Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-17-2020, 11:43 AM

hardpass

agree with bicycletricycle that its pretty interesting stuff but hard to see it performing as nicely as other steel bikes, and matching the weight of said rigs too. I can appreciate innovation for sure though. Yeah its ugly (which is relative, and related to the beholder) but there are so many other ugly bikes out there that might just ride better than this one. who knows

The sizing is a big issue as well, related probably to little demand and new on the market.

still, no thanks
Old 09-17-2020, 11:46 AM

Interesting bike.
Old 09-17-2020, 12:46 PM
Administrator

Thyssenkrupp?

Did a double take when I followed the link. We used to sometimes get steel from them for architectural installations & metal art/graphics. Doing bikes now...interesting and interesting?

W.
Old 09-17-2020, 12:57 PM
I need you cool.

Looks like a good way to make a mass produced bike by robots....sizes in S, M, L, and XL. Stamp left side, stamp right side, robot welds....done!

It appears to be just one seamed tube in the shape of a bike....didn't see how hey handled the rear stays though.

At that price though...pass.
Old 09-17-2020, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
Thyssenkrupp?

Did a double take when I followed the link. We used to sometimes get steel from them for architectural installations & metal art/graphics. Doing bikes now...interesting and interesting?
That's not really a first. Sandvik (maker of metal plate, bar and tube products for many industries including military and nuclear power plants) used to make titanum bicycle frames. It's probably not a stretch to say that while they knew a lot about making titanium tubing, they didn't know much about bikes.
Old 09-17-2020, 01:09 PM

These are Real Steal!

That bike is an overpriced abomination!
Old 09-17-2020, 01:24 PM

I had a job offer from Thyssen-Krupp when I was retiring from the military in 2012. They have a facility in the Seattle area that makes the metal parts for Boeing for just-in-time delivery. YUGE milling machines and acres of materials.

They still build submarines in Germany. The type 209 is very popular and well made.
Old 09-17-2020, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
These are Real Steal!

That bike is an overpriced abomination!
Get over it
Old 09-17-2020, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Get over it
Old 09-17-2020, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
How is this any uglier than the mass produced carbon sameness that millions ride now? Do I like the look? No. Is it uglier than your basic Trek/Cervelo/Specialized? Hardly.
Agreed
Old 09-17-2020, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
That's not really a first. Sandvik (maker of metal plate, bar and tube products for many industries including military and nuclear power plants) used to make titanum bicycle frames. It's probably not a stretch to say that while they knew a lot about making titanium tubing, they didn't know much about bikes.
Funny you brought that up. There was a bike on eBay recently listed as aluminum no name but in the pics, showed a Sandvik badge and a 3.2/2.5 Ti sticker. I put a couple hundred bucks bid in but it was taken down next day. Guess someone clued the seller in.
Old 09-18-2020, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tollefson View Post
.7mm isn't all that thin for steel frame tubes... I'd be curious on the finished frame weight. Hydroforming shapes like this isn't a new idea.
Agree. My DS has Dedacciai Zero tubing with a top tube of like .07x.04x.07, there’s other tubing that is even thinner. So what is the weight of this frame? Today’s carbon frames can weigh as little as 650g or even less! Not sure a .7mm steel frame can come close.

Of course, YMMV!

Good Luck!
Old 09-18-2020, 01:04 AM

Interesting concept, the two halves and all. Have to wonder about the potential for failure in the welding......there is a ton of welding here. Even with the dimpling effect of joining the two halves, I guess it is welded completely around?

Separately, think it is pretty neat to see a wonder material like Carbon Fiber used in traditional lug to lug construction, like a (level top tube of course, but I digress....) C-50, Parlee Z series, Calfee or others, and now a traditional material like steel being used in a very CF like manor-would this be considered bicoque construction vs moncoque?
Old 09-18-2020, 01:36 AM

Indeed, interesting.

I'd have thought the welding added considerably to the weight, as opposed to drawn tubing.

As to thickness: 0.7mm isn't particularly thin (depending on where on the frame - in terms of stress - we're talking about).
Old 09-18-2020, 06:40 AM
Randomhead

Did they list a frame weight? This probably isn't a great technology for high-end bicycles, but people seem to like to use bicycles as an accessible example of new tech.