Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-15-2020, 01:08 PM

"meh" on cycling

Been eating, drinking, living on cycling for the last ten years or so, and this year I'm just not feeling it.

Cycling doldrums.

Lucky to get one measly ride in a week. Started out with a great spring due to covid, then got busy at work and just haven't been enjoying it much.

TDF is on and I've watched like 5 min of it, where I used to watch at work, and then go home to rewatch.

Got a new frame to build and it's just sitting in the box.

Thinking of letting my leg hairs grow out.

Help me.

How do you get that spark back?
Old 09-15-2020, 01:17 PM
More Cowbell!

I hit the same wall a couple years ago.

I've just felt that the sport takes too much time out of my day, for instance I feel like I get the same workout from a 30 min run vs a 2 hr bike ride.

In those 1.5 hrs, I could be walking my dog, cleaning my home, or reading a few chapters in a good book.... so that's basically what i've been doing lol. also, the sport is also so damn expensive.

I keep telling myself, i'll eventually come back to cycling, but tbh, i haven't and I don't miss it either.

I'm just keeping my bikes just in case though, because you just never know.
Old 09-15-2020, 01:18 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post
Been eating, drinking, living on cycling for the last ten years or so, and this year I'm just not feeling it.

Cycling doldrums.

Lucky to get one measly ride in a week. Started out with a great spring due to covid, then got busy at work and just haven't been enjoying it much.

TDF is on and I've watched like 5 min of it, where I used to watch at work, and then go home to rewatch.

Help me.

Been there. Like many things in life there is an ebb and flow to things. Let your leg hair grow out while you build up that new frame. As you get close to being done with the build, you will have the itch to get out and get some wind flowing through your hair on that new ride (to also help alleviate those itchy legs)!!

W.
Old 09-15-2020, 01:20 PM
Administrator

nah, dont push it, dont feel guilty about it.

i have a lot of hobbies, sometimes it'll be years between activity.

cycling will always be there for you, come back when you're ready.

try and force it, and it may push you further away.
Old 09-15-2020, 01:21 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:

Cycling doldrums.

Help me.

dude I am not sure why but same here. Just have not been ridding and not really excited to ride.
Old 09-15-2020, 01:26 PM

Quote:

Cycling doldrums.

Help me.

Well, an interesting starting point is examining the activities that do get your juices flowing. If you can tick off a number of those, then I would say cycling (at least temporarily) has lost its zest for you. If not, it may be a matter of something else.

For me, cycling is the “doldrums” antidote.
Old 09-15-2020, 01:37 PM

very relatable sentiment

motivation, not just this season has been little to nil, and as riding partners taper or move away.

pushing projects to see if i can rekindle, unclear if thats even effective. Projects and repairs/updates just sitting waiting.

One would think with some extra time due to COVID that id have more time and energy to ride, but that doesnt seem to be the case

I think maybe its healty to take a break, but when we do the weight and or guilt of not participating in something we once held so dearly gets heavier, we grieve for it maybe.

I think ill come back around, hope you to do. And know you arent alone
Old 09-15-2020, 01:42 PM

If other things are lighting you up, put the energy there and come back to cycling when you're ready.

If nothing is lighting you up, it may be something you want to look at reaching out to some professionals for help on..... this year has been tough for everyone and low-grade depression has seeped into many people's lives (or ramped significantly for others). There are some good threads here to search out on the topic.
Old 09-15-2020, 01:43 PM

I've had a few times in my life where I took a break from cycling--when our daughter was born, while I was building a house, and writing a book. Instead I swam, ran and did other things. But each time, I came back to some aspect of cycling that I hadn't previously explored: vintage bikes, bikepacking, touring, and commuting.

My advice would be don't force it if it doesn't bring you joy. But, don't be surprised if you get back into cycling in a future.

Scott "Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in" Corleone

Quote:

Cycling doldrums.

Help me.

Old 09-15-2020, 01:44 PM

Wish more of my friends felt this way. I certainly do. It would be nice to take up a hobby which requires more skill. Something like golf.
Old 09-15-2020, 01:44 PM

Taking a break from cycling is fine, but I would be careful if you're taking a break from all physical activities. It can be easy to slip into a funk of inactivity, that creates a bad feedback cycle. If you're not interested in cycling because you're running, surfing, or playing basketball, no worries. If you're not interested in cycling because you're spending evenings on the couch watching Netflix, I'd suggest forcing yourself back into riding regularly.
Old 09-15-2020, 01:47 PM

Me too kinda. I’ve just been in a funk in general. Work is more stressful, less pay, and not fun; the pandemic stay at home routine has worn thin with no real end in sight. Bike riding is my usual escape but the legs haven’t felt good and I’ve been doing shorter rides more out of habit.

Some friends sent me pics of various bike packing trips (s24o) and I’ve been thinking of that but will need to get some gear. I’ve been thinking of throwing a bike in the car and going somewhere different to ride for a couple of days. I miss the 2-3 times per year I meet up with long distance friends to ride.

Also, local gym closed and I can’t get my hoop time. Days I don’t ride, I’d usually go to the gym, run up and down the court and work on my NBA 3 pointer. Occasionally get in a pick up game and show the youngsters how to play some defense and set a pick. I really miss that.

Last edited by Spaghetti Legs; 09-15-2020 at 05:26 PM.
Old 09-15-2020, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130R View Post
I've just felt that the sport takes too much time out of my day, for instance I feel like I get the same workout from a 30 min run vs a 2 hr bike ride.

In those 1.5 hrs, I could be walking my dog, cleaning my home, or reading a few chapters in a good book.... so that's basically what i've been doing lol. also, the sport is also so damn expensive.
This is exactly what happened to me in my master's program, and, now, mid-way through a doctorate, i'm picking it back up after a 4 year gap where I cycled through weight-lifting, running, swimming, trail running, and open-water swimming!

It does indeed return...
Old 09-15-2020, 01:54 PM
Robin (she/her)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
If other things are lighting you up, put the energy there and come back to cycling when you're ready.

If nothing is lighting you up, it may be something you want to look at reaching out to some professionals for help on..... this year has been tough for everyone and low-grade depression has seeped into many people's lives (or ramped significantly for others). There are some good threads here to search out on the topic.
👆🏼 This.
Old 09-15-2020, 01:59 PM

Happens to all of us. For me some years it happens mid summer. This year......today.

What worked for me was riding the mtb on local forest trails. I just need a break from motor vehicles and the slowsuck of riding on roads that I know like the back of my hand.