Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-17-2020, 06:17 PM

Cost and mass increase of a repaint

Out of curiosity, how much would it cost to commission a painting of a frame? Say that I don't like the current colors on the frame and want the currently painted section to be redone? It's an titanium frame, if it matters.

Also, what about for the fork?

Lastly, estimate of what an additional coat of paint would add in terms of mass?

Last edited by echappist; 09-17-2020 at 06:53 PM.
Old 09-17-2020, 06:32 PM

Get a hold of Allan Wanta in Florida. He's quite reasonable compared to most. But reviews are mixed. Great guy, but I wasn't terribly thrilled with the finish work on my respray he did. Others have been thrilled so take that for what it's worth.
Old 09-17-2020, 06:44 PM

Cost of paint

The cost of a paint job can vary a lot depending on quality of the work, how much prep is needed, complexity of paint job and decals/graphics.

I would say the weight of paint is 150-200 grams.
Old 09-17-2020, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Get a hold of Allan Wanta in Florida. He's quite reasonable compared to most. But reviews are mixed. Great guy, but I wasn't terribly thrilled with the finish work on my respray he did. Others have been thrilled so take that for what it's worth.
I don't think I've ever seen a more ringing milquetoast endorsement.
Old 09-17-2020, 06:51 PM

I think the cost of shipping a frame and fork from Madison to Florida would eliminate having Wanta do a repaint might wreck your budget. Maybe you can find someone within driving distance to do the job? Do you know of a painter who does good work on motorcycles, cars, or motorcycle helmets. They might be good options even if they hadn't thought of painting bicycles. I assume your aluminum frame has no lugs to be painted in contrasting colors like one of Joe Bell's masterpieces.
Old 09-17-2020, 06:53 PM

For wet paint, prices range from about $250 to $1500, depending on how fancy you want it done. I'd guess stripping the old paint, and repainting with a single color would average in the $400-500 range. If you want fancier colors, multiple colors, and masking, probably starting at around $800.

If you're less particular about the quality of the finish and just want a new color, powdercoating seems to start around $150.
Old 09-17-2020, 06:57 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
Out of curiosity, how much would it cost to commission a painting of a frame? Say that I don't like the current colors on the frame and want the currently painted section to be redone? It's an titanium frame, if it matters.

Also, what about for the fork?

Lastly, estimate of what an additional coat of paint would add in terms of mass?

Jim,

There is a guy who does an incredible job based in Minneapolis. Drew Wilson from CycloCarbon. He also does carbon repairs and makes carbon frames. I have a frame there right now being repaired and painted. Check him out.

Cost wise... for a seatstay repair and a bit of paint on it $280. If it required more paint, it would be like $350 but it's a pretty simple black paint with a matte finish. So nothing major.

He told me for a panels design, it would be about $550-750 depending on the amount of masking and the colors. Fluro, metallic and pearls cost more than a straight color.
Old 09-17-2020, 07:16 PM

Find a framebuilder local to you and ask for a referral. Since you're in Wisconsin, I suggest the following:

Waterford will perform repaints.

Ellis Cycles should be able to provide some referrals.

I think the estimate of 150-200g. for a paint job is high. I'd expect 100g. for primer, paint, AND clear coat.

I think the typical repaint, with stripping, primer, color, and clear to be about $600. Bilenky Cycles will strip and paint with a single color and clear for roughly that price.

Last edited by Peter P.; 09-18-2020 at 06:04 AM.
Old 09-17-2020, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
I don't think I've ever seen a more ringing milquetoast endorsement.
Beat me to it haha
Old 09-17-2020, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocipede View Post
Jim,

There is a guy who does an incredible job based in Minneapolis. Drew Wilson from CycloCarbon. He also does carbon repairs and makes carbon frames. I have a frame there right now being repaired and painted. Check him out.

Cost wise... for a seatstay repair and a bit of paint on it $280. If it required more paint, it would be like $350 but it's a pretty simple black paint with a matte finish. So nothing major.

He told me for a panels design, it would be about $550-750 depending on the amount of masking and the colors. Fluro, metallic and pearls cost more than a straight color.
Drew does lots of really cool stuff. I love following his Facebook and Instagram postings. If you were looking for a painter to do a ciavete-style paint job, he would be a great choice, though I think he'd also be great if you have an idea of what you want.
Old 09-17-2020, 07:34 PM

Thanks everyone, that was quite helpful.
Old 09-17-2020, 07:55 PM

Have owned and own a number of Wanta resprays. When he’s good, he’s very, very good. When he’s off, he’s very, very off. Several friends have been less than happy with his work. Personally, have only had to send one back for a respray.

Also own four frames resprayed by Jack at Franklin Frames. Excellent and consistent quality, would recommend him without reserve. In fact, have one ready to ship out to him as we speak.

Hard to get a decent job for less than $450 or so, depending on complexity. Rechroming adds like a zillion dollars to the equation. Shipping is a minor cost issue when considering the overall value of the finished product.
Old 09-17-2020, 08:07 PM

I've been thinking about this very thing for a frame of my own. I've never wondered about the increased weight of the paint, though. If the old is completely stripped, then wouldn't it come out net-zero impact?
Old 09-17-2020, 08:08 PM

Check out Agave Finishworks.
Old 09-17-2020, 08:39 PM

Cost and mass increase of a repaint

IMHO, paint is all about the prep and you get what you pay for.

It depends also on how many colors, any masking for stripes, funky design, etc you want and things like color. Candy Apple is more for example as I think there has to be a coat of shiny metal color like silver under the red. Cost of shipping isn’t bad as you are sending a stripped down frame and fork. I would look at Velocolour in Toronto (website is good and has some simple pricing ranges) or Hot Tubes in Massachusetts as both are great painters in my experience. Frame builder Nate Zukas in Georgia does beautiful paint for others too from what I’ve seen but I just haven’t used him (yet). But again, you want it done right it won’t be cheap (think single color 8-900ish). I think that to prepare right you’re stripping the old which will render your question about the mass moot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by htwoopup; 09-17-2020 at 08:44 PM.