there were no mountain lions.
Old 03-16-2024, 06:18 AM

Police officers routinely see things that aren’t there