Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-15-2020, 02:00 PM

I'm coming back after a 25 year hiatus. Don't sweat it. Do what makes you happy. Run, kayak, hike, read, geneology, birding, gardening, brewing beer, fishing, whatever. Bake pies. Learn to play an instrument. Air guitar is fine.

Last edited by reuben; 09-15-2020 at 04:35 PM.
Old 09-15-2020, 02:07 PM

This is where I'm glad I live in the northeast and have real winters. I don't mind the break and do other things. Sure, I'll get out during the winter if the roads are OK, but not nearly as often or as long. A quick 30-45 minutes will do it. The mind gets cleared and riding doesn't seem like a job.

Try something entirely new or restart and old passion, uh, hobby.

Good luck!
Old 09-15-2020, 02:10 PM

Damn this place, just like a giant group hug. Thanks for the sentiments and I'm sure it will work itself out.

I guess now that I can't play soccer anymore, hate to run, hate to workout, cycling has been a godsend, but I can't force myself to do it constantly.

At least it's hunting season and that will fill the fun activity void, just not the excercise void.

Now that empty nesting is upon us, I think it is time to reconnect with the wife and travel more, so that may help as well.

Old 09-15-2020, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcartelli View Post
This is exactly what happened to me in my master's program, and, now, mid-way through a doctorate, i'm picking it back up after a 4 year gap where I cycled through weight-lifting, running, swimming, trail running, and open-water swimming!

It does indeed return...
Same here. I work about 50 hours a week as an engineer then do another 25-30 hours a week working on my MA. I complete it in February, then I'll start thinking about cycling again. Not really planning on a Ph.D. even though I'll have GI Bill left. Maybe I'll take some welding classes.
Old 09-15-2020, 02:29 PM
More Cowbell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcartelli View Post
This is exactly what happened to me in my master's program, and, now, mid-way through a doctorate, i'm picking it back up after a 4 year gap where I cycled through weight-lifting, running, swimming, trail running, and open-water swimming!

It does indeed return...
hoping that it does!
Old 09-15-2020, 02:44 PM

One other suggestion: I'm not sure what COVID restrictions there are in OKC, but when the Pandemic, ends why not consider a team sport. Not sure if that's your deal or not, but it certainly is a great way to foster connection with people.

After my knees were thrashed by years of basketball, I turned to cycling. That's always going to be my first love. But for many years, I played softball. It was a total blast. Gradually, after my knees robbed me of my speed, I switched from the outfield to the infield where reaction time was more important than speed. Also, if memory serves, you're also a bigger guy. If you're a righty, find a field with a short left-field "porch." That's a blast
Old 09-15-2020, 03:20 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnabyjones View Post
It would be nice to take up a hobby which requires more skill. Something like golf.
Trying to decipher whether this was in jest, honestly can't tell. But, as someone who once had a single digit handicap, @130R's comment above about cycling being expensive made me laugh. Maybe a greater initial cost for good equipment, but once set up it's a cheap hobby. Also, cycling's less of a time sink for sure.

Personally, I was beginning to feel a bit of burnout the last couple of weeks, but just a few days of AQI enforced inactivity has me itching to feel the wind in my face again.

That said, better to let the passion rekindle itself than to force the issue -- best of luck.
Old 09-15-2020, 03:41 PM

Before I answer I’m going to need to know what your frame size is?

In all seriousness, lots of great advice above and if you aren’t feeling it and your not being paid to ride, take a break.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-15-2020, 03:47 PM
The bass playing cyclist

I was pretty burned out after fifteen years of riding when I switched to recumbents. Really brought my interest back as I worked my way through your basic recumbents, low racers and trikes. After around ten years of recumbents, I went back to road bikes exclusively, finding passion there once again, and really getting into the whole vintage bike Eroica thing. Lately I've been switching between my modern road bikes, vintage bikes and trikes. You have to keep shaking this stuff up or it's gonna get boring.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trikr.jpg (143.4 KB, 228 views)
Old 09-15-2020, 04:00 PM

"meh" on cycling

Take a break or try a new type of cycling! Mountain bikes and gravel bikes are great! I find myself taking off in a pair of loose shorts, a t-shirt and flannel instead of getting all kitted up 95% of the time and just riding in or around the woods.

There are always other things to do and as stated above the whole energy of Covid has brought on a slump for most of us. Go out and live your best life no matter what is going on is my advice. Turn off the news and just go do whatever it is that gets you going! Enjoy your family and friends! Surround yourself with positive things and if/when you get the itch build up that frame and go ride!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-15-2020, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post
Damn this place, just like a giant group hug. Thanks for the sentiments and I'm sure it will work itself out.

I guess now that I can't play soccer anymore, hate to run, hate to workout, cycling has been a godsend, but I can't force myself to do it constantly.

At least it's hunting season and that will fill the fun activity void, just not the excercise void.

Now that empty nesting is upon us, I think it is time to reconnect with the wife and travel more, so that may help as well.
It's a big world. Get out there. Yeah, that's a bit problematic at the moment, but there's plenty of research and planning to do.

Belize, Costa Rica, Patagonia, Scotland, Austria, Italy, Mongolia, Vietnam, Bolivia...

There are tons of great domestic sites as well, you just have to figure out what you want to see and do. Mountains, music, ocean, freshwater, waterfalls, food, desert, glacier, rain forest...
Old 09-15-2020, 05:08 PM

"Mehs" happen! As others have said, more than OK to take a break, even a years long one. Seems to be almost a likelihood with mixture of sport/hobby/crafting/social club that is cycling, certainly was for me a few years ago, but did come back over the last two years.

Though watching pro cycling after a hiatus takes some work - everyone I was familiar with is now retired..
Old 09-15-2020, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post
Been eating, drinking, living on cycling for the last ten years or so, and this year I'm just not feeling it.

Cycling doldrums.

Lucky to get one measly ride in a week. Started out with a great spring due to covid, then got busy at work and just haven't been enjoying it much.

TDF is on and I've watched like 5 min of it, where I used to watch at work, and then go home to rewatch.

Got a new frame to build and it's just sitting in the box.

Thinking of letting my leg hairs grow out.

Help me.

How do you get that spark back?
I think it is natural. I soured on “training” rides when I really wasn’t training for anything. I was also tired of being chased by dogs or dumb people in cars.

I sold my bikes and moved on.

But that only lasted a year. I bought a single speed and have been having a blast again. No fancy shoes or bibs. Converse and shorts at 20MPH is fun.

Now I am looking at building a proper road bike as well as another single speed. I just needed to change my focus.
Old 09-15-2020, 05:32 PM

Same. Some life changes going on. It'll come back on it's own accord....
Old 09-15-2020, 07:08 PM

A few years ago I tired of the road and spent several years on relatively flat dirt and limestone trails riding a fixed gear -- some of the most enjoyable riding I've ever done.

No matter what, take the self-imposed pressure off and give yourself a break...