Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-16-2020, 10:31 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

OT: Running gear for colder weather

All my "wear ABC from T1 to T2, and DEF from T2 to T3" notes are for cycling, and not really applicable to running. With the weather about to turn, I'm thinking about what I'll need over the next few months.

So here's my first (but probably not last) question on this topic:

At at about what temperature do you typically switch from your "summer / normal" shoes & socks to something warmer? My Altra Escalante 2's have "knit" uppers which are great right now, but might be an issue later. I don't know how low I'm going to go in Jan and Feb, but if possible I might as well take advantage of the fact that it's a lot easier to jog in the winter than it is to ride.

TIA
Old 09-16-2020, 11:16 PM

If you are running on clean surfaces, I think all you need is just heavier socks. You don't have the wind issues and you probably don't run as long as you ride. I will still run when it is too cold to ride, and cold feet is not something I worry about and I wear NIKE REACT knit uppers.

If you run through snow, then it is a different issue since the snow will melt through the knit. If you plan to do this, I'd look for a gore-tex upper in a running shoe.
Old 09-17-2020, 06:00 AM

Back when I used to run a lot, I never changed shoes with the season. Slightly heavier socks when the temps got into the 20s, but otherwise no change. My issue was keeping my hands warm, never my feet.
Old 09-17-2020, 10:47 AM

I run year round and second the use of heavier socks. Look for a shoe with a grippy sole like a trail runner if you anticipate snow and ice.

Gore Tex is nice but can waterproof any shoe - I use whatever waterproofing we have around the house
Old 09-17-2020, 11:07 AM
n - 1

My running outfits are simple:

Summer temps, shorts and shirt.

Fall (32-50 deg) - lightweight tights and L/S shirt. Long for colder and just above mid-calf for 45-50. Regular shoes with regular socks.

Winter (10-32 deg) - Thermal tights (got them on amazon for $20). Thermal base layer I used to use for skiing. Fleece gloves. Regular socks and waterproof shoes and gators (lots of slush in winter with the snow). May start out a little cold but by mile 1, I’m toasty warm.
Old 09-17-2020, 12:09 PM

Running - cold + hot

Seems like I do more consistent running vs. cycling.

So, looking at my closet

Temperate climes - shorts + shirt; when the weather dips, I sometimes go for a long sleeve base layer + shirt; a little cooler, same as above but with a beanie.

Less than temperate climes - replace all of the above with tights; when I used to travel a lot (and find myself in the Northeast or the Midwest in the winter), I would supplement the above with a thin wind-vest and/or thicker tights. In the really frigid stuff, a thinner jacket + maybe neck gaiter.

My go-to shoe is the Hoka Clifton. In really sloppy weather (ice + snow) and trails, I switch to Challenger ATR.

Little/no sock changes here.

m_b
Old 09-17-2020, 12:16 PM

Through it all, I wear pretty much the same shoes and socks. (Altra Timp for year-round road & trail w/ some wooleator socks, for example). I have found slush to be as slippery as ice without at least some lugs on the outsole.

Once it gets into the lower 40s and below, I'll start wearing tights, a base layer with a SS shirt, and light gloves.

Into the 20s and below calls for a mid layer, a thermal cycling vest, and warmer hat.

Low teens and below calls for a handkerchief or other reinforcement for the crotch! Wind proof codpiece is important at those temps!
Old 09-17-2020, 01:14 PM

Same shoes year-'round for me, but that's not too frigid -- only down into the teens. I like really thin socks (single layer coolmax) down into the forties, then switch to a lightweight merino, then midweight merino. I do have a pair of running shoes with a gore-tex upper, but hardly ever use them. Only if I know it's going to be messy and also if I'm going out longer than an hour.

I'm shorts and a t-shirt down into the low fifties or upper forties, but I'm weird in that I'll run with a short-sleeve t-shirt but add gloves in the lower part of that range. Then switch to a light technical long sleeve over the technical t-shirt. Mid-forties I'll add lightweight lycra tights.

Thirties and twenties, down into the teens and single digits, I switch to heavyweight tights, or lastly both pairs of tights. Add a thin cap, thin balaclava in the twenties, both in the low teens and into the single digits. High twenties is a single thin long-sleeve plus breathable wind jacket. Mid twenties, short sleeve plus long sleeve plus wind layer. Teens and below, long sleeve, fleece midlayer (vest or long sleeve), wind layer.

The only two real "secrets" are the windproof protection in the groin and a truly breathable wind layer. To me, I'd rather have it more breathable and less wind protection if it comes down to that. I've got two jackets that I trade between: one is from Craft and uses their own material; the other, for nastier conditions, uses Polartec NeoShell.

In general, you can push your cycling wardrobe ~10-15 degrees colder when running since you generate more heat and don't have as much wind chill.

YMMV, of course!
Old 09-17-2020, 05:17 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Thanks for the info guys.

I was hoping that I wouldn't need another pair of shoes, and make it with just warmer socks. It sounds like that's most likely a good plan, unless it turns out that I also want to do this in slushy conditions, in which case all bets are off.

One good thing about the Altras is that they certainly have plenty of room to accommodate slightly thicker socks compared to the thin ones I'm currently using.

I think I can also use some of my other cycling stuff like glove liners, ear covers, my beanie, long sleeve tops, etc.

Thanks again.
Old 09-17-2020, 08:29 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

I pretty much don't change shoes thru the year. ...or socks for that matter. I pretty much run in Smartwool year round.

I run warm riding and running so I tend to wear less than most. Lightweight LS top and a Shake Dry jacket with tights of varying thicknesses depending on the temps

I wear a hat, I get too hot. If it's cold enough, I'll wear an ear band, but nothing that covers my head.

I did a 'rule #5' run today. I had LOTS of reasons to skip the run: cool, rainy, tired, yadda yadda yadda. Went anyways and had a great run thru the woods

M
Old 09-17-2020, 10:09 PM

I wear the same shoes year round. Only reason I change is for traction. If it gets extra snowy, I'll consider wearing my trail shoes on a road run. Otherwise, just wear some thicker socks to keep the toes warm.

Gloves are my best friend when running in the cold. I have some felt "liner" gloves and recently got some very thin mittens in case I need something for colder weather (below 40). That's also when the hat and a long-sleeve come in. Tights if it's below 40 and windy/wet. Otherwise I know my legs will warm up and I'll be fine.