Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-27-2020, 08:01 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
“It’s not the meat it’s the motion”?
I heard Maria sing that in a small club a decade ago...quite good live.

Sing your camels to bed ...
Old 09-17-2020, 03:08 PM

Adding to this thread; anyone try the new Paul Smith Jerseys/kit?
Competitively priced and, well, stylish!

https://www.paulsmith.com/uk/cycling...nd-accessories
Old 09-17-2020, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaAndBikes View Post
Adding to this thread; anyone try new Paul Smith Jerseys/kit?
Competitively priced and, well, stylish!

https://www.paulsmith.com/uk/cycling...nd-accessories
Um...I'm not a fan. I liked his earlier, classier "bespoke" stuff. I think he and Rapha have collectively "jumped the aesthetic shark." The day-glo stuff doesn't do anything for me. One possible exception if Raphas's "brevet" line. But even then, they veer into strange color combos, like navy blue jerseys with yellow piping. I guess if you're a Cal fan, it's great.

I do like merino, however. I find that the combination of merino and chunkier tires is great. I have some summer lightweight stuff coming from Cafe Du Cycliste and Cima Coppi that I'm anxious to try.

Nalini and De Marchi have some good merino offerings as well. Rode my "1970" jersey on a ride today. Perfect for 65 degrees or so. Also pictured: the seminal Rapha/Paul Smith collaboration. The "Maglia Nera." Robj was kind enough to sell it back to me after I sold it to him. And here it shall stay ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4692.jpg (117.2 KB, 285 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4694.jpg (125.7 KB, 292 views)
Old 09-18-2020, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
Some of the CDC kits are pretty out there indeed.... You are starting to see a few around here though.

Like this as another example

Does this actually work when riding?
Old 09-18-2020, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Um...I'm not a fan. I liked his earlier, classier "bespoke" stuff. I think he and Rapha have collectively "jumped the aesthetic shark." The day-glo stuff doesn't do anything for me. One possible exception if Raphas's "brevet" line. But even then, they veer into strange color combos, like navy blue jerseys with yellow piping. I guess if you're a Cal fan, it's great.

I do like merino, however. I find that the combination of merino and chunkier tires is great. I have some summer lightweight stuff coming from Cafe Du Cycliste and Cima Coppi that I'm anxious to try.

Nalini and De Marchi have some good merino offerings as well. Rode my "1970" jersey on a ride today. Perfect for 65 degrees or so. Also pictured: the seminal Rapha/Paul Smith collaboration. The "Maglia Nera." Robj was kind enough to sell it back to me after I sold it to him. And here it shall stay ...
It's nice looking stuff but I think it has a rather limited audience in the world of cycle clothing. I think Rapha was smart to move beyond it while still remaining true to the Classic and Brevet line.

Just an opinion.

Last edited by charliedid; 09-18-2020 at 08:01 AM.
Old 09-18-2020, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpw View Post
No, once you start pedaling the sleeves fall off and the insulation pours out
Old 09-18-2020, 07:51 AM

Quote:
I have that piece in a different color way. For me, it's good at about 20 degrees, commuting at about 30. Even then, I'll keep the pace down.
Old 09-18-2020, 07:55 AM

Quote:
I can't tell as I do not have one. But a couple of buddies to not seem to complain. It's pretty warm.
Old 09-18-2020, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
It's nice looking stuff but I think it has a rather limited audience in the world of cycle clothing. I think Rapha was smart to move beyond it while still remaining true to the Classic and Brevet line.

Just an opinion.
“Evolve or Perish.” No doubt. I’ll always like the classic, understated look though. Vélobici does a good job of maintaining a classic aesthetic while using modern materials. I have their sand “René” jersey, because brown is the new pink.

P.S. If anyone has a Velobici "wine" jersey in an "XL" they'd like to sell, please PM me
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 30057B7A-13C2-46C9-95B6-FF7B833264DA.jpg (81.0 KB, 220 views)
File Type: jpg 37A65374-EAC3-4126-AE54-684C375862F8.jpg (49.3 KB, 217 views)

Last edited by XXtwindad; 09-18-2020 at 08:52 AM.
Old 09-18-2020, 08:54 AM

Quote:
“Evolve or Perish.” No doubt. I’ll always like the classic, understated look though. Vélobici does a good job of maintaining a classic aesthetic while using modern materials. I have their sand “René” jersey, because brown is the new pink.
Yeah no doubt it's easier than ever to find neo-retro styling in high quality garments. Back in the mid 90's when we were trying to look beyond the pale it was all Legnano and Molteni acrylic stuff. Then SWOBO and others started pushing retro wool with "classic" designs. DeMarchi was always there but hard to get and $$$ back then. No chance.

I love most of the new color palette Rapha is using on some of it's stuff. It's appeal IMO aims straight at a younger more diverse bike culture wing of cycling while still maintaining the real core of Rapha which is understated classics and modern pro team.

I dig these.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 8.53.58 AM.jpg (24.0 KB, 210 views)
Old 09-18-2020, 09:17 AM

Each to their own! I worked at Rapha during some of their worst colour combos (like the pastel yellow and pastel purple randoneé shorts), but these have got to be the most ludicrous colour combos to ever exist. The purple is passable actually but the green and brown. Oof!
Old 09-18-2020, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbrwn View Post
Each to their own! I worked at Rapha during some of their worst colour combos (like the pastel yellow and pastel purple randoneé shorts), but these have got to be the most ludicrous colour combos to ever exist. The purple is passable actually but the green and brown. Oof!
It's not for everyone and I would buy the purple and red one over the green and brown but it seems to be on trend. Take a look at some of the newest colors at Patagonia. I think my point is that it's good that they are just standing still.

And not just looking behind them for inspiration.

Last edited by charliedid; 09-18-2020 at 09:38 AM.
Old 09-18-2020, 05:33 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbrwn View Post
Just shows you how personal fashion taste is. I own and really like the purple randonée shorts…and wish I'd bought the yellow ones, too.

Of course, not everyone can pull off those colors ;-)

Definitely not a fan of these new brevet schemes, except the hot pink gilet with pockets, I'd rock that if I didn't have an abundance of gilets.
Old 09-18-2020, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
Just shows you how personal fashion taste is. I own and really like the purple randonée shorts…and wish I'd bought the yellow ones, too.

Of course, not everyone can pull off those colors ;-)

Definitely not a fan of these new brevet schemes, except the hot pink gilet with pockets, I'd rock that if I didn't have an abundance of gilets.
Ha! Well there were warehouses overflowing with them while they were on sale for about a year
Old 09-23-2020, 03:11 PM

Quote:

P.S. If anyone has a Velobici "wine" jersey in an "XL" they'd like to sell, please PM me
First ride report with the Velobici Rene jersey. In "sand" because brown is the new pink.

Morning ride with the weather about 65 degrees. First leg of the ride is about 1,100 feet of climbing 70 percent paved, and 30 percent dirt. I took off my insulated brevet within five minutes of starting the climb.

The jersey breathes incredibly well. Made for much hotter temps than the conditions in which I was wearing it. The descent was windy but I never felt chilly and never bothered to put the brevet back on. I do tend to run hotter, however.

The fit is snug. Not "Pas Normal" snug, but in the same vicinity. I'm six feet and roughly 200. 42 chest and broad shoulders. Off the bike, the jersey rides up to my waistline. It's therefore best worn with a bib. The material is extremely forgiving. I never felt constricted - either on or off the bike.

So, let's talk about aesthetics. My Partner's take: an unqualified "no." To her eyes, it looked "vintage ...like something out of the Sixties."

My take: exactly. That's why I like it. Classic retro looks. The little touches like the zipper (a "VB" coin) the pockets and the honeycomb stitching give it timeless appeal.

They're on sale now, but are sold out of most sizes. If there are any left in sizes that fit you, I say grab 'em.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rene-sand-studio-brad-site-3.jpg (98.9 KB, 87 views)