Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-16-2020, 04:20 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJMUNC View Post
Funny, I read a similar statement on this forum 10+yrs ago and bought some....I must've gotten a bad version as they separate when I cut and have always done a terrible job. I use another snip, but have always wondered why mine were such garbage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellgate View Post
How odd. Has been used only for housing and cables? I've used a number of them and they've been consistent.
I've had Shimano CT10 cutters for decades and they've been perfect. The newer version is not as good. And the knock-off versions, not even close. A pair of side cutters work better then the knock-off ones.

You do sometimes need to adjust the CT10. Not sure why. I've had ones where I've never adjusted them(current pair) and I have a pair where I've adjusted them more than once. Who knows why. Shimano has always made excellent tools.
Old 09-16-2020, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocipede View Post
I've had Shimano CT10 cutters for decades and they've been perfect. The newer version is not as good. And the knock-off versions, not even close. A pair of side cutters work better then the knock-off ones.

You do sometimes need to adjust the CT10. Not sure why. I've had ones where I've never adjusted them(current pair) and I have a pair where I've adjusted them more than once. Who knows why. Shimano has always made excellent tools.
Agreed, avoid knock offs, as it's good money after bad.

Mine have never been sharped and primarily cut Campy housing...go figure.

And there is something so fulfilling when cutting index housing with Shimano SIS cutters. The sound and feeling makes me happy . I just want to keep cutting!
Old 09-16-2020, 08:04 PM

I too often try to find an alternative tool to get the job done and after using those solutions time and time again I eventually break down and buy the proper tool...and I always kick myself for not doing it sooner.
Old 09-16-2020, 08:05 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellgate View Post
Agreed, avoid knock offs, as it's good money after bad.

Mine have never been sharped and primarily cut Campy housing...go figure.

And there is something so fulfilling when cutting index housing with Shimano SIS cutters. The sound and feeling makes me happy . I just want to keep cutting!
Agreed! I've never ever had to sharpen mine. One pair is from 92. The other is from 96. One of the first things I learned was buy good tools if you want to do good work and make your life easier.
Old 09-16-2020, 08:16 PM

I've had trouble with getting a nice 90 degree cut with a Dremel. I use a Shimano cable cutter and like it better.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:25 PM

I've had lots of success using a bench grinder, set the the tool rest really close (1/8" or less) and use a light touch and spin it slowly. All you need to do is get the end of the housing square to the axis of the housing no matter the means.
Old 09-17-2020, 05:07 AM

Years ago I decided can do a cleaner job with cutters rather than dremel. And it takes less time too. Generally, I find that I am using hand tools more for cutting and filing rather than dremel.
Old 09-17-2020, 09:04 AM

Anyone use a dremel to cut cable housing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandem Rider View Post
I've had lots of success using a bench grinder, set the the tool rest really close (1/8" or less) and use a light touch and spin it slowly. All you need to do is get the end of the housing square to the axis of the housing no matter the means.

Works for facing the end of brake housing, but it fuses the end of the plastic liner. Unnecessary for derailleur housing. I use a flat file to face the end of brake housing. It doesn't melt the liner.

Last edited by MikeD; 09-17-2020 at 09:16 AM.
Old 09-17-2020, 12:05 PM

When I assemble a bike or do a cable/housing change, I go full on anal-retentive. I have a set of blocks for cutting hydraulic hose that I use in my small vise along with some pieces of old inner tube to hold the housing in the clamp. I use a Dremel with a cutting wheel and get a perfect 90 degree cut. I have a 30 year old Park cutter for quick jobs.
Old 09-17-2020, 08:34 PM

y'all have convinced me I need actual cable cutters. I've sanded down to smooth, use an awl to open the inner, but I've only ever just used whatever cutters are on my best pair of pliers. Time to upgrade.
Old 09-17-2020, 10:23 PM

Has anyone used the Pedro's cable cutter? I've used a few of their tools with much success and they're easier to come by than the Shimano CT10's.
Old 09-18-2020, 06:21 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocipede View Post
I have done different things over the years. Just cutting with Shimano cutters. Cutting and grinding on the grinder wheel. Dremel. The all work about the same. Shimano and other brands housing come cut by a carbide wheel of some kind. So they obviously think it's ok. You just need to do it quickly. I like cutting with Shimano cutter(the best ever made still) and then grinding on a bench grinder. I only do it on higher end client builds. Ones I am spending more time on. Not basic repairs.
What he and dddd said..bike cable housing, not a piece of the ISS.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 81cK-I7bW8L._AC_SS350_.jpg (8.6 KB, 104 views)
Old 09-18-2020, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehkaiser View Post
Has anyone used the Pedro's cable cutter? I've used a few of their tools with much success and they're easier to come by than the Shimano CT10's.
I have the cable cutter, but not the housing cutter.
Old 09-18-2020, 08:24 AM

I used to put a short length of cable inside the housing before cutting to keep it from getting crushed. Not really necessary with good cutters but I may go back to doing this as it prevents any deformation of the housing and can give a cleaner cut.
Old 09-18-2020, 09:17 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciero View Post
I used to put a short length of cable inside the housing before cutting to keep it from getting crushed. Not really necessary with good cutters but I may go back to doing this as it prevents any deformation of the housing and can give a cleaner cut.
Only downside to this is wears the cutters down faster since it's cutting more than they normally have too. I did this on a really crappy set of cutters once and actually broke the handle. Some cutters are seriously garbage.