Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-15-2020, 02:05 PM

Ultegra hubs - rebuild or replace?

My commuter bike has some older Ultegra hubs (FH-6500/HB-6500), which I'm starting to feel some vibration from during my rides. I serviced the hubs recently and I noticed some grooves/pitting on the cones. I was able to polish out the grooves by spinning the cones in a dremel type tool in a vice and using strips of high grit sand paper but I did not replace the bearings. Since I'm still noticing a slight vibration at times during my rides, I'm wondering if I should replace bearings, cones and seals or just replace the hubs? Is there someplace that sells rebuild kits that would include all of the necessary parts? I plan on checking with my LBS but figured I'd ask the question here first. Appreciate your thoughts.

Mike
Old 09-15-2020, 02:14 PM

Interesting. I'm in the same boat.
6500 hub cones are pitted as well as the bearings but the races in the hub are fine. At least for the front hub. Haven't opened up the back yet.
Replacement cones seem to be rare so I've been thinking the hubs are not worth the hassle.
Old 09-15-2020, 02:30 PM

I just had a set of Tiagra 10-speed hubs rebuilt last winter.. they're my beater wheels and I rode them through tons and tons of winter salt and rain for 7 years.

Mine had rust coming out everywhere and when the LBS opened them up they said all the actual hub parts were fine and they just replaced the bearings and other replaceable bits.

It was cheap at my LBS... like $50 for parts and labor on a set of wheels that has been utterly bulletproof under lots of abuse.

Mine weren't really vibrating though.. just tons of obvious drag.

Probably worth it unless the wheels have other issues.
Old 09-15-2020, 02:40 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucieli View Post
My commuter bike has some older Ultegra hubs (FH-6500/HB-6500), which I'm starting to feel some vibration from during my rides. I serviced the hubs recently and I noticed some grooves/pitting on the cones. I was able to polish out the grooves by spinning the cones in a dremel type tool in a vice and using strips of high grit sand paper but I did not replace the bearings. Since I'm still noticing a slight vibration at times during my rides, I'm wondering if I should replace bearings, cones and seals or just replace the hubs? Is there someplace that sells rebuild kits that would include all of the necessary parts? I plan on checking with my LBS but figured I'd ask the question here first. Appreciate your thoughts.

Mike
You always replace the bearings when overhauling a loose bearing hub or anything loose bearing. Especially since it's a commuter bike. It's the easiest way to ensure it's not something simple. And they are cheap.
Old 09-15-2020, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocipede View Post
You always replace the bearings when overhauling a loose bearing hub or anything loose bearing. Especially since it's a commuter bike. It's the easiest way to ensure it's not something simple. And they are cheap.
Yes. I apply the simple "float test": if the bearing balls float on water, keep them. Otherwise replace

Having said that, your hub is toast. Unless you do a full overhaul at the slightest hint of roughness, there will be too much pitting, and it will only get worse. The reason your cone was pitted is that the grease was contaminated, grinding off metal bits from bearing balls and the races. Once the hardened surface of the race gets pitted, the wear rapidly accelerates.
Old 09-15-2020, 05:08 PM

If there's only pitting on the cones, I'd probably try picking up a new axle assembly, which should have the cones and bits. Pitting on the receiving side of the hub shell might be a different story though...

I think Wheels Mfg. usually has these.
Old 09-15-2020, 05:56 PM

Quote:

Mike
Those cones are not expensive. I always find it odd that people try to grind off the bad spots. The cups are much harder than the cones so they are probably not damaged.
With minimum maintenance, those hubs can easily last for a lifetime. It's a shame to let them get damaged. Overhaul them with new ball bearings and fresh grease yearly. Maybe buy a spare freehub body for the decades ahead.

Last edited by bikinchris; 09-15-2020 at 06:21 PM.
Old 09-15-2020, 09:04 PM

Appreciate all the responses. The hub shells appear to be in great condition, so my thinking was to try and salvage the hubs. My effort to polish the existing cones (and not replace the bearings) was based solely on working with what was immediately available to me and trying to put the bike back in service. I’ve serviced hubs many times over the years and was unaware that it’s common to replace the bearings when doing so. I will plan on doing this in the future. As it relates to my current situation, I’ll look to see if I can source replacement axles (with bits and pieces) and rebuild the hubs. If that’s not possible, I’ll explore replacing the hubs and/or wheels. Cheers!
Old 09-15-2020, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Appreciate all the responses. The hub shells appear to be in great condition, so my thinking was to try and salvage the hubs. My effort to polish the existing cones (and not replace the bearings) was based solely on working with what was immediately available to me and trying to put the bike back in service. I’ve serviced hubs many times over the years and was unaware that it’s common to replace the bearings when doing so. I will plan on doing this in the future. As it relates to my current situation, I’ll look to see if I can source replacement axles (with bits and pieces) and rebuild the hubs. If that’s not possible, I’ll explore replacing the hubs and/or wheels. Cheers!
I don’t understand, why are you looking to replace the axles?! Isn’t this a cassette rear hub? If so, it is very rare that the axle would break. And front axle almost never break!

Definitely replace the balk bearings! Grade 25 bearings are like $0.05 or even $0.10 each, cheap! New bearings and new grease and your good to go! Good Luck!
Old 09-16-2020, 10:33 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:

Mike
Get new bearing balls and cones. Not hard to find. I’ll bet shimano, USA has them. NO need to replace the axles. Wheels Manufacturing has compatible cones. The bearing balls are a standard size also. 1/4 inch and 3/16, pretty sure.
AND yes, every hub overhaul generally gets new bearing balls...check cones..replace if necessary.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 09-16-2020 at 10:36 AM.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Get new bearing balls and cones. Not hard to find. I’ll bet shimano, USA has them. NO need to replace the axles. Wheels Manufacturing has compatible cones. The bearing balls are a standard size also. 1/4 inch and 3/16, pretty sure.
AND yes, every hub overhaul generally gets new bearing balls...check cones..replace if necessary.
Here's the parts lists for both the front and rear hubs:

https://si.shimano.com/api/publish/s...-6500-1678.pdf
https://si.shimano.com/api/publish/s...500-A-2320.pdf
https://si.shimano.com/api/publish/s...-6500-1679.pdf

Not sure what the difference is between an HB-6500 and HB-6500-A.

Greg
Old 09-16-2020, 11:08 AM

Yeah, these (front) cones have a dust cover pressed in and a rubber seal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4254.jpg (34.4 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4256.jpg (30.4 KB, 137 views)
Old 09-16-2020, 12:41 PM

Called Shimano Canada.
The -A drawing uses the new part numbering convention with the Y prefix so we should use that vs the non -A drawing.

Also, the cups are discontinued. He also said if you can't find individual cups then a complete hub axle (4) may be something to look up instead.
Old 09-16-2020, 12:45 PM

Short of pressure-washing or immersion in water, and given the really sophisticated rubber and labyrinth-sealed bearings, I would cite over-tight bearing adjustment as the only likely cause of the cone pitting.

The bearing adjustment from the factory is snug, with no free-play, perhaps as an "inspection" adjustment and/or to facilitate wheel truing on certain older wheel-truing stands that don't use the quick-release lever's clamping force (which measurably compresses the axle's length).

So, fitted to the bike as normal, using the high-leverage Shimano internal-cam QR levers, the bearings were binding in a severely over-tight condition from day one. Only the extremely high quality of Shimano's bearing surfaces prevents their failing very early once put into service.

Too late for the original cones and balls, but the new parts should be set up with enough play in the bearings that it only becomes free of play at the rim as the final level of QR tension is approached.

I recently used the squared edge of a "compressed Scotchbrite" unitized deburring wheel to somewhat re-finish the working surface of a rotating bearing cone, which with new Gr25 balls made a big improvement in the Deore front hub's turning smoothness. It won't last near as long as new parts, but until I find a discarded bent wheel with the needed cone it will be fine.
Old 09-16-2020, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
New bearings, cones and seals was my original thought. Loose bearings and seals I can source. It's the cones that I'm having trouble finding. I could not find them on Shimano USA and the Wheels Manufacturing compatible cone does not have the dust cap and is not available anyway. The pitting on the cones looked exactly like the photos Veloo shared but I was able to polish them clean with minimal effort. I will try replacing the bearings and see if there is any improvement.

Appreciate all the input!