Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-11-2017, 10:20 AM

Cold Weather Clothing...

I am looking to push my cycling to the colder months in OH but at kind of a loss what to purchase in regards to clothing. I have a nice set of Assos bibs - do I need another set with chamois and long legs?

I doubt I will be riding much in the 40s or below. What jacket and glove recommendations do people have (reasonable please)?

Am I missing anthing?
Old 09-11-2017, 11:01 AM

I like DeFeet's gloves personally. They're cheap, and I can layer with a second pair if my hands get cold.

For riding in the 40s, I'm usually good with arm warmers, something covering my knees and a decent vest. But everyone is different and it usually takes a bit of experimentation to find what works for you.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:34 AM

You'll get a lot of different answers, but riding in the low 50s (you said no 40s) I doubt you'll need more than arm warmers and a thin long finger glove or glove liner. Add leg warmers and booties if you get cold.

When I was young and stupid my answer was just "ride harder" to warm up. Works out OK until you have a problem and have to ride home in 15* degree weather with a broken arm wearing summer kit + arm warmers and gloves.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:42 AM

Second that. Everyone likes to dress differently. Especially since you aren't going to ride in true Ohio winter weather, you can be using leg warmers, bib tights with chamois, or unlined bib tights that you wear over your regular bib shorts. People like different approaches due to fit, comfort on the bike, ability to keep warm, etc.

For starters, I'd suggest at the temps you describe that you simply get a pair of decent leg warmers and see how they do. It's simply cheaper by far than spending on any version of bib tights. If you don't like leg warmers, I generally suggest people use unlined bib tights and pull them over their existing bib shorts -- you already have something next to your skin that you know works for you -- so you have the best odds of something that feels comfortable. But it's all about fit, and bib tights are as difficult to fit properly as bib shorts.

As for the rest of your kit, a nice riding jacket from any of the major manufacturers is good. Get something formfitting and a knit fabric rather than just a rain jacket. The latter catch the wind a lot more and don't insulate you as well. Add layers underneath as needed. In those temperatures and for the wet roads in Ohio in the cooler seasons, I'd suggest the Castelli Gabba 2 long-sleeve jersey. It breathes well, it's very durable, comfortable, and it keeps you warm on the bike. With one or two thin layers underneath, you should be set.

Gloves and shoes (or shoe covers) are a whole different topic. Read the hundreds of threads on here about them. They are very personal matters and you should read all the opinions and ventings before buying anything. There's a whole art to riding in cooler weather -- newspaper on the chest, fenders, choice of glasses, you name it -- and it's a learning curve you'll have to go through to figure out what works for you.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:46 AM

As was already said, it depends. There are days in the 50's where I can wear arm and knee warmers with a base layer and vest, and on other days, I'll need layers with a LS jersey or wind jacket, because of wind chill or high humidity. Try and layer whenever you can, to give yourself options as conditions change.

I'd also include a thin beanie for under your helmet, or a cycling cap if style is your priority. You may not need it all day, but a warm squash makes a difference in overall comfort.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDollarsign View Post
I doubt I will be riding much in the 40s...
Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
As was already said, it depends. There are days in the 50's where I can wear arm and knee warmers with a base layer and vest...
Off topic and not helpful, but it always sounds like a surrealist Monty Python sketch about time travel when Americans talk about temps using the old Fahrenheit system. Riding "in the 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s" etc.

"I don't do much riding in the 30s, as I can't really afford a bike during the Depression. Not much riding in the 40s either, as I'm too busy fighting fascism. Aren't you? I like riding in the 50s, having moved out to the suburbs, but in the 60s traffic and smog start getting pretty bad, plus there's all the drugs and groovy music distracting you. In the 70s you need to wrap your bell-bottoms up properly or they get caught in the crank. The 80s aren't very aerodynamic, what with all the big hair and shoulder pads. Then in the 90s the obesity epidemic kicks into high gear, so I ditch the bike for an SUV for my daily trips to Walmart for all my material needs. By the time I hit the 00s (noughties?) I barely leave the house anymore, so cycling's the last thing on my mind."

Heh. Carry on...
Classics Fan

Yeah, everyone is different, and it depends on what route you're doing.

I find that a mostly flat to small rolling hills (less than 3 minutes of climbing) can be done mostly comfortably if it is a steady effort. The hardest thing I deal with is rides that involve longer climbs (up to 20 or 30 minutes) followed by long descents. Do this at less than 50 degrees invariably means being a bit uncomfortable on both ascents AND descents, unless you want to to choose an extreme to dress for.

I'd say trial and error. I have a couple nice thermal base layers of different thicknesses that I can wear under a jersey. Bib knickers are also helpful. Depending on your feet's tolerance for cold, consider some shoe covers (come in varying thicknesses, and also in some that just cover your toes. In the past, I've used aluminum foil or a plastic bag around my toes (inside the shoe) to provide the same kind of wind block.
Old, Fat & Slow

One of the best bits of winter cycling kit I own is a Lazer helmet with the aeroshell.

All I needed last winter was a band to cover my ears. No beanies. No balaclavas. Nuthin.

It's time for knee warmers and arm warmers to come out of their hibernation. I follow the old 'if its under 60 degrees, cover your knees' adage.

From now till it gets 'cold' you can probably get away with layering a few summer base layers under SS jerseys. Merino is good 'cause it insulates when it's wet (IOW you misjudged how warm the day was going to get. AMHIK)

Toe covers will come out 'soon.' Once it gets into the 50s consistenly, I'll start wearing them.

HTH

M
Old 09-11-2017, 12:55 PM

40-55f

In addition to a knit cap, I like to fine-tune to the temperature with a helmet cover.
Toe covers, gloves, arm/leg warmers (or tights over shorts) are also easy to stuff in pockets as the day warms up.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:33 PM

I have a Castelli Alpha jacket that I think is the greatest thing ever. Has its own base layer, so I can ride it with a LS jersey or base layer when it's really cold, a SS base or just a jersey for when it's kind of cold, or just the jacket with no base for when it's chilly but still cold.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:23 PM

All great suggestions so far. I would add, get yourself some winter riding gloves - mine have been one of the best investments for riding I ever made. They're literally the difference between me riding and not on cold days. Many great versions available, and they dont have to cost a fortune either.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:26 PM

Cinti winter riding

I live in Cinti and ride all winter down to 25 deg which is pretty cold compared to normal. All ideas above are good. Feel free to pm me if you want to talk about local conditions etc.

I have been riding in winter for many years so of course I am opinionated. Everyone has different tolerances about winter riding so a customized approach is needed. You don't have to spend a lot of money on winter stuff - just buy it once and it lasts for a very long time.

Alan
Old 09-11-2017, 03:28 PM

I don't think you need to go overboard if you're talking about riding in the 50s... a decent windbreaker, a wool base layer, some knee warmers, maybe some embrocation.. I have gloves for colder weather, but to be honest the ones I use for that temp range are from Walmart (wind bloc type material).
Old 09-11-2017, 04:10 PM

Wool. Lots of it!
Old 09-18-2020, 08:13 AM

Anyone have this version yet?

Thoughts on it regarding fit and wind stopping please.

https://www.gorewear.com/us/en-us/c5...iABEgJVz_D_BwE
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 8.12.04 AM.jpg (28.9 KB, 82 views)